• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

k3llcor1

Corys first grow log

k3llcor1

I'd like to use this space to document and reference my first steps as a newbie.

I dont have many pics to share at the moment because I've been trying to work really quickly, efficiently, and cleanly.

March 2-used purchased grain spawn bag (Cubensis Cubans) to perform g2g to 3 PC'd jars. 1 whole oats, 1 wbs, and 1 mix. Made minitub with grain and coir/verm/coffee. All items set in incubation chamber.

March 5-used purchased spore syringe (B+) to inoculate 2 pc'd popcorn jars with gypsum. Rinse with hot water till starch was out. Being as clean as possible, I used my glovebox to perform inoculation. Propane torch needle till glowing, wipe with 70% alcohol pad, then breed the wiped jars. Probably used WAY too much of the solution per jar. 10ml syringe has about 3 ml left. 

Will post pic of jars I g2g'd the other day. I took a peak last night and was giggling like a schoolgirl.

SyringeInnoculation.jpg

• Like 1

Evenevo

Keep it coming, C. We love photos.

3.5cc each is a bit much, you're correct. 1cc does the trick.

• Like 1

k3llcor1
1 hour ago, Evenevo said:

Keep it coming, C. We love photos.

3.5cc each is a bit much, you're correct. 1cc does the trick.

Thanks Evenvo, ask and ye shall recieve!. Here are my g2g attempts from Saturday, so this would be the start of day 4. I put about 10 spawned grains in each jar, shook them up, and now have them sitting quietly in a dark incubator.

My next pic, I'll put my macro lens on my gopro and try to get a detailed pic of the magic.

GOPR4749.JPG

• Like 1

k3llcor1

Still not great pics. Anybody else disappointed with their gopro's pic quality?!?

GOPR4752.JPG

GOPR4754.JPG

• Like 1

Evenevo

I know nothing of GoPros. 

I do know that after looking at colonized jars/sub as much as I do, the snow around here has begun looking like myc from afar. 

Yours is nice and dense, love it. What are your incubation temps?

k3llcor1
18 minutes ago, Evenevo said:

What are your incubation temps?

Your guess is as good as mine. What temperature is warm? I'm going to the pet store soon to try and find a little temperature gauge strip, like Robotard has. As you can see, I'm not quite setup entirely. I'm close, just piecing together the equip needed. A couple weeks ago I scored a used PC for free. That was a big win for me. I do have  food thermometer. Maybe I'll throw it in there to see if it registers. It's warmer than room temp. Thats about all I can tell you.

Evenevo

Warm is about 7 degrees above mild. I was curious because I'm thinking lower temps = denser myc but slower growth. I know that's how it works with the actual fruit, but want to see how it goes with myc that has just started it's new life. I need to get some 1/2 pints to experiment with. 

Anyway keep your log up to date, you'll have at least me following it. 👽

• Like 1

k3llcor1

I appreciate all the info I can get. I cant believe how much I've learned in the last month from reading articles and user experiences. G2G, Agar, PC'd, Noc'n, I almost understand it all!

mushmouth

Good enough for me to see those jars ARE BANGIN BRO!

Now put them away and don't look at them for 10 days or you'll be the one pulling heads off shrimp at the next annual ology fish fry.

• Like 1

k3llcor1
1 hour ago, mushmouth said:

Now put them away and don't look at them for 10 days

Thanks, Man. 10 frikin days?!? Sweet baby Jesus, I aint got patience for that! I can hear them calling my name right now to go check on them!

• Haha 1

mushmouth
17 minutes ago, k3llcor1 said:

Thanks, Man. 10 frikin days?!? Sweet baby Jesus, I aint got patience for that! I can hear them calling my name right now to go check on them!

Them shrimp heads are good n pokey.

• Haha 1

k3llcor1

I've decided I dont have enough going on with all the other jars and minitub, that I wanted to try my luck with a Cake. I followed the PF tek listed above under the Mushroom Cultivation tab. 

I need something to fruit soon. I have friends and family counting on me to figure out a decent harvest(s).

Evenevo

Yo, idk the laws where your at. And I don't want to know. But keep the people who know your hobby to a minimum. The best number is 1, you.

• Like 2

k3llcor1

I'm in Canada, as relaxed as some of our laws are, that's probably a good piece of advice. Not that I've been advertising.

k3llcor1

Ok, quick update. 

The 3 jars I g2g'd the other day were doing really well so I shook them up last night to spread the love around. 

I havent checked on my minitub. Trying to be patient and not disturb it. Going to keep it on schedule and peel the foil back Sunday night to look.

My 2 popcorn jars I inoculated with a B+ syringe dont show much of anything right now, but the jars still look healthy. No discoloration of any of the grains so I'll wait. After reading more about popcorn, I now know it's not common to 'noc it with a syringe. Live and learn.

And finally, I started a small experiment based on a few pics and "easy" tek I've seen of a mini-mini tub. Basically a bowl. I mixed grains and sub and put it directly into "growing conditions". Some small FAE holes with micropore. This tek I read makes it sound like all the detail and stress is a waste of time, just mix it, set it out and forget it. Seems too good to be true but I dont mind testing it out since I can spare a bit of the healthy grain I have left over from the bag I purchased.

Thats all for now. I'll post pics of the 3 jars once the myc takes hold after the shake.

k3llcor1

What a beautiful sight!! I couldnt wait till Sunday night to check my very first tub. The mycelium seems really, really happy. So much so that little fingers of it are reaching up. I noticed a couple small droplets of water building up so I'm going to let it evaporate off just a bit before wrapping it back up. Any input is appreciated.

received_2258465614426516.jpeg

received_365616174279693.jpeg

received_427518421328374.jpeg

• Like 1

mushmouth

How many days was that in the inc?

k3llcor1
2 minutes ago, mushmouth said:

How many days was that in the inc?

I put it in on the morning of March 2nd. So about 8 days. Going to wait a few more before trying to fruit it.

mushmouth
16 minutes ago, k3llcor1 said:

I put it in on the morning of March 2nd. So about 8 days. Going to wait a few more before trying to fruit it.

IMO that was too early to open and let sit out. But the myc looks great.

k3llcor1
6 minutes ago, mushmouth said:

IMO that was too early to open and let sit out. But the myc looks great.

I opened it just to have a look. Found some water pooling so i soaked it up with a paper towel but put it right back into the dark incubator.

• Like 1

k3llcor1

Not much to update on.

Last night i realized that i need way more grain spawn than i have. If my small experiments are succesful, I'll need at least 6 jars for a proper monotub. So i stsrted a presoak of 1 pot of rye berries and 1 pot of whole oats. Im out of jars though, so might do bags.

Tonight im supposed to put my foil tub into fruiting mode but i have to go out of town for 2days. Might just leave it alone till then and allow that myc to continue.

My jars had another shake last night but i have this bad feeling that they're not growing as fast as they were at the beggining.

Someone said if your not a patient person, maybe this hobby isnt for you. 

True. Its testing me, this hurry up and wait, but the end result will be worth it.

Finally, on March 5th, i inoculated 2 popcorn jars and 1 brf jar. I have yet to see any signs of life. I just saw another persons popcorn jar at 1 week and there were just a few white spots forming, so again, patience and time. Brf has nothing happening yet either. I should note that everything still looks healthy.

The spore syringe i used came from a place that i found out only after i had ordered that they have a less than glowing reputation. How will i know if i did something wrong or the syringe they sold me was bunk?

Tune in next week to find out!

k3llcor1

Mar 11. G2G 1 jar of whole oats, 1 jar of rye berries.

Inoculate 1 bag of rye with syringe 2. 

Beginning to feel like im using up my spawn source. If it all goes to shit, im back at square 1 with no spore, so spawn. 

My 3 jars that were doing really well are back in the incubator and im not even looking at them for 2 or 3 more days. Maybe taking them out to check on them so often was a mistake. Qq

k3llcor1

Good Morning, you myco maniacs. 

Guess what? We have pics today!

Ok,  Pic 1 was my very first minitub which I started on March 2nd and didnt even look at for about 8 days. It's only gotten stronger since then so I've moved it to Fruiting Conditions. I'm going to do a bunch more reading to make sure I''m on track. Love this tub like my own frikin child. I created life!
Ok, 2nd pic are the 3 jars I did a g2g transfer on March 2nd as well. Left to right is WBS, Whole Oats, and then a 50/50 miz of the two on the far right. I was so worried about 4 days ago that these had stalled after a shake but I left them be and look at that! No discoloration whatsoever. All the above was Golden Teacher.

3rd pic is the B+ syringe inoculation I attempted on March 6th. It's only been a week, but so far all I notice is a wet corn smell, no signs of life anywhere. VERY suspicious of the syringes I was sold. Will be making my own from now on, if and when I get a mature fruit.

4th pic is the BRF jar I attempted on March 5th with syringe 2 of the B+ strain. I see one tiny little dot of white which I'm keeping my eye on. Hopefully something comes from these syringes I ordered. I received 3 in total. I'll keep trying until they are gone. Chalk it up to learning, either way.

Final pic is more Golden Teacher g2g I did just on March 11. Left is Oats, right is rye. My goal of preserving and stretching my grain supply from the 1 bag I purchased seems to be going well. I just want to become self sufficient and not have to buy anything else, until I'm ready to start seeking out new varieties, but I have to learn these first. 

So as always, comments and constructive criticism are welcome. Thanks for stopping by! 

GOPR4781.JPG

GOPR4784.JPG

GOPR4783.JPG

GOPR4785.JPG

GOPR4782.JPG

k3llcor1
On 05/03/2019 at 12:09 PM, Evenevo said:

Warm is about 7 degrees above mild. I was curious because I'm thinking lower temps = denser myc but slower growth. I know that's how it works with the actual fruit, but want to see how it goes with myc that has just started it's new life. I need to get some 1/2 pints to experiment with. 

Anyway keep your log up to date, you'll have at least me following it. 👽

Picked up a digital thermometer. This morning my incubator read 79. I've moved my tub to fruiting in a cooler place but have some jars still spawning inside that incubator. See my last few posts if you missed it.

On 05/03/2019 at 4:55 PM, mushmouth said:

Good enough for me to see those jars ARE BANGIN BRO!

Now put them away and don't look at them for 10 days or you'll be the one pulling heads off shrimp at the next annual ology fish fry.

About a week ago i thought my jars had stalled so i put them back in the incubator and left them. See the pics, but they're almost 100% now!

Patience is key. Trying really hard to learn that.

Evenevo
9 hours ago, k3llcor1 said:

This morning my incubator read 79.

I'm sure you know, incubation temps should be ~86°f

• Butthurt 1