• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Omen

hi, is this mycelium of mould.

Question

Omen

Hi all I'm new to mycology, I found these pictures on the net and I'm wondering if it's mould or new mycelium growth. The pictures say that they were inoculated on the 27th of January and are sitting around 25 degrees Celcius.

Cheers Omes

IMG_20190206_001851.jpg

IMG_20190206_001918.jpg

IMG_20190206_001904.jpg

21 answers to this question

Mush Zombie

Wait longer. 

darkvoyager
2 hours ago, Mush Zombie said:

Wait longer. 

he found that picture on the internet lmao 

• Haha 1

Omen
34 minutes ago, darkvoyager said:

he found that picture on the internet lmao 

I Know! It's crazy what you find online 😂. Anyway waiting longer for what reason? Is it not distinguishable yet?

Cheers aye. Omen

• Haha 1

Omen

Thanks for the advice, these are actually preserving jars bought from a shop, they look like jam jars yes. 

So what's your opinion on the organism inside now? The little patch is at inoculation point and the other two are inbetween holes only one patch in each jar.

I don't have a pressure cooker so I boiled them for an hour.

Omen

I'll post some more up tonight. Not too much progress though since initial photos

I've heard if it's bad they engulf the cake pretty quick, please not that I think the spots are indeed vermiculite

Omen

2 days later.

IMG_20190208_000912.jpg

IMG_20190208_000922.jpg

IMG_20190208_000931.jpg

Omen

What strain is that mate?

21 hours ago, 6spore6 said:

Those noc points are close together because I'm terrible at gauging that while going around... They will just merge and share genetics...

Omen

Mine is golden teacher

Omen
4 hours ago, 6spore6 said:

Yours should be showing signs of something by now...

You should post an update pic...

When I get home I'll post some up

Omen

The first 3 are the regulars, the last two are new developments. Lemmy know what you think

6 hours ago, 6spore6 said:

Yours should be showing signs of something by now...

You should post an update pic...

IMG_20190209_181635.jpg

IMG_20190209_181617.jpg

IMG_20190209_181422.jpg

IMG_20190209_181555.jpg

IMG_20190209_181437.jpg

darkvoyager

id agree that mycelium OP got going one looks cottony. It doesn't look right. there should be progress in the update pics, they looks the same if not worse to be honest :(. once the mycelium is running you can visually see stretching and growth in the morning and at night everyday ime just a bit but enough that u can tell. 

Heres a couple of my jars for reference. 

84F68F82-CA94-4634-A4AC-C9336B7C912E.jpeg

71782E4E-21B1-452F-8BA4-D1ADD413DDEA.jpeg

• Like 1

Omen

At the end of the day, if it's stuffed that's ok I'll start again. I've bought a pressure cooker now so that will help. I've made a spore syringe and put it in the fridge to rehydrate them until I'm ready I didn't wipe the needle between jars either so all these things will help. I've got 12 jars and only 5 are showing signs of life so that'd 14 days on now. Maybe time to chuck some and restart?

darkvoyager
1 hour ago, Omen said:

At the end of the day, if it's stuffed that's ok I'll start again. I've bought a pressure cooker now so that will help. I've made a spore syringe and put it in the fridge to rehydrate them until I'm ready I didn't wipe the needle between jars either so all these things will help. I've got 12 jars and only 5 are showing signs of life so that'd 14 days on now. Maybe time to chuck some and restart?

Yeah this hobby is a learning curve like anything else in life. You will have contams along the way. 

Not wiping the needle between jars is bad sterile tek and cutting corners, I flame needle between each jar. Alcohol SANITIZES flame STERILIZES. I like to do everything carefully because nothing sucks more than wasted time and materials for cutting corners. My 2 ¢

Omen
21 minutes ago, 6spore6 said:

One more... Can I ask your methodology for making a syringe? That is quite a difficult thing to do if you are just beginning...

I'd hate for you to have a syringe full of contamination... That's a hard pill to swallow...

Ok, so basically followed the original PF Tek. Heat filtered water in the microwave for 10 minutes (boiling for 10) then suck and blow out the clean syringe and needle several times to sterilise them finally draw sterile water into the syringe and let it cool. Once cool add clean spores to a few drops of water in a sterile shot glass and flame sterilise then stir then inject sterile water into shot glass and flame sterilise needle and stir spores, draw and eject until spores are mixed and finally draw the mixed spores into the syringe cap the needle and refrigerate.

Omen
Just now, 6spore6 said:

By sterile water, do you mean the water that you microwaved? And was this tap water? I can't stress the importance of Distilled water for spores... There needs to be NOTHING in that water. including solid particulate.

Again, I'm new so no not distilled. However it is filtered through a 0.5 micron filter and then again through a heavy metals ceramic candle filter which removes fluorides and toxic chemicals. But not distilled.

Omen

That's  all I can do man, the original PF Tek guide is not this particular or I would have been you know what I mean hahaha. All good. Lucky I'm not banking on some healthy fruits anytime soon, I'm not giving up on the batch until I see definite signs of "tam"

Omen
2 minutes ago, 6spore6 said:

My guess is that it will start green in the center... a tiny speck... and then overnight... BAM! Green Meanie... But I'm really hoping not... I really hope it works for you.

Believe me, so do it 😂

So do I is what I meant! Lol

Omen

its a bugger aye lol

Twotails

YyYour missing a large thing here, you need to sterilize your substrate. You basically may have a Biohazard growing there

212F is not nearly hot enough to kill of microbe and bacterial hitchhikers, it is why we Pressure cook or Autoclave substrate, regardless 1h is not enough time to fully insure a safe environment at either temp. You and anyone else who rushes, or skips basic needs for this hobby are basically playing Mold/Biohazard Russian roulette

The reasoning is because when mold, bacteria, ect are exposed in a extreme enviroment, IE, Heat, moisture, they aren't killed, instead they revert to Cysts, or small "Seeds" of said contamination, once the temps stabilize, the bacterial cyst or mold spore spouts and competes with your introduced fungi spores and it's a race for time, who can colonize faster.

Save yourself the trouble of wasting time, money and material and save up at least for a PC that will get to 15psi, even a Walmart one, 30 to 60 bucks for the lower modles.

Do not rush this hobby, and until you get it under your wing do not deviate from directions in teks, unless you want your results to change. I'm sorif a Tek outlines  PRESSURE COOKER as a needed item and Directions outline you need to PC your material at 250f(15psi) for 90min (1.5 hours st 250F) 1h at 212F is not comparable.  I'm not saying there is no way to get around not having a PC, but they TAKE TIME. I remember once reading the process to be Heated at boiling/steaming temps to be a multi step process involving allowing the substrate to "cook" allowing it to incubate for X-hours, (to germinate spores of the contaminates) and Re-steam/boil twice more, before inoculation, This revolves around the thought as to germinate any spore in the nutrient rich substrate just enough to have it open it's hard protective "shell" or environmental protection, and then kill it just as it grows, before it multiplies or spoilates. I think that article is due credit to FMRC, IIRC.

Just try to not cut corners in this hobby, you may get sick.

Omen
3 hours ago, Twotails said:

YyYour missing a large thing here, you need to sterilize your substrate. You basically may have a Biohazard growing there

212F is not nearly hot enough to kill of microbe and bacterial hitchhikers, it is why we Pressure cook or Autoclave substrate, regardless 1h is not enough time to fully insure a safe environment at either temp. You and anyone else who rushes, or skips basic needs for this hobby are basically playing Mold/Biohazard Russian roulette

The reasoning is because when mold, bacteria, ect are exposed in a extreme enviroment, IE, Heat, moisture, they aren't killed, instead they revert to Cysts, or small "Seeds" of said contamination, once the temps stabilize, the bacterial cyst or mold spore spouts and competes with your introduced fungi spores and it's a race for time, who can colonize faster.

Save yourself the trouble of wasting time, money and material and save up at least for a PC that will get to 15psi, even a Walmart one, 30 to 60 bucks for the lower modles.

Do not rush this hobby, and until you get it under your wing do not deviate from directions in teks, unless you want your results to change. I'm sorif a Tek outlines  PRESSURE COOKER as a needed item and Directions outline you need to PC your material at 250f(15psi) for 90min (1.5 hours st 250F) 1h at 212F is not comparable.  I'm not saying there is no way to get around not having a PC, but they TAKE TIME. I remember once reading the process to be Heated at boiling/steaming temps to be a multi step process involving allowing the substrate to "cook" allowing it to incubate for X-hours, (to germinate spores of the contaminates) and Re-steam/boil twice more, before inoculation, This revolves around the thought as to germinate any spore in the nutrient rich substrate just enough to have it open it's hard protective "shell" or environmental protection, and then kill it just as it grows, before it multiplies or spoilates. I think that article is due credit to FMRC, IIRC.

Just try to not cut corners in this hobby, you may get sick.

Absolutely understand (now) mate. You see the original PF Tek document with all the amendments states that boiling for an hour would be sufficient it does say that pressure cooking is more effective but boiling is sufficient..however after reading another tech called "magic for the masses" I've since changed my stance on the whole PC front and yes I do have a pressure cooker now. As an update. I've dumped four jars and cleaned thoroughly with bleach. Wiped with alcohol between each step and now have pressure cooked them for an hour so, I'm at a point where I could inoculate again. But if you wanna quizz me some more I'm happy for that too. It's not really cutting corners of your map is different. Lucky I bought a new map.. cheers