• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Sonshyn

Sonshyn does a grow log

Sonshyn

@Alias I wrote casing when I meant SUB.

Those look great .

I don’t remember seeing perlite in a casing I’ll have to check that out as I have some laying around 

Alias

I don't follow any Tek at all.... Perlite is cheap and easy to get, so I use it. My theory is that mixed with vermiculite it creates a wonderful micro climate that's resistant to contamination because it has has no nutritional value. Only tub I've had contam so far was when I used a cactus soil casing Tek....never again. Just mix em up till you like the look of it... Add water and pasteurize. The casing never really gets colonized, it just keeps the sub happy. My best tubs have no signs of mycelium. Just tons of pins poking out, before taking off, then it'll start to whiten. I usually add extra casing over white spots before second flush.My abort rate also dropped tremendously after I started using the verm/perlite.

Sonshyn

@Alias very cool . I’ve got some subs to case later this week, might try a test casing on one 

Sonshyn

Best cluster I’ve had thus far. Been reading about cutting back on fanning and such during pinning . Dialing in fae as well . And now have better lighting too . 

Ive also got some white splotches on other tubs  . Think they might be blobs ? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

aqudoc
12 hours ago, Sonshyn said:

Think they might be blobs ?

I think sometimes that can be too much CO2 build up, so you might increase FAE.

• Like 1

Sonshyn

@aqudoc hmmm I will give it a shot . I held off on weatherstripping this batch of tubs so I thought I’d have good fae . HOWEVER my moisture in the top tubs is staying there quite well so maybe air isn’t as free as I’d thought these non weather stripped tubs should be . 

El_Piraña
On 3/17/2019 at 11:20 AM, Sonshyn said:

So I’m going to make a couple small mods on my next tubs . I’m going to line the tubs on the outside for one. 

Also someone had said on another of my posts to shred the peat ? Can anyone speak to this ?

I’m definitely going to mix up all the ingredients of the casing(before adding coarse verm) more throughly than I did before .

another note I’m going to source some milo or millet and soak it before adding to my popcorn spawn jars. My hope is that it will fill some cracks that the popcorn leaves open, there is a lot of empty space in my jar bw the kernels. 

Why do you want to put the liner on the outside of the tub? When the liner is on the inside of the tub, the liner sticks to the colonized sub as the sub shrinks and pulls away from the walls of the tub.

about shredding the peat, just break it apart with your hands if it’s compressed too much in the bag. 

• Like 1

Robotard

I did the whole tape on the outside...

Agreed. Line your tubs. Unless you want all the side pins and aborts

Looking good btw

• Like 1

Sonshyn

@Robotard Micropore tape?

@El_Piraña to spread it more evenly and level it out easier . Thanks for the peat tip I ended up using the jiffy casing mix this time . Had to adjust the ph of the jiffy too. 

Robotard

I think you are confusing something. I was speaking of using g dark tape on the outside of your tubs vs. using a liner inside the tub. Using it on the inside does as @El_Pirañasays and pretty much forms to your substrate, and clings to it as it shrinks. Prevents side pins and just a whole lot of messing around with your cake. 

Micropore tape wouldn't work because it would still allow light through the tub 

Sonshyn

@Robotard ah gotcha . I thought you might have been referring to the FAE part of my other post . 👌🏻

I only have 8 tubs that i didn’t line . Still have the garbage bag liners cut up so I can go ahead and go back to lining them now . Thanks for the input everyone 🙏🏻

Sonshyn

So I checked on some tubs that I mixed up and put in the incubator on 3/15. When I opened them the aluminum foil was eaten away and perforated . I had some other tubs still in the inc from 3-3 that are completely white and no aluminum foil eaten up. 

I had the foil touching the sub not on top of the tub . 

Did the myco-piss do that? Or ? Idk of the yellow spots were where the piss was collecting and that ate through it ? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Confused 1

Moonphase

Something basically dissolved your aluminum foil?   WTF?   :blink:

Sonshyn

I know Wtf !?!

MagicalCriminal
Posted (edited)

I'm sure the substrate is the same you used before but have you taken pH reading of it? And while you're at it go ahead and get a pH reading of the Myco piss. I'm sure that's information everybody could use.

Edited by MagicalCriminal
fixed it

Sonshyn

@MagicalCriminal maybe spellcheck got you but I think you mean ph instead of age ? I will go check the ph of the myco piss . Thanks MC

MagicalCriminal

@Sonshyn Oh my. Yes pH is what I intended to say. it wasn't spellcheck that got me. I was driving and using voice to text. I am sure that wont be the last time VTT gets me. I won't text and drive.

Next time you order pizzas, keep the little plastic tables they put in the center of the pie to keep the box from collapsing. Those would probably work good for keeping the foil off your sub.

Sonshyn

The ph of the piss was 6.9. Looks like my sub is about 6.7

Sonshyn

Also does this look alright ? 

image.jpg

Robotard

No

Sonshyn
45 minutes ago, Robotard said:

No

Damn 

Sonshyn

So I had some tubs incubating for like 3+weeks shit maybe 4+ life’s been a little chaotic . And some even fruited . Would you’d till case those ? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sonshyn

So the ones that pinned and sprung a few I’m going to leave uncased unless anyone says otherwise ...