• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Moonphase
16 minutes ago, Sonshyn said:

I don’t think so . There may be a reason they didn’t colonize . Maybe tams .

maybe shake them up again ? 

I shook up one.   Just to see if there was any difference.   Since the grain was a little too dry I didn't want to stall them all out.   Just sacrificed 1 to experiment if it does stall out.   From what EP says dumping uncolonized grain into your substrate is not that big of a deal.   So, if they stop colonizing I'll want to spawn them to sub before they start to tam.   I'll check them out again on Sunday but growth has been uber slow.   Didn't expect that.   

Sonshyn

Yeah it’s good to just start with one of whatever you’re doing .

dip your toe in

Moonphase

I do know that I'll have to wait longer than 10 days for the spawn run though.   My 1 of spawn was to 3 full jars of substrate and not 3 jars filled to the same level as the rye.   So... I my ratio is probably more like 1:3.5.   I may wait a full 14 days just to be sure I get full colonization before casing.   

Gemini42

On 4/30/2019 at 11:37 AM, Moonphase said:

Here is a question.  If the jars stop progressing and are not completely colonized do you not put the uncolonized grain into the substrate?    Using only the colonized clumps and multiple jars due to the lack of them being 100%?   

I would just use the clumps if you can access it. I have had some stall due to lack of ability to reach nutes because failed to shake and laxk of hydration. I ended up getting a decent flush. Sometimes they stall just because the conditions are not right to propagate. You could even grain to grain new hydrated grain to ensure you have harvest in summer

• Thanks 1

Moonphase

Some good ideas Gemini.   A grain to grain sounds like an excellent idea on the Jalisco when it's time.    :headbang:

Moonphase

I'll look again on May 7 and if I don't see any real change in growth I'm going to thaw out some of that substrate in the freezer and use what grain has colonized May 12th, the 60 day point and before the jars completely stall out and tam on me.   I may only get 4 tubs out of it instead of 6 but at least I'll have a chance at some Jalisco fruits and maybe some spore prints for some more tries with better hydrated grain.   

Moonphase

Guess I better find that recipe for casing.   I'll need to mix that up and pc it tonight.   I'll look at the A+ tubs tomorrow and see if they are ready to case.    I'm all excited again.   😎    

Moonphase

Looked at the Jalisco jars today and they are still trying to colonize.   The one jar I shook on 4-28 has spread mycelium to all grains but it's very light (not pictured).   The other jars are not wanting to colonize into the uncolonized grain very well but are so far past the 20% shaking point I'm going to leave them alone.   I'm thinking another two weeks to reach full 100% for what will colonize.   Looks like the one strain I was interested in the most is going to survive.   Considering myself lucky.  These have been moving so slow I moved them out of the box and onto a flat in a black trash bag so they would be exposed to the warm air without a box wall insulating them.   We'll see if colonization speeds up over the next week or two.   If so a change in the IC technique will be in order.  :clap:

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

Moonphase

PC is hissing away to sterilize 2 qts of casing.   Made casing of 1 qt peat moss, 1 qt. #3 coarse verm, 1 cup oyster shells, 4-5 Tsp hydrated lyme to 7.75 Ph, and 2 cups +/- H2O to field capacity.    I'll case the 3 tubs of A+ tomorrow if they are ready.   It'll be 12 days they should be ready.     Can't wait to see what they look like.   :thumbs_up:

Moonphase

8 days to colonize a 6 qt tub.   Might be better to wait 10 days.   I waited 12 days.   This is what I saw.   So.   I re-foiled the one I looked at and put them all back into the IC for another week I guess.  Or should I have gone ahead and cased them?   Would another week make any difference?   MZ?   Anyone?       

IMG_2847.jpeg

Moonphase

I'm starting to get a little edgy with the Jalisco jars.   I think I'll go ahead and mix them into a substrate shortly after May 12 the 60 day point.   Finished colonizing or not.  Opinions?   Guidance?  MZ?  Mush?  DonShadow?

Moonphase

Peeked at the Jalisco jars again and colonization is continuing.   Gave them just a little shake to help the myc spread into the upper grains more readily.   I'd say another 2 weeks minimum at this rate and maybe 3 before they are 100%.    Really slow growing.    Bugs me.    I'll check the A+ tubs Monday morning which will have given them 16 days for the spawn run.      

Moonphase

Well.   That didn't go as planned.   The first tub I took out back under the tree and broke it up then covered it with the rest of the casing. It appeared to be just coir and seeds with really no myc to speak of.    Nothing like a cake.   Is that normal?    Don't know what happened.   Fuck.  

IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2861.jpg

Moonphase

Unless I get something out of the Jalisco this tek was a total failure.   

MagicalCriminal

It's only a failure if you quit or didn't learn anything.

I am a bottle have full type of person...unless we are talking tequila.

• Haha 1

Moonphase

Well, I learned how to hydrate rye properly and watched mycelium grow on it.   I also learned how to Ph balance substrate.   I have no idea why the myc did not colonize the substrate and only seemed to grow on top.   I also don't know where the green came from since I used proper sterilization and SAB.   Since I don't know where I went wrong it'll be hard to correct whatever it was.   

Sonshyn

Did you open that cake up ?

Moonphase
22 minutes ago, Sonshyn said:

Did you open that cake up ?

The first tub I took out back under the tree and broke it up then covered it with the rest of the casing. It appeared to be just the brown coir and seeds with really no white myc to speak of.    It was nothing like a PF tek cake.  The only white was on top.   Is that normal?    Don't know what happened.   Fuck.   :FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU_o_1445

Sonshyn

All the ones thatve screwed up on me were white most of all of the way through

El_Piraña

Maybe the grain jars were already contaminated before spawning to bulk sub. That would explain why it wouldn’t grow through the sub. I guess this is just assuming nothing wrong with the substrate.  What sub were you using?

Moonphase

coir/coffee grounds balanced to 7.75 PC'd for 100 minutes.   For some reason the myc just didn't colonize the substrate.   Maybe sub was too dry.   I've got a hell of a grip.   Out of curiosity I retrieved the other two from the trash and broke them up also under the tree in the back yard.   Most of those two bricks had mostly colonized but did have some areas that had not.   It is a brick but not as densely myc'd as a PF cake.   I'm thinking a combination of things.   I had too much substrate to spawn in each tub, and the substrate was perhaps too thick, and too dry.   I noticed the edges were already pulling away from the liner as well which also was concerning.   I could see the shrinkage and the liner was not sticking.   I also notice the liner I used has little dimples in it and is not smooth.   I'll be looking for different trash bags as well.   Smooth ones.   I'll just experiment until I figure it out I guess.  I still have grain jars to experiment with over the next two and a half months.   :thinking:

Moonphase

Jalisco jars look to have stopped progressing for those grains that did show colonization.   May have to mix some of them to some substrate this weekend just to see what happens.   

Moonphase

Pulled a gallon bag of substrate out of the freezer.   I'm going to spawn some of the Jalisco jars this next week.   See what happens.    

MagicalCriminal

I have an idea but might be completely wrong. After reading up on Jalisco, "growing in the grass of cow/horse pastures but never directly on the dung..."  Did you use the right sub? I was getting the impression while reading that a rye grass seed sub is used for them. 

Moonphase

Got a bag of wheat bran today at the health food store.   Tomorrow morning I go shopping for suitable containers and smooth black trash bags.   Damn I hate shopping.