Start growing MJ

Hey gents,

Long time no see! I had to cut and drop everything in the house due to some worries about random home inspections, but the worry has passed and I am back. I had thrown everything out and now am starting from scratch. I've got some jars going and getting ready to make up some sub.
But that's not the reason for this specific post.

My home state just recently made growing weed legal, so I am going to go ahead and start growing for my own use. However, I have never actually grown anything. What are some starting tips that you have and what supplies should I get to get started. At max I will probably only grow 3 plants at a time. So what thoughts do you have, and resources for learning would be great too.

My best tip would be don't fall for expensive nutrients.  If your going chemical and not organic you can order Maxibloom in bulk.  It has macro and micro nutes in it, practically everything you need from start to finish.  I've even cloned in it in aeroponics setups, just very very low ppm.  Works fine for veg even though it's a bloom nute also.  I have a friend that's started to use ceramic metal halide bulbs and he did just pull down a pound on 600 watts (2 300 watt bulbs) and 1 plant.  He veg's for a long time though.  

If there's no restriction on plant count just run a few hundred red solo cups and start flowering as soon as your clones root.  Youll get a quarter to a half from each cup.  Poke holes in the bottom and put them in shallow trays and you can just water the trays and theyll pick up the water through the holes.  

My best growing was organic though, lower yields but the flavor was much better and you don't have to flush at all. No mixing nutrients, you mix it all in the substrate before you grow, then let it brew for a few days before planting in it.  I used 18 gallon rubber made totes as pots, you can tell when to water if you lift the tote and it isn't heavy.  I never liked the air pots but some of my friends do.  Do everything as cheap as you can, it won't turn out to much different when your new.  Once you learn what your doing you can fine tune and wok on quality.  

If your growing indoors use the winter to your advantage, run your lights at night and pull in outside air to cool down the room, just make sure you filter it to keep bugs and other bad stuff out.  Otherwise you can buy a big air conditioner If you want.   Run your lights with air cooling circuit of your own so you don't have to filter it.  Or maybe none of the filtering matters since its legal where you are???  Your neighbors will probably thank you for filtering though.  

Each strain is different, will need different levels of nutes etc, I'd recommend starting with just one, and cloning it until you get m better at growing that strain before you start to branch out and grow a bunch of different ones.  

If you really want to see some cool stuff look up vertical growing.  Hope I'm allowed to share a page with you.  Www.icmag.com.  go to the forums, best source of bud growing I've ever found.  Sorry if I'm not allowed to share that can a mod please edit it out?

Thanks for the tips Oldman, I appreciate the learning resource too.

Most of everything you said is a foreign language to me, like I said I am completely new at this one, never even attempted a grow before. But hopefully with the learning tools i'll be able to grow something for personal use.

Dude myco, those things are pretty af!

Quick question though, you said " PPM/ec (Going in and out) " idk what you're talking about here, PPM parts per million? of what?

Parts per million and electrical current of the water.  Measured before you feed and after(after is measured through runoff).  You can buy a meter to test water with nutrient solution. 

Although there is a K.I.S.S. method that wirks fine amd you dont need meters and a lot of water testing.  Just get Maxibloom and weigh out 7 grams per gallon of water, or use flora Nova bloom as directed.  With a ppm/EC meter you can fine tune exactly how much nutes your plants are getting for perfect dosage of the nutrients if you will.

Mycowannabe
On 1/18/2019 at 6:33 AM, OldManDan said:

Parts per million and electrical current of the water.  Measured before you feed and after(after is measured through runoff).  You can buy a meter to test water with nutrient solution. 

Although there is a K.I.S.S. method that wirks fine amd you dont need meters and a lot of water testing.  Just get Maxibloom and weigh out 7 grams per gallon of water, or use flora Nova bloom as directed.  With a ppm/EC meter you can fine tune exactly how much nutes your plants are getting for perfect dosage of the nutrients if you will.

Dan nailed it on the head with the ppms/ec.  In fact I'm using the KISS/Lucas Formula he mentioned.  (FloraNova Bloom, Cali Magic, and Kool Bloom the last couple weeks to plump those buds). I love it...connisueur grade cannabis and easy peasy. Once you have the correct nutrient ratio, you don't even have to adjust the ph.

FloraNova Bloom is an extremely potent nutrient, resembling sewer sludge.  It's an organic/synthetic blend.  You have to shake that bottle for 10 minutes or it will be too thick for your dropper to draw it in 😂.  I actually do a 1:1 mix with distilled water to  thin it out.  Just double the dosage. 

Here are my nutrients with a cured bud from my last grow.  Pretty simple eh?  Excellent yield and fire reviews.  They couldn't tell it was hydro because of less nutes.

20190123_181636.jpg

20190123_181511.jpg

20181222_214211_HDR.jpg

Update on current Lucas grow.  Just did the final stripping and trimming on my 3.  4 hours of complete and total Zen. Time to let em' go wild!

20190117_001730.jpg

20190122_213445.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Starting a bunch of clones myself, to bad you can't do agar work on weed.20200131_203255.jpg.4be889989ed5d82c63468168ff44920d.jpg

Mostly bubba kush and gorilla glue a few death stars in there also.

I lost 4 outta 25 after 2 weeks the lil ladies just didn't take hold for some reason.

• Like 1