• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Sonshyn

Popcorn too wet ?

Sonshyn

Nocd up all those popcorn jars with a grain to grain transfer of some Puerto Rican’s that colonized some WBS . This is after 24 hours . 

image.jpg

Sonshyn

I’d like to offer a few observances I’ve made in the last month/30# of popcorn . 

The large yellow popcorn is much more durable than the smaller white popcorn . 

With the yellow popcorn I’ve been more careful not to let it get above 15 psi when pcing for that first 30 minutes to get the moisture right. I’ll actually let it get to 15 and then back it off to 14 for the duration of the cook . You can even get away with turning your pc off at 25 minutes . This will results in Less cracked kernels and therefore less starch to work around . 

The white popcorn I initially liked bc it was smaller and thought I’d get more kernels per jar and more distribution . However it is much more delicate . The kernels split easier unfortunately. I will be playing around with it in the coming months and will be decreasing cook time to 25 minutes at the most . And probably not letting the pc get past 13. I will update this when I get more information . 

After I take it out of the pc i dump it in a few wire strainers and wash the starchy film off under lukewarm water . Then I set it out on a large flat surface on top of a beach towel and let it sit for a couple hours  .  I’ve let it sit out for 6 hours and it was just fine . 

You can load up your jars 2/3-3/4 full and pc at 15 for 90 . Let cool overnight and shake your jars to distribute the moisture around the next day . I’ll give them a shake and lay them on their side and give them a quarter turn every hour or so until the water that is in there is gone . 

Sonshyn

So some of my popcorn was burnt in the jar from my negligence . The bottoms of a few jars I was PCing got to a dark brown . I went ahead and nocd them. And they colonized just fine . 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Sonshyn

Another note for my popcorn thread . I put some popcorn on the other night and got a call to leave so I took it off just about as the pc reached 15. I took the corn out and rinsed it, Spread it out on towels. When I came back to check it the corn was halfway hard. I decided to experiment and put it back in the pc . Let it keep pc for ten minutes . Rinsed off the starches. Let dry overnight. Put it in jars and pc’d for 90@15 and that’s all been colonizing fine after a g2g. 

Sonshyn

I’ve had another problem and other observations I’d like to share . I had a few batches of popcorn that after I’d innoculated them via g2g transfer would colonize about 80 % and stop and the remaining would start to get mushy and wet . I think I might not have washed all the starch off of them well enough and that formed a barrier the myc couldn’t overtake . 

I also fell asleep for an hour or two after pulling some popcorn I was hydrating in the pc off the burner . 

It stayed in their simmering off the residual heat for at least an hour and all the kernels were split but I washed them off thoroughly and pcd them for the hell of it and those jars colonized fine to my surprise. 

El_Piraña

Looks like you’ve been trying to work with popcorn for quite a while now. I tried popcorn, probably a total of 1-2 dozen quart jars in all (hard to remember exactly). It wasn’t my grain of choice, got a lot of split kernels, I used them anyway.

I’m trying to remember my prep...I think I boiled for 25 or 30 minutes, then poured out onto a towel to dry. Can’t even remember if I rinsed. Damn I’m sure this isn’t very helpful lol.

• Like 1

Sonshyn

I’ve got it down until I don’t lol. I’ve been doing well with it for the most part . I think I was just trying to cram 10 pounds of shit in a 2 pound sack and didn’t rinse properly . 

I PC at 15 or just under for 30. Water needs to be 3-4 inches above the popcorn . When the pc cools down enough to remove the top I rinse it 3 times or until the kernels don’t feel sticky/starchy and the water is clear . Then I spread them out on a towel and usually turn a fan on in the room . When they’ve dried off after an hour or two I jar them up and pc them . Usually let them cool in there overnight . 

Shake the jars a few times a day to distribute moisture for a couple days . 

This thread has just been where I keep my notes 

• Like 2