• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Moonphase

PC'd 3 full qts of substrate for the 6 qt jars of rye berry noc'd up with Jalisco, p. mexiana.   I'm going to mix a few of them up tomorrow if I can manage to get out of the house to buy some suitable containers and trash bags this afternoon or tonight.    

Moonphase

Bought different trash bags and 12 small containers today.   Couldn't find any that had flat bottoms.   They all seem to have that middle raised part to them.    Guess I'll sit down today and see if I can put some colonized grain spawn to substrate without any tams.    It's time to see if the Jalisco will do something.   Wish me luck.

• Thanks 1

Moonphase

Okay.   SAB has been wiped down and is evaporating for 20 minutes.   Going to mix 5 of the Jalisco grain jars with substrate today.   Hope they don't tam out like the last ones.   

Moonphase

Only mixed up 4 of the Jalisco rye jars with substrate before I ran out.   I got 8 small tubs mixed at a 1:1 ratio and in the IC for 10 days.   Took another bag of substrate out of the freezer and will mix the last two jars soon.   Update in 10 days.   Wish me luck.   It's my last chance for success with my first rye berry attempt.   The first 85% failed.    Let's hear it.   No green, no green, no green.        :pumpit:

Moonphase

Preparing substrate today for the other 2 Jalisco jars.    I'll get 4 more trays out of them for a total of 12.   

Moonphase

PC'ing is complete.   Tomorrow I'll mix up some more Jalisco.   I may also get some different black garbage bags as these 2mil thick ones are a little heavy to work with on small tubs although they will be good for those 60 qt teks if I ever figure this thing out.    

Moonphase

Mixed the last 2 Jalisco jars to substrate in 4 small tubs at a 1:1 ratio and put them in the IC.   I also salvaged a jar of uncolonized or minimally colonized grains in one of the jars to see if it will go ahead and finish over the next few weeks (nothing ventured nothing gained).   So, in one week it'll be 10 days on the first 8 tubs of Jalisco.   I guess next weekend will be casing preparation weekend.    

• Like 1

Moonphase

Jalisco on rye berries.   It smells kind of like.... watermelon.   

Moonphase

Must PC some casing today for the Jalisco.   They should be ready to case.    

Moonphase
8 hours ago, Moonphase said:

Must PC some casing today for the Jalisco.   They should be ready to case.    

PC is hissing away on two quarts of casing.   Should be plenty for 8-12 small tubs.  IF ANY OF THEM DIDN'T TAM OUT ON ME LIKE LAST TIME!   Today was day 8.   I'll know tomorrow.    Let's hear it.   No green.  No green.   No green.   :pumpit:

Moonphase

Yeah the Jalisco jars took a long time because of lack of proper hydration.   The first bulk tek I did was on some A+ and the 4 tubs all tamed out on me along the same edge.   It was my first and only experience with contamination.   Maybe I didn't get the foil good and tight along that edge when I put them back into the IC for the spawn run?   My other guess is I didn't trim the liner but folded it over on top instead.   Substrate preparation was coir, coffee grounds, Ph 7.75 and  PC'd at 14 PSI for 100 minutes.    I always use proper sterilization techniques.   Of course it could be the SAB I've been using too.   Might have to break down and build a laminar flow hood.  I'll just keep on trying and see what happens this year.   I'll know more tomorrow when I look at these 12 small tubs.   I hope.   

El_Piraña
20 minutes ago, Moonphase said:

Yeah the Jalisco jars took a long time because of lack of proper hydration.   The first bulk tek I did was on some A+ and the 4 tubs all tamed out on me along the same edge.   It was my first and only experience with contamination.   Maybe I didn't get the foil good and tight along that edge when I put them back into the IC for the spawn run?   My other guess is I didn't trim the liner but folded it over on top instead.   Substrate preparation was coir, coffee grounds, Ph 7.75 and  PC'd at 14 PSI for 100 minutes.    I always use proper sterilization techniques.   Of course it could be the SAB I've been using too.   Might have to break down and build a laminar flow hood.  I'll just keep on trying and see what happens this year.   I'll know more tomorrow when I look at these 12 small tubs.   I hope.   

Maybe try a couple tubs of coir w/out coffee.  Could try pasteurizing instead of sterilizing the sub. I know MZ haz some good points about sterilizing subs, but I’ve pasteurized almost all my subs and have had great results. 

To test the grain jars, take a colonized grain and drop it onto agar. You can see if it grows clean. You don’t have to waste the jar though, do it right before spawning to substrate. I don’t know how good a test this is, I mean I’ve done exactly this process but not for the purpose of looking for contamination. Maybe worth a try.

It would be useful to be able to narrow down where the contamination is originating so that you are able to focus on that part and make necessary changes.

do you have a picture of your SAB? How large (diameter) are the holes for your arms? 

Mush Zombie

Sab is self defeating. Don’t use those and expect great results.

Using slow colonizing grain spawn is troubling.

When are they contaminating? Before the first flush? During the first flush? After the first flush?

Im pretty sure this has nothing to do with sub prep unless it’s too wet at spawning. Pasteurizing does nothing extra for primary decomposers, and absolutely doesn’t make magical substrates that know what you want to grow and kills everything else for you. Correlation never equals causation. It would be easy to get a better sample and properly perform the grain spawn tek you used but pasteurize some substrate, have great results as a result of doing the grain spawn right, and say the sub prep must have been what the problem was.

As always do what works for you. If it works it works. I sterilize the shit out of everything because it’s easy and it always works for me :)

• Like 2

El_Piraña
1 hour ago, Mush Zombie said:

Sab is self defeating. Don’t use those and expect great results.

Using slow colonizing grain spawn is troubling.

When are they contaminating? Before the first flush? During the first flush? After the first flush?

Im pretty sure this has nothing to do with sub prep unless it’s too wet at spawning. Pasteurizing does nothing extra for primary decomposers, and absolutely doesn’t make magical substrates that know what you want to grow and kills everything else for you. Correlation never equals causation. It would be easy to get a better sample and properly perform the grain spawn tek you used but pasteurize some substrate, have great results as a result of doing the grain spawn right, and say the sub prep must have been what the problem was.

As always do what works for you. If it works it works. I sterilize the shit out of everything because it’s easy and it always works for me :)

Good point, I always pasteurized and it worked, but it’s true that correlation doesn’t equal causation.

• Like 1

Moonphase

Tubs are not ready on day 9?   I can see growth on the surface.   No smell.   Here is what I saw.   I'm assuming it's white underneath the blue lids.  The one showing the most growth and an average one are pictured.   Condensation droplets on the underside of the lid  may become an issue?   Plus, I only have 2 holes per lid and not 4 may be the slow down aspect?   I put them back into the incubation closet which is pretty steady at 79F.   Taking longer than expected.   As usual.   Of course I have no idea when to look next.   2 days?   4 days?   Another week?    Let me know what you think.   

IMG_2959.jpeg

Mush Zombie

If this is psilocybe Mexicana you need to crank the temp to about 85 

Moonphase
7 minutes ago, Mush Zombie said:

Damn, really?   That high for the spawn run?   I didn't see that anywhere in the tek I've been trying to follow which said:   " Full colonization usually takes 6-10 days at 77-80F. I have found that Mexicana prefers 78F.    This is from Don_Shadow.    If I maintain the current temp of 78-80 how much longer would you "guess" for the spawn run to be complete based on the above pic at 9 days?   

Mush Zombie

Yeah. If you keep one jar at whatever temp you’re doing now, and put one jar at 85 you’ll see a huge difference in growth rate, robustness, and they will be a brighter white. Trust me on this and just do it.

Moonphase
2 hours ago, Mush Zombie said:

Yeah. If you keep one jar at whatever temp you’re doing now, and put one jar at 85 you’ll see a huge difference in growth rate, robustness, and they will be a brighter white. Trust me on this and just do it.

No jars.   Jars have already been mixed to substrate.   Trays are 9 days into the spawn run.    Would your guidance change on the temp for mixed trays colonizing in coir/coffee/wheat bran substrate?    Don_Shadow guidance is this:   

Spawn run:

- Spawn your colonized grain to your shallow square tray and use a trashbag liner to ensure evaporation from the casing only. I mix my sub/grains in a glovebox to reduce the chance of contamination, but I have found that the Mexicana mycelium is very resilient to contamination if your grain spawn is clean and incubation temperatures are steady.

- Mexicanae species prefer shallow substrates, 1.5" is ideal.

- Full colonization usually takes 6-10 days at 77-80F. I have found that Mexicana prefers 78F.

- Case your colonized tray with sterilized 50/50+. Adding 1 TBSP of play sand per jar of casing has been shown to increase yields. You want the casing very light and fluffy, no deeper than 1/4". I let the casing fall off a fork and I do not put any pressure on it.

- For trays I like to use these shallow (2" deep) square plastic PP5 containers with four 1/4" holes drilled in lids and covered with micropore tape:   

Moonphase

Okay MZ.... taking a leap of faith here on your advice.  I rearranged the incubation closet.   6 of the colonizing tubs, 2 of which are pictured above in my earlier post this morning, were moved to the shelf directly over the heat source wrapped in a black plastic bag, (no cardboard box below them to keep them at the ambient temperature, i.e. no direct heat).  The air space between the direct heat source and the plastic bag is 84F and is constant.  The other 2 tubs I put on the second shelf with the 4 tubs that were mixed on Monday in an open top box covered with black plastic trash bag (ambient temperature of 77-80F).   This will show the difference in growth based on the different temperatures( 6 tubs vs 2) over the next 2-3 days.  I'll check them on Tuesday since the A/C guy is showing up and I have to move the 2 FC's I have set up already.   (fucking hassle)     

Mush Zombie

K. I’m saying that the incubation temp is not correct. Hence why you have been having issues with slow colonization and contamination. It’s 1+1= 2 here! Maybe there was something wrong with his equipment or maybe he was growing something other than what you are. Been doing this a long time. The temp I specified is what works BEST with psilocybe mexicana. 

Your tubs probably aren’t going to make it even if you increase temp now because they were not colonized fast enough due to low temps. Try anyway.

• Thanks 1

Moonphase
6 minutes ago, Mush Zombie said:

K. I’m saying that the incubation temp is not correct. Hence why you have been having issues with slow colonization and contamination. It’s 1+1= 2 here! Maybe there was something wrong with his equipment or maybe he was growing something other than what you are. Been doing this a long time. The temp I specified is what works BEST with psilocybe mexicana. 

Your tubs probably aren’t going to make it even if you increase temp now because they were not colonized fast enough due to low temps. Try anyway.

Okay.   One giant leap in faith MZ.   Something I have a hard time with.   All 12 tubs are now directly over the heat source separated only by the black trash bag.   Temp in the airspace below them is 84F and constant.   I'll make sure and check it several times daily.   I'll check the growth in 2-3 days.   If there is going to be any major change in colonization it'll show pretty quick I would think.    

6 hours ago, Mush Zombie said:

Temp has been cranked MZ.   Keeping my fingers crossed they all make it.   I'll know in 2-3 days.   Deep breath.  :facepalm:

Mush Zombie

You can also just wait until you have some sclerotia and transfer that sclerotia to grain spawn. You’ll need something better than an SAB for that. Just upgrade to a real glove box if you want to keep it cheap and easy, or use my shmuvbox tek

You need more spawn for sure if you want to grow this

Moonphase

Just saw your shmuvbox tek MZ.    Pretty cool.       

I gotta say I like the clear tub lid idea so you can see WTF is going on.   Now I'll be on the hunt for a higher quality plastic and a lid that seals well.   These were not what I wanted they are too brittle and crack easy.   But it's all I could find on the fly.