• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Moonphase

Day 1:   Made 24 Quart Jar SHIP lids.   

• Like 1

mushmouth

Bro. You know how much we like pics around here. Why are you holding out, bro???

Moonphase
12 hours ago, mushmouth said:

Bro. You know how much we like pics around here. Why are you holding out, bro???

I'll put polyfil in them today and put the grain in to soak.

IMG_2756.jpeg

• Like 1

Moonphase

Since this is my first grain tek and I don't know how much grain to use for a quart size jar I took 1/4 cup of grain, put it into a 1 cup measuring cup, and covered it with water for a 18-24 hour soak followed by a boil for 10 minutes or until a grain splits open.   Then I'll measure the volume difference and go from there.   Tek review tonight.... again.    Substrate and tek recommendations for the following strains appreciated:   Tampanesis.   A+.   Penis Envy.    Jalisco ( I'll try Don_Shadows tek ).    Thank you in advance for any advice or tek links.   :hippie:

Moonphase

New PC has been tested out, found to be functional, and rinsed out.  Damn things are intimidating aren't they.   Mine goes to 14 PCI according to the pressure gauge so I guess I'll have to increase my PC time from 90-100 minutes.   FAE filters finished on 12 of the 24 Qt. jars.   Rye berry volume increase test will be finished tonight.   Tomorrow I get started.   Guess I better finish ordering things I'll need.    

Moonphase

Rye berry test was a good idea I think.  It gave me a better idea of what I was supposed to be looking for.   The bite test was informative as well.   The test berries although well hydrated seemed a bit too soft so I will try and take them out earlier.   Maybe soak 18 hours and boil 3-5 minutes.   The idea is to hydrate but not get them too soft.   Rinsed clean and put to soak approximately 7 cups of rye grain with 1 Tbsp of Gypsum.    We'll see how the first batch of 7 jars goes before doing the others.  B)

Moonphase

Only got 6 jars the first round which are back in the PC since it ran out of water and required refilling.   I'll have to add more water next time.  Increased the PC time another 15 minutes due to the break.   Put some more rye on to soak but increased the amount by 2 cups to try and make up that extra jar.  I'd have increased it more but working with smaller batches is easier and I'm at the max for pot size.   Got the grain perfect I think by getting the water boiling first then adding the grain and turning off the heat.  This made it easier to see and gave me more control as did the post boil plunge.   Dry off was easy on large packing paper which also gave me more control and took less time to reach the toilet paper test stage.  I'll noc them up tomorrow after they've had a full 24 hour cool down while I am PC'ing the next round of jars.   Sending up smoke to the great spirit for good luck.   :bongload:  

Moonphase

Set to soak another 12 cups of rye for the third batch to finish out the 24 jars tomorrow evening.   Long day.   

Moonphase

Decided to stay awake and noc up those 6 jars with some Tampanesis.   1.5 cc's each approx.   Used the whole syringe.  Put them in a cardboard box and put the box in the incubation closet.   It stays around 77-80F in there.   Almost 1am.   My next batch of rye will be finished soaking in 4.5 hours.   Yawn.   :toke:  

Moonphase

Only got 5 jars this morning since I loaded them with more rye than the first 6.     I shorted the first 6 to ensure I had enough shake room.   Adjusted accordingly.  So, a slight change of plans.  I'll go ahead and use up the 5 cc's of A+ that I had left and I'll noc those up tonight.   The next batch soaking will be ready about 1:30.   I'll noc those up with Jalisco tomorrow.  I'm going to need to order more rye.   Damn   

Moonphase

Got 10 jars out of my last batch of rye.   Pretty much maxed out my batch capacity unless I buy another big pot.   That's 15 jars to noc up tonight and tomorrow.   21 out of that sack of rye.  4 hours of PC'ing ahead of me before bed.  Shopping again tomorrow.   Damn.  I hate shopping.   :fyou:

Moonphase

Noc'd up 15 jars today and put them in the IC at 78F.   3 A+, 6 Jalisco, and 6 penis envy.   Counting the 6 jars of Tampanesis I did 2 days ago that makes 21 jars total.   I'm going to need a lot of substrate if they don't tam out on me.   Time will tell.   :clap:

Moonphase

Part way through day 7 and I peeked at the 6 jars of Tampanesis.   No sign of growth.   Back into the warm closet for another week.   

Moonphase

I got word my plan C syringes of GT strain are on the way.   Good producer I have some experience with.   We'll see if I can do as well as last spring.   More shopping to do.   

Moonphase

Wanting to peek really bad.  Temp holding at 78F in the IC.   No smell is a good thing.   3 more days and it'll be 2 weeks since I noc'd up the tampanesis.   "It can take up to two weeks to see mycelium growth."    At least that's what I read.   

Moonphase

Looked at the 6 jars of rye grain I knocked up with tampanesis.   No growth at all.   Epic fail.   Grain was soft and not dried out.   Not sure what went wrong.   

Moonphase

Trashed the 6 jars.   

Decided to not wait the extra day and looked at the other 15 jars.  The 6 PE showed no signs of growth.   The 3 A+ showed some minor white but not enough to tell if it's mycelium starting or something else.   3 of the Jalisco appear to have the same signs of growth.   I marked the lids of those that showed growth and put them back into incubation.   At least maybe the rye wasn't treated with an anti-fungal?  Very slow growth at best compared to the myc in cakes at 14 days.  Maybe not enough surface moisture on the outside of the grain at the time of inoculation?  It's 79F in the closet but maybe not that warm in the box?   Inserted the digital thermometer probe into the box to see if there is any difference and put them back into the warm closet.   Now I'm thinking maybe the Tamp just didn't have enough time and I blew it by trashing them.  Glad I got back up plan C going starting tomorrow.   At least right now I have a positive sign of growth on 3 A+ and 3 Jalisco with hopes of the others showing something next week when I check again.   Increasing the closet temp to see if that helps.  

Gravity12

Damn it.  Been following the process.  Hope the next batch turns out for you.  I'm diving into old-school books on rye growth (or lack thereof).  Multiple possibilities on the slow/no growth.

My first grow will be with rye, so I'm biting my nails with you.  Thanks for the write up btw.

Whuuuuut

That happened to me and when I went back over procedure the 4 jars that didn’t grow or were too slow to make it were the 4 that I popped in PC, ran to the store during pc, took too long came back after a hour and the water at bottom of PC was dried up but if you say they looked wet maybe not field capacity? Haven’t gotten anything bad from my vendor as far as I can figure, but am interested in a simple way to test a syringe? Any good teks or successful experiments ??

• Butthurt 1

Moonphase

I'm guessing not enough hydration.   I have an approach in mind to find out.    Meanwhile back up plan C will be instituted Friday.  

4 hours ago, Whuuuuut said:

Haven’t gotten anything bad from my vendor as far as I can figure, but am interested in a simple way to test a syringe? Any good teks or successful experiments ??

Open a new topic and ask the question there please.  

Moonphase

So.   More grain arrives today.   This weekend I'll check the jars again and see if there is any sign of ongoing growth.   I expect I'll have to trash them all.   I was young and foolish and probably a tad overconfident after the success of my first grow.   What a waste.   Education can be expensive.   Damn

Moonphase

Jar check.   6 PE no growth whatsoever.   Trashed them.   Grain was soft but hardly any sign of moisture.  There are 3 A+ showing signs of myc growth but not much after 3 weeks.   There are 6 Jalisco showing some signs of growth but I can't tell if it's myc or cobweb.   Grain looks the same.   I expect next weekend I will either be able to shake them or trash them.   Appears I under hydrated the grain on this first run.   Disappointed in myself.   Although this thread isn't dead yet it very well may be by next weekend.   Depression sets in.   :facepalm: 

Moonphase

Jar check.  It's been 4 weeks.  Little growth.   It'd be another month to get to 20% so I shook the crap out of them.   Apparently stalled out due to lack of proper hydration.   If no apparent new growth by next weekend which is what I expect, I'll toss them and write the whole thing off as a total failure.   It already is as far as I am concerned.   Shouldn't take a month to reach 20% and these were at about 2%.   On the bright side I needed more RTV so I went to W.   The small one.   Nothing hanging on the racks?   But, I found one laying on a shelf where it shouldn't have been.   Thought I'd get more than one for a backup but the lady said they didn't stock them when I asked if they had more.   Didn't stock them?   Then where did the one I just find come from?   She had no answer.  They rang it up going out so it was in the system somewhere.   Very strange though.   My "schutz angel" watching over me I guess.   

Moonphase

Jar check.   Surprisingly the 3 A+ jars took off and are at about 90%.   I'm shocked.   The 6 Jalisco may be doing the same thing but it's hard to tell.   I guess I'll look again in 4-5 days to see if the A+ are at 100% or not and I might be able to tell then about the Jalisco.   Maybe I messed up tossing the other jars?   I had no idea it would take a month to show something/anything at all.  Figured it would show like the PF tek did in 6 days.   So possibly I tossed prematurely 6 jars of tampanesis and 6 jars of PE.  I'll never know now.   I'm both happy and sad.   

Moonphase

It's the Jalisco I am interested in.   The A+ I already had and the Tamp and PE were obtained before I knew much about cubes which I'm not really a fan of.    All is not lost.