• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

OldManDan

Cambodian monotubs, first timer

OldManDan

Just noc'd my first jars of WBS yesterday, time will tell if there's contamination.  Also noc'd a jar of LC to keep things going if it works out. 

Started by cleaning the sunflower seeds out of the WBS.  Poured boiling water into 5 gallon bucket, covered 90 minutes with towel, poured into strainer and rinsed.  Put 1/4 cup coarse vermiculite in bottom of quart jars and added the WBS.  Pressure cooked for 90 minutes.

Made the LC with karo and water, PC for 90 mins also.  Thanks for the easy to follow videos @mushzombie .  

Sprayed a crap load of lysol everywhere, put gloves on, soaked a paper towel in rubbing alcohol and wiped off gloves and syringe and wiped the SHIP's on each jar before injecting, also heated syringe tip until orange before each one.  Glove box was not tall enough to noc the jars without leaning them on side so I opted not to use it, hope it doesn't come back to bite me.  

The jars of WBS and the LC are now sitting in my closet, have a tower heater set at 78, it has gotten the wbs up to 81 degrees though when it's running so I didn't want to turn it higher.  

Will do everything in my power to not check on these daily.  These will he going into a 58 qt monotub (couldn't find 60 qt anywhere) with 50/50+ casing.  I also found 80qt container that came with multiple latches and weatherstripping already on it at Target, so of course I bought it.  If the LC ends up working out I'll attempt to use it to noc more WBS jars for the 80qt monotub.  If it doesn't work out I do have golden teacher spore print which I will be making agar for today with malt agar extract.  Also will have more syringested in the mail whenever my beginner starter pack gets here, so I could wait, but I'd rather have multiple monotubs going to keep me a little busier with any free time I have to keep my mind from wandering and thinking about my wifes cancer.

One question I do have is should I wait until the jars are colonized completely to mix and pressure cook my bulk substrate?  Everything at home is about to be a mess, because of my wifes cancer her parents are coming to visit and guess where they're staying???? Dun dun dun at our house.   My wife already agreed to get them out of the house for the day when I need to get the pressure cooker back in action for the substrate, not sure how exactly that's going to work out, maybe spray a bunch of air freshener and open the doors before they come home?  

Will edit and upload pictures later, bored at work and wanted to get a head start on this. 

Absent Thoughts

Good vibes your way. 

Mushinist

Good luck!

Can't wait to see fruits!

OldManDan

I think I waited to long to edit, here's some pics.

20190112_120540.thumb.jpg.7652e1b152581f8d93f81a9e1ae9e9d4.jpg

20190112_120615.jpg.db9b65c7f43cda72b994a4f1d97230e2.jpg20190112_120408.jpg.1abb4c3687066d4efa4c49808513edf7.jpg

haven't added the polyfill yet, but I have it.20190112_120346.jpg.8c1626df3bfd3ffee7b843eb952ea2b0.jpg

Going to be using this old led grow light since I can use only the whites.  The whites are 4 10 watt led chips, I'll keep them dimmed down all the way most likely.  They started to fail a few years ago and I never got around to fixing them, so they do flash very quickly like a strobe light kind of, asuming the driver is bad for them, if it works for this though then I'm not going to fix it.  20190112_120725.jpg.fd854bebe47698a1204a7f6af2d0a2da.jpg

20190101_124205.jpg

darkvoyager

HEY! I have that same tub! Works great, I have 2 with those 1 inch holes and I find during fruiting I can leave them OPEN no poly and keep RH above 90% Just a tip. 

Min regards to your question don’t PC your bulk until the jars are READY to spawn 

• Like 1

GoAuto6

I will be following along I have some

Pan Cambo I'll be getting the LC together in the next few days!! 

OldManDan

Heres the LC after roughly 60 hours, tons of little floaters like this.20190114_065649.thumb.jpg.f251527f7f544820fda736a275a2ed02.jpg

To early to tell if anything is going on in the WBS I think.

• Like 1

OldManDan

Figured I'd update with some pics since it's been a few days.  

20190116_233023.thumb.jpg.750eca43e4fc7b730a66c84df49a1b3f.jpg

LC at 5 days, looks like the smaller pieces chained together.  I'm under the assumption the dark parts are clusters of sporesimageproxy.php?img=&key=49739940d2821ad720190116_233853.jpg.90c36a50c5bd96ca4f936c89555196f5.jpg

One of 5 wbs jars, also 5 days.  Chunk at top left held together by myc.  Hard to see, tough to get good pics without investing in a better camera.  

20190116_233424.jpg.a3262f7431d872091da3bdaf260b791a.jpg

Another fuzzy piece in a different jar, looks like there's larger pieces in there too.  

Everything above is the cambodian spores.  I also started some golden teacher on agar from a spore print using pre mixed malt extract agar powder from another random mycology webpage.  It does appear some white fuzziness is growing on it, very tough to look inside the pint jars though and I haven't built a flow hood yet so no way to take pics of it until I transfer to a wbs or LC jar.  I used a glovebox and just cleaned my knife with rubbing alcohol and scraped across the print and cut through the agar a few times, wasn't expecting anything to be growing in the agar yet as I think it's only been 3 days, made it on the 13th, put in fridge until it solidified then transferred the spores while it was still a little warm to the touch in the middle.  

Just wondering on the agar, as long as it's only white fuzziness growing I'm good?  Once I give it a few more days it will be easier to see what's on it I guess.

Going to prep some more wbs and LC soon as I have more spores incoming, will update when I can.

20190116_233424.jpg

• Like 1

OldManDan

20190118_185052.jpg.ddbbe18ffcf449851e9b7c8d455a141a.jpg

Pretty crappy quality pic, but, everything was white.  Started GT spores on agar here 6 days ago.  Took pic in still air box, may be contaminated now but who knows, I'll find out soon enough.  

Cut into 6 pieces.  1 went into a jar of LC, 5 went into WBS jars.

Going to be doing another round of WBS and 1 LC in the next week or two, whenever my PES hawaiin spores get here from different vendor.