• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

njheaz

Hello everyone! For the last few months I've been doing lots of reading on the effects and benefits of using psilocybin mushrooms and have decided I would give it a try. I have never had a real psychedelic experience unless you count a couple high dose cannabis edibles that sent me way beyond any place I have ever been. Without having friends who used psychedelic mushrooms I had no way of acquiring the mushrooms and with 2 feet of snow on the ground foraging was totally out of the question I also have zero experience with picking wild edibles so I knew this wasn't an option. 

Anyway, I decided to grow my own and this is where I'm at. 

I'm currently in the middle of my first attempt at growing my own mushrooms using the PF tek method with BRF cakes and a FC. So far I've had luck with all 10 cakes colonizing their jars without contamination. All 10 jars are at least 80% colonized or more… but variably so. They have been colonizing for 18 days at 71F with indirect sunlight coming through a window. The pictures are present time.

Here is my plan of attack. Once the jars are fully colonized I'll let them sit for another week so they can really take hold of the substrate. Then I'll birth them and soak for 24 hours. I have a FC where I'll use 4-5 inches of perlite and the cakes will sit on top of a small piece of tin foil. This is the point where I'm not quite sure what works best or what should be done and when. 

Once in the FC should I drop the temperature? I've seen some people say 68F is ideal while other people make no mention of temperature. 

What do I do if the cakes do not colonize at the same rate? Do I wait until they are all fully colonized or birth them as they become ready?

Once they are in the FC do I mist the perlite, walls, and the cakes… or only the perlite and walls? Also, how much do I mist each time? I plan on misting and fanning 2-3x/day. I'm not even really sure what I'm looking for when fanning to be honest. Seems like most people fan for 90 seconds to 2 minutes so I guess I'll follow suit. 

Last question that I have at this time is how do I go about picking? If a cake has some that are ready to pick and some that are not do I pick the entire cake or only the ones that are ready? 

I'm super stoked and will update too often!

fullsizeoutput_60.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_62.jpeg

Flawedprophecy

You want your rH up there.relative humidity.  Its a game getting it there. I guess I could say wetter is better. But not so much wet

• Like 2

Mushinist

Going to be hard to get 4-5 inches of wet perlite in there and keep it moist with holes that low on the tub.

Keep the humidity high, mist and fan a few times a day until you see pins, don't mist pins unless you fan them off completely otherwise you risk the aborting.

68-74° will be fine.

Don't put a uncolonized cake in there or you risk tam.

The mushrooms don't always grow at the same rate, if one grows way out ahead of the other's and matures way early then you can pick it and let the others grow some more. If they relatively growing at the same rate then pick them all at once.

Post questions as you go, thats what we're here for.

• Like 2

njheaz
On 1/28/2019 at 1:29 PM, Mushinist said:

Going to be hard to get 4-5 inches of wet perlite in there and keep it moist with holes that low on the tub.

Keep the humidity high, mist and fan a few times a day until you see pins, don't mist pins unless you fan them off completely otherwise you risk the aborting.

68-74° will be fine.

Don't put a uncolonized cake in there or you risk tam.

The mushrooms don't always grow at the same rate, if one grows way out ahead of the other's and matures way early then you can pick it and let the others grow some more. If they relatively growing at the same rate then pick them all at once.

Post questions as you go, thats what we're here for.

I also have holes on the bottom of the FC. Do you think it would be best to cover both the bottom row and bottom side holes with tape?

Is it necessary to monitor humidity with a sensor? I don't have one and didn't plan on using one unless it's necessary. I was under the impression that properly hydrated perlite and misting would maintain proper humidity levels. If you do recommend monitoring do you know of any good humidity sensors? 

Thanks for the help guys. I'll post during the birthing process if I have any questions about possible tam. I've learned that patience is crucial in this game but excitement is winning out. 

njheaz

I'm getting close to birthing the cakes but some jars are ahead of others in colonizing the substrate. I'd like to birth all cakes at the same time but don't want to risk some of the cakes pinning in the jar. Any advice on what I should do? I know I could birth as they become ready but doing them all in one step would make things easier. 

As far as the FC goes should I tape-off the holes on the bottom side and bottom row so that the perlite holds its water longer?

DonkeyHote

I prefer to let the cakes pin slightly in the jar. That's one way I know that they are ready to birth. You won't get too much water loss from the holes in the bottom. It should remain moist for weeks. If you want to raise humidity and lower FAE , tape up the holes. I typically tape the holes up until I see pins, then increase FAE (untape) to make the pins grow faster. I use paper masking tape. 

njheaz

Am I correct in thinking you want more FAE once pins start developing and more humidity up until they pin? I'll most likely tape up the holes with micropore tape just because I have lots left over. 

Do you leave the pins on when you soak them? I've read where they'll take in too much water and rot leading to contamination.

DonkeyHote
3 hours ago, njheaz said:

Am I correct in thinking you want more FAE once pins start developing and more humidity up until they pin? I'll most likely tape up the holes with micropore tape just because I have lots left over. 

Do you leave the pins on when you soak them? I've read where they'll take in too much water and rot leading to contamination.

That's the way I do my brf runs and it works for me. Most people say to remove the pins, but I leave them on. They will often be the first fruits you pick. If they fall off during the dunk and roll, so be it. It they're still on there, just go with it. If they rot, you can pluck them off easily enough. Mist the walls of the tub and fan 4X per day for 5 minutes. I use a timer. As they start to pin, cut back on the misting, but keep fanning the crap out of them. 

• Like 1

Wild Bill

I am a straight noob. Can someone look at my brick " i think its called that". It looks fully colonized. I have been trying to initiate pinning for the last week and don't know what I am doing wrong if anything? Thanks for your input!

Brick.jpg

njheaz

Half of the cakes are ready to be birthed today but I'm nervous because the mycelium does not seem dense enough to hold the cakes together. I tried to get pictures to show what I'm talking about but the camera isn't picking it up. The pictures I've seen show very dense white cakes with little BRF and vermiculite visible. My cakes appear to be fibrous and not dense with mycelium. The jars that are ready have been fully colonized for 7 days now. The other half of the jars still have another 3-4 days to go but appear to be following suit. Any ideas on what I should do?

mushmouth

You can leave the fully colonized cakes in the inc until the others are ready.

njheaz

Turns out I was worried about nothing. I think the distortion of looking through the textured jar and also the remaining moisture on the inside made the cakes look less dense than they should be. I birthed 4 cakes with no problems, knock on wood. I'll birth the remaining 6 within the next 4 days or so. Here is a picture of what the cakes looked like once birthed. 

Z2K+C7AxQM2j1fEs4CGcdA.jpg

• Like 1

njheaz

Been having some trouble with the first four cakes that were put in the FC. It's been 4 days with no pins and there appears to be contamination which I will try to highlight in the attached pictures. There is a slight green/blue hue starting to show on on the cakes. The other 6 are ready to be birthed, soaked, and put in the FC now but I'm hesitant to do so because of the possible tam. One of the 6 cakes has a cm long pin starting so I'm wondering about "in-vitro" fruiting. How would I go about doing this instead of birthing and putting into the FC? Thanks in advance for the help everyone. 

LF5cmxjCSmKwvcY7qgHIfw.jpg

BgrBRq6OQp+WlyVbcxP2ZA.jpg

51NVP+DmRRmRlQtZDwzhYw.jpg

oVbiC8RbSXa3mKXK3APptA.jpg

mushmouth

Looks like bruising. Maybe too dry.

Moonphase

Low humidity.   Bring up your RH ( Relative Humidity ).

njheaz

Plugged up some holes and also added a damp cloth to maintain a higher RH a couple days ago. Still no pins and bruising or tam has increased. I have been misting and fanning 3x/day. What do you guys think?

AapSkf6ERUmPImjwPCdt1g.jpg

+89SURa2TuSXv5H4JeXV6g.jpg

fR3cSw1XRC+BkhFUuNLVOw.jpg

The remaining 6 cakes are still in their jars and even they have not begun to pin. They have been in the jars since January 8th and have been fully colonized for at least 1 week, maybe just a day or two more. Mycelium looks healthy with no signs of tam in the jars. I'm worried about birthing them and putting them into the FC with the other 4 if that happens to be tam. Any ideas on in-vitro grows or maybe putting them into a small FC made of plastic tupperware or bag? What is the most important aspect to best initiate pinning?

njheaz

Ended up pitching the 4 cakes that were in the FC. Tam or bruising progressed to a point that made the cakes unsalvageable. I think you guys were 100% right in saying RH needed to be increased. I think my problem was with the FC and not using enough perlite. The stuff I had bought was miracle grow brand and looked like it had dirt mixed in with it, so I skimped out and only used half of what I wanted. 2 bags were dirty and two were clean and white like I thought they should be. I threw the dirty stuff out and ended up with just over 2 inches of perlite in the bottom of the FC. 

The remaining 6 I transitioned to an in-vitro grow style. I soaked them for 24 hours and put them back in their jars. I've been fanning them 2-3x/day for about a minute each time. They have been back in the jars for about 43 hours and still no signs of pinning. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to fail on attempt number 1. Thanks guys

njheaz

No more help guys? The cakes still appear to be healthy with condensation on the inside of the jars. No signs of pinning yet. I've been removing the lids 2x/day to fan. Any way I can salvage these things?

mushmouth

You need to get them back in your FC. Your perlite looks fine. Put 3 or 4 inches of it, well soaked, back in the bottom. Cover some of the holes. Give the cakes a good dunk and roll. Use bases as described in my cake tek.

• Like 1

njheaz

Quick update: a few of the remaining 6 cakes that were dunked and put back in their jars about a week ago are starting to pin. I have occasionally been taking the lids off to fan them… I've been slacking on that but I just wanted to keep things going until I could get the FC cleaned up and ready to go again. Only a pin or two on three of the cakes, but it's a start. I picked up more perlite and will be cleaning the FC and plugging up some of the holes. Should I dunk the cakes again or just wet them and roll in verm before putting them back in the FC?

Does this look like tam? All 6 cakes have this white fuzz on top.

AvktmvwYQk+wEd%g++04bA.jpg

njheaz

Finally have the remaining cakes dunked, rolled, and in the FC. Went from 2 inches of perlite to 5 inches. Removed the tape from the bottom and lower sides of the FC and propped it up on some jars to increase FAE. 

Rj80R053TwCNJ0DH2DUP5A.jpg

• Like 1

mushmouth

Holly crap that's a lot of perlite!!! :thumbs_up:

• Haha 2

njheaz

Going on 48 hours in the FC. My cheap non-digital Walmart hygrometer is constant at 80% humidity even with 5 inches of perlite and a cold air humidifier in the room. I've been misting and fanning 3-4x/day. Not sure if they are primordia or pins but there is only 4 or 5 total from the 6 cakes.

Is this tam surrounding one of the pins? 

kVB02bd3QE+qwJNbNQ0ziA.jpg

Zc2DZrSKSrOjaWXkAcg5MQ.jpg

DwZCVtM0QrWlslzjnbF3FQ.jpg

6ZeFdYZyQkuD%4bsxJ8UMA.jpg

u+UobsVrQIiUoVYQqCZvrQ.jpg

Mushpunx

Looks like bruising around it but I can't tell what's going on there dude! 

You can stop fanning, just mist. Lose the hygrometer too man, they just serve to confuse because the humidity that matters can't be measured by one, the surface humidity. Forget about RH. So long as your cakes have a nice layer of tiny droplets and you are misting when dry that's enough. That's how this type of FC was designed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

njheaz

It almost looks like the mycelium damaged the pin as it pushed its way out, might be psilocybin. It's not getting any worse and that little pin has gotten bigger since the first time I saw it. 

Putting your advice into practice. I'll post again once I see some changes.