• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Moonphase

Grow Log #2.

Moonphase

Birthed and put into a bath 1 Corumba and 1 A+ today. 1 more Corumba will be ready tomorrow.   Committed 1 Corumba to the trash that had stalled out and started forming cobweb.   The other 4 jars have probably stalled out on me too but I couldn't tell so I outlined the Myc on the glass with a marker.   If there is any growth past the outline I'll know it's still viable.   Looks like I will have only 7 of the 12 original jars make it this time 5 Corumba and 2 A+ with a 40% failure rate.   I'm pretty sure it was lack of proper sterilization.  Now that I have a PC that shouldn't happen anymore.   I have 3 other teks in the planning stage which may or may not succeed so to ensure I have some success I have ordered 3 syringes of a strain I have some experience with as a back up just in case everything new fails.   Could have gone better.        

• Like 1

Moonphase

Misted and fanned the 4 cakes, 3 Corumba 1 A+, in the FC before putting the 2 new ones in and thought that can't be a pin after only 4 days.  Then I birthed and put into bathe for 24 hours my last normally colonizing cake another Corumba (see pic).   The 4 that are left may or may not colonize any further and at 5 weeks and may have stalled out.   I'll know by the time my back up GT syringes get here.    The Corumba were fast colonizing in the jar at a week early I don't know why I'd expect them to not continue to be aggressive.   Time will tell.   Pic is this last Corumba at birth already with a pin at 35 days fresh out of IC.  

IMG_2757.jpg

• Like 1

Moonphase

7th cake out of the bath and into the FC.   Not expecting anything more out of the other 4 still in the IC.   I'll check on them on Monday.   If no growth I'll commit them to the tree in the backyard just to see what happens.    5 Corumba and 2 A+ in FC.   Not a total loss.  

IMG_2761.jpeg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

• Like 2

Moonphase

Stalled jars x 4.   On opening them they were dry but not tamed out.   3 of them had a long way to fully colonize.   Must have gotten too hot in the IC?   Too loose polyfil in the FAE hole allowing the cake to dry out?  Combination of both?  I opened the 3 and filled the jars with water and put them in the fridge.   We'll see if they can be rehydrated to a stage of viability.   I'll put them under the tree in the back yard tomorrow to see what happens.  The one 99% fully colonized I put in a 24 hour bath.   I'll isolate it and set up a single cake zombie tub or something to see if it'll snap out of it.   Ah... experimentation.   Lets do this and see what happens.   So end result.  7 viable cakes in FC.   1 possibly viable cake in to soak that is a BIG maybe.   1 cake dead and committed to the garbage.  3 cakes stalled and dried out in to soak in the fridge for 24 hours to be committed to the tree in the back yard.   PF tek may not be a total loss.   I'll know more this time next week.   Pic is the 1 cake that showed a little growth in the last 5 days I put in to soak.   You can see the uncolonized verm/brf.   

IMG_2773.jpg

Moonphase

Twisted off the first shroom day before yesterday it was short and fat and the veil had just broken.   It was an early bloomer that should have aborted probably.   I'm seeing knots and pins.  There will be a sunrise burial service for 3 cakes out by the tree in the back yard this morning.   Casual dress is recommended.   

• Like 1

k3llcor1
3 hours ago, Moonphase said:

There will be a sunrise burial service for 3 cakes out by the tree in the back yard this morning.   Casual dress is recommended.   

Thoughts and prayers. :D

• Haha 1

Moonphase
6 hours ago, k3llcor1 said:

Thoughts and prayers. :D

It was a wonderful service.   The sky was pink.  The birds were singing.  The flowers were pretty.   The myc didn't smell and was broken up, covered with pine needles, and committed to natures matrix.   Spring shrooms under the tree in the backyard?    Time will tell.   :D

I rolled the last Corumba cake in #3 grade coarse verm that had been wetted and coated with a little peat moss.   It was introduced to the other 7 cakes in the FC this morning shortly after the burial service.    8 out of 12 survived.   Safe to say the A+ don't like  BRF cakes.   Lost 4 out of the 5.  

Sonshyn

Let’s all pour of few spores out on the ground in memorial of all the cakes and tubs that didn’t make it 😞

• Haha 1

Moonphase
On 3/7/2019 at 9:48 AM, Moonphase said:

Misted and fanned the 4 cakes, 3 Corumba 1 A+, in the FC before putting the 2 new ones in and thought that can't be a pin after only 4 days.  Then I birthed and put into bathe for 24 hours my last normally colonizing cake another Corumba (see pic).   The 4 that are left may or may not colonize any further and at 5 weeks and may have stalled out.   I'll know by the time my back up GT syringes get here.    The Corumba were fast colonizing in the jar at a week early I don't know why I'd expect them to not continue to be aggressive.   Time will tell.   Pic is this last Corumba at birth already with a pin at 35 days fresh out of IC.  

IMG_2757.jpg

This little shroom that had sprouted while still in the jar was left on the cake for the 24 hour rehydration bath.   It has been growing slowly for the last 6 days.   This is what it looks like now.   From pictures of others it's a bit short so I turned the ceiling fan on in the room hoping to increase the general FAE.     

IMG_2775.jpg

• Like 1

Sonshyn

That’s a beefy guy right there 👏

• Thanks 1

Moonphase

This Carumba shroom opened up this morning so I picked it off the cake that had several small ones growing on it and put it back into the FC so they can mature and give others a chance to start.   It weighed out at 25 grams wet.  Dried it might be 2.5 grams.   

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2778.jpg

Moonphase

So far I've got 6 grams dried and it's just the beginning.  There is one cake that is standing out from the others.   Something is getting ready to happen.   Looking healthy.      

IMG_2782.jpg

• Like 1

Moonphase

Seeing a few pins.  Would love to fast forward to next weekend.   :hippie:

• Like 1

Moonphase

Looked at one of the small ones that had opened up and decided to pick it before it started making spores.   Looks like all of them are going to be little tiny things.   None of them look like they are going to be boomers like that one I got.   Sad.   Won't be enough on this first flush to do anything with.   Unbelievable.   Guess it's time to order a back up syringe of a known strain.   Puts me 6 weeks behind where I wanted to be.   Feeling disappointed.  

Moonphase

Since they are all opening up at about 1/2 inch high anyone have any suggestions on why they are not getting bigger and what to do about it?   I know smaller is a healthier higher quality shroom but dang they are opening up really small.   

Moonphase
On 3/12/2019 at 9:23 AM, Moonphase said:

Stalled jars x 4.   On opening them they were dry but not tamed out.   3 of them had a long way to fully colonize.   Must have gotten too hot in the IC?   Too loose polyfil in the FAE hole allowing the cake to dry out?  Combination of both?  I opened the 3 and filled the jars with water and put them in the fridge.   We'll see if they can be rehydrated to a stage of viability.   I'll put them under the tree in the back yard tomorrow to see what happens.  The one 99% fully colonized I put in a 24 hour bath.   I'll isolate it and set up a single cake zombie tub or something to see if it'll snap out of it.   Ah... experimentation.   Lets do this and see what happens.   So end result.  7 viable cakes in FC.   1 possibly viable cake in to soak that is a BIG maybe.   1 cake dead and committed to the garbage.  3 cakes stalled and dried out in to soak in the fridge for 24 hours to be committed to the tree in the back yard.   PF tek may not be a total loss.   I'll know more this time next week.   Pic is the 1 cake that showed a little growth in the last 5 days I put in to soak.   You can see the uncolonized verm/brf.   

IMG_2773.jpg

This cake showed evidence of cobweb mold this morning in the FC.   It was removed from the FC and committed to the cake burial ground under the tree in the back yard.   Hope I got it out early enough so the others will not be affected.   And then there were 7.  

• Like 1

Alias

Man Im glad I skipped cakes... Went straight to bulk from day one....   I would have to give it up if I had the amount of issues you're experiencing. 

• Haha 1

Moonphase

Pins pins everywhere.   Increased FAE.   Seems to have had a positive effect.   The lost cakes appear to have all been the A+.   I've got some grain noc'd up with some of the same syringe so we'll see if there is a positive change or not.   If you can't accept failure and learn from your mistakes this hobby is not for you.    

• Like 1

aqudoc
8 minutes ago, Moonphase said:

If you can't accept failure and learn from your mistakes this hobby is not for you.

Preach it bro :D

Nice Karumba BTW

• Thanks 1

Sonshyn
2 hours ago, Moonphase said:

Pins pins everywhere.   Increased FAE.   Seems to have had a positive effect.     

There you go! It’s like working on an engine figure out if it’s spark, fuel or air . 

Ours is air, temp, and humidity . 

Good goin :)

• Like 1

Moonphase

Fruited 1 cake this morning since even the littlest ones were starting to open.   It's in to soak for 24 hours.    Didn't produce much by volume.    Hoping the 2nd flush is better.   :unsure:        

Moonphase

Bathed cake was reintroduced to the FC this morning.   Dry weight so far 9-10 grams.    Corumba cakes are not producing like I had hoped.    2nd flush better be much better or it's going to be a boring April.  

Moonphase

Back up plan C is moving forward.   3 syringes coming to me of GT strain.   I grew that last spring on my first grow.  We'll see if I can improve on last years results.  

aqudoc
2 hours ago, Moonphase said:

improve on last years results.

What tek will you use this round?

Moonphase

Definitely 12 cakes but will also noc up some grain for 6 qt dub tub tek.