• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Moonphase

Grow Log #2.

Moonphase

First 12 jars are being sterilized.  Figured I'd do a couple BRF jar teks.   A+ and Carumba.  They were freebies.   Getting into the swing of things before trying some bulk grows of penis envy, Tampanesis, before the Jalisco.   I'll noc' them up tomorrow morning.   Wish me luck.   :hippie: 

Moonphase

Noc'd up 8 jars with Carumba (Brazillian strain).   8 jars with 10 cc's.   Damn.  I am still an over squirter.  Was hoping to get 10 jars maybe even 12.   Nope.   Since I sterilized 12 I went ahead and noc'd up 4 jars with with A+ using up 5 cc's.   Don't think the A+ will do much but I had those extra 4 jars looking at me.   WTF right?   Today I'll start putting together a shopping list for rye berry bulk grows in 6 qt tubs.   I'll be doing 3 strains in bulk grows.   The A+.   Some Tampanesis.   And a penis envy.   It'll be an interesting spring.   12 jars in the electronics room where it's nice and warm for the next 5 weeks.  Now for a break.    :fyou: 

mushmouth

It's pretty difficult for me too.

• Like 1

Moonphase

Tick tock tick tock tick tock.   Is it 5 weeks yet?   The waiting is the hardest part.  

• Like 1

darkvoyager
32 minutes ago, Moonphase said:

Tick tock tick tock tick tock.   Is it 5 weeks yet?   The waiting is the hardest part.  

4/5 more days and I an bring my tubs out to fruit woo! haha

• Like 1

Moonphase

Wish I had started something before I went off on that 5 week vaca.   They would have been ready to fruit on my return.   Next time!   

darkvoyager
3 minutes ago, Moonphase said:

Wish I had started something before I went off on that 5 week vaca.   They would have been ready to fruit on my return.   Next time!   

I try to keep something at every stage so I never run out of shit to do, have 2 tubs coming out tomorrow, normally have spawn ready to go as soon as tubs free up but I started experiencing a little senescence and finally nocc'd with my clones so woo! plus I made a syringe that im debating on using now gotta keep something at every stage to stay busy or I end up bored as f with the hobby haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moonphase
1 hour ago, darkvoyager said:

I try to keep something at every stage so I never run out of shit to do, have 2 tubs coming out tomorrow, normally have spawn ready to go as soon as tubs free up but I started experiencing a little senescence and finally nocc'd with my clones so woo! plus I made a syringe that im debating on using now gotta keep something at every stage to stay busy or I end up bored as f with the hobby haha

Next time I leave somethings getting noc'd up a couple days before departure.  

Incubation closet temperature check today was holding steady at 81F.    I'll peek next week.    

• Like 1

Moonphase

Tomorrow I peek.   It'll give me a good idea of any differences since I peeked last time at 9 days.    Tick tock tick tock tick tock.   

aqudoc

Fingers crossed Moonphase

Moonphase

Peeked again today.   3 of the 10 Corumba jars appear to be 100% colonized or real close and may be ready for the fruiting chamber in 7-10 days.   4 of them have some, a failed to pack area, near the glass side and I am assuming that was due to me not wanting to pack them to tight while loading them.   The one I missed a noc point on is the farthest behind obviously and I'm hoping it doesn't stall out before fully colonizing.   The A+ are coming along slowly.   No signs of tam.   Next Sunday I'll know more at the 3 week point.   So far so good.  

Moonphase

These jars are weird.   3-4 of the Corumba should be ready for dunk and roll March 4.   Others may take two weeks longer..... IF they don't stall out.   Very weird growth.   No wonder they were free.   :fluffy:

Moonphase

3 week update.   4 out of the 8 Corumba jars are at 100% colonization.   The other 4 are lagging behind at various stages of growth.   1 of the 4 A+ jars is nearly 100% colonized.   The other 3 A+ are lagging behind also at various stages of growth.   Including 4 pics of the best and worst of both strains.   1st two pics are Corumba.  2nd two pics are A+.   Next Saturday I dunk and roll the 4 Corumba jars I marked today as 100% colonized.    B)  

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

• Like 1

Sonshyn

Makes me wonder if there is something in the second jar that myc doesn’t wanna touch ... 

Moonphase
5 hours ago, Sonshyn said:

Makes me wonder if there is something in the second jar that myc doesn’t wanna touch ... 

Air pockets.   I didn't tamp them down sufficiently enough when loading the jars.   That and the A+ are slow growers compared to the Corumba.   Also, the A+ may just not like BRF as a grow medium.   I've got 5cc's left of the A+ and will noc up some Rye grain in the next week or so to compare.   The Corumba on the other hand appear to be loving the BRF and really colonizing fast.    :headbang:

Sonshyn

That’s good, that myc from that jar is super white and doesn’t look Tammy at all 

• Thanks 1

Moonphase

Sneaked a peek this morning.   One of the A+ jars is now marked 100% colonized.   Craters and crevasses are filling in on the others slowly.   IC got down to 76F last night so that didn't help.   Seeing some myc piss tan coloring on some myc edges on some of the slow ones now.   Thought I saw a minor blue maybe green spot on one and hope it isn't going to tam on me.   Saturday I'll know.

Moonphase

Saturday, only 4 more days, and it'll be dunk and roll time on 4 of the Corumba jars.   Hope that coarse vermiculite comes in before then.   Got the peat moss.   Need more distilled water.   Time to read up on the rye teks!   B)   

Moonphase

Got the verm, totes, and a syringe in the mail today.   I can finish the SHIP's and press on.    Guess I'll have to do a full review of the teks ASAP.   I'll be using a tek by @Don_Shadow on one of the experiments.   Also marked another jar as 100% colonized today.   The one I missed the inoculation point on cleaved in half I noticed so I upended it to see if it'll go ahead and incorporate the other half and make a whole.   This will be interesting.  Motivation is building.   :clap:     Detail Note:   When tamping the BRF/Verm mix in a jar do so as you fill it so as to not create any voids and crevasses where a gap can become problematic.   The devil is in the details.   

Moonphase

22 qt. pressure cooker will be here Saturday.    Things are coming together.   Tomorrow is finish the lids day.    Then more tek reviews.   B)

• Like 1

Moonphase

Just read the 6 qt dub tub tek again.   It was updated since the last time.   Answered a few questions.   Wish I'd read it before asking questions it had answered.   :facepalm:  Oh well.   Timing is everything sometimes.   I'm going to need another tote and 2 more 6 qt tubs.   Damn.   You know what that means?   It means I have to go shopping again.    I hate shopping.   Damn.   :meditate:

Moonphase

4 week update.   4 of the Corumba cakes were at one week past 100% colonization so I put them in to soak for 24 hours.   Newbie mistake 1:   Polyfil used in the FAE hole is okay just so the BRF isn't loaded too high so that the mycelium can reach it.   If the mycelium reaches the poly fill when you pull the lid off the cake comes with it because the mycelium has attached to it.   Removing it from the cake was a hassle and caused some bruising and any of it left may or may not lend to future contamination.   Time will tell.   I also noticed some white fuzz and one pin starting.   This peeked my curiosity in thinking maybe waiting a full week after 100% colonization with the Corumba strain wasn't necessary since I saw some white fuzz on the one marked full colonization on 2-26 so I opened the jar that wasn't due until 3-6.   Newbie mistake 2:   Although the lid came off unaffected by any mycelium growth the BRF in the middle let me know it was not fully colonized yet.   Put the lid back on and hoping it doesn't tam out on me from exposure to the air.   Again, time will tell.   Already made 24 lids for my new project the same way but with a grain jar 2/3 full attachment to mycelium won't be an issue.   Tyvek may be the way to go after all.   Guess I could make a pillow with the polyfil I don't use?  It's been 4 weeks and 7 of the jars reached 100% colonization.   The other 5 jars (4 A+ and 1 Corumba) are kind of iffy at this point after 30 days.  They may or may not stall out.  The BRF is starting to shrink and there is a brownish and grayish discoloration and anything white doesn't feel right.   Noticed an iffy smell too from the FAE hole which although not unpleasant makes me wonder.   Newbie question:   Could the FAE hole be too big allowing too much FAE for a 1/2 pint jar?   I used a 3/8" hole punch smallest one I had.   Pics are 4 cakes of Carumba bathing and the iffy jars lagging behind that are not full colonized at 30 days and are not as white as I'd like to see.         

IMG_2752.jpeg

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2750.jpeg

IMG_2751.jpg

Moonphase

4 Corumba strain cakes have been rolled and put into a fruiting chamber.   I used the lid rings but not the lids.   I took heavy duty aluminum foil and wrapped the rings and poked 4 holes in the foil for drainage.   It was much easier and I didn't have to ruin any lids.   And I can reuse the SHIP lids for more jars if I want just use different rings.   The coarse #3 Verm I got wet and sprinkled some peat moss on it and tossed until the verm was lightly coated in peat.   I had read about peat covering/matting on the cake too much and figured I would just coat the wet verm to achieve some level of moisture retention aside from the #3 Verm itself.  It looked good, lots of peaks and valleys, so I think it'll be a good idea.   Time will tell.   I like the #3 grade Verm.   #4 seemed a bit much.   2 weeks and I should have shrooms.   :hippie: