• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

njheaz

Microdosing

njheaz

Who here has any experience with microdosing? I recently harvested my first flush and got about 9 dry grams. Over the last couple weeks I have been consuming somewhere between 0.1-0.2 grams every 3 days. I don't have any reason to do it other than to put to the test the claims that it has the ability to increase focus and boost your creativity. So far, zero effects. 

Would be interested to hear your thoughts and experience. 

Rezz

Thats all pro-shaman pro-hippie poser bullshit in my opinion. Doing psychedelic drugs no matter what dosage doesn't turn or help turn people into better people.

Also doing psychedelics might turn you into a flat-earther who also takes reading horoscopes seriously. That I seen first hand accounts of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Robotard
6 hours ago, Rezz said:

Thats all pro-shaman pro-hippie poser bullshit in my opinion. Doing psychedelic drugs no matter what dosage doesn't turn or help turn people into better people.

Also doing psychedelics might turn you into a flat-earther who also takes reading horoscopes seriously. That I seen first hand accounts of that.

I agree whole 💓, but the days of psychedelics being primarily a recreational activity are over. Ppl are still going to, of course. But the recent push with substances like ketamine, mdma, etc., In conjunction with some type of therapeutic component. What I have read on microdosing leads me to believe that it could work for some. But again these ppl were also incorporating some kind of work on habit changes. The thought that just by popping miniscule amount of shrooms and you sit back and the world is better, is bullshit. That mentality, unfortunately, is par the pill-popping world we now live in.

I've tried microdosing before, taking .5g and the effects of the mushies are discernable. Not enough to trip, certainly, but vibrancy in the world. felt like it takes the edge off the day like puffing a fat Doobie, but it's not the same edge? IDK. How it felt to me.

I'd much rather eat a handful every few weeks and commune with the mother spirit. 

njheaz

On 3/10/2019 at 10:52 AM, Rezz said:

Through my very short few weeks of trying it, I would agree. I experienced none of the claims that microdosing can improve cognitive function, creativity, etc… I have been feeling happier but that may just be placebo. Who knows

I plan on continuing with the same regimen for another two weeks. If no changes then I'll call it quits 

Robotard

Don't misunderstand. I do think that in the future, with much more research, the substances once gifted by the "gods", banned by the govt, are full of potential. However, the evidence presented in the research that has been conducted in the past, unfortunately relies upon anecdotal accounts by the individuals participating.

njheaz
2 minutes ago, Robotard said:

Don't misunderstand. I do think that in the future, with much more research, the substances once gifted by the "gods", banned by the govt, are full of potential. However, the evidence presented in the research that has been conducted in the past, unfortunately relies upon anecdotal accounts by the individuals participating.

I hear you and agree that there is potential somewhere as a therapeutic medicine. What evidence are you talking about or what were the goals of those studies? Aren't many studies based on large scale anecdotal evidence? Studies on the effects of drugs on pain are all anecdotal because pain is such a subjective experience. 

It seems like what is happening with marijuana is happening with mushrooms… it's turning into a cure all for A-Z through anecdotal claims. Maybe that's because the experience is subjective and its use is essentially determined by the user. Either way I am curious. I was after the claims of cognitive enhancement but anecdotally have been feeling happier.  

I've never written anecdotal so many times haha

• Haha 1

Robotard

That's pretty much my point. You or I can go to any doctor and self-perscribe. How bad is the pain, in a scale of one to ten. It's all very subjective.

But "evidence" I was speaking of was just that, personal accounts, testimony, what have you. It's very hard to quantify the qualitative. That's why surveys were invented. In order to study a populations opinion on xyx, they have to be able to turn a feeling into a numerical value. Strongly agree, neutral, strongly disagree.

And I believe that without being able to statistically analyze concioussness,  the proof can only be in the pudding, the eye of the beholder.

njheaz

We're on the same page. This brings the next question… what happens when or if science could prove these claims on a quantitative scale? Do we then totally disregard the anecdotal? 

Rezz
4 hours ago, njheaz said:

Through my very short few weeks of trying it, I would agree. I experienced none of the claims that microdosing can improve cognitive function, creativity, etc… I have been feeling happier but that may just be placebo. Who knows

I plan on continuing with the same regimen for another two weeks. If no changes then I'll call it quits 

Excellent prognosis

• Like 1

Robotard

People die from aspirin every year.

People drown drinking water in contest.

I don't believe there's nothing to fear.

Just know what to die from less...

Ok. So if proven statistically that a plant, fungi, etc., holds some sort of medical value.(value being key word). Synthetic drugs emerge, supposedly with the full potential of the derivative source. But without fully understanding. All the chemicals involved, and their interaction with each other, a synchronicity not fully understood.....

There is science, and there is SCIENCE.

Here's some anecdotal testimony. I was a troubled child. Uncontrollable. Misunderstood. A doctor diagnosed me as bipolar. Defined by a chemical imbalance in the head. So I ask the whitecloak, exactly what chemical was out of balance, and he says, "Here. Take these. This will fix it!".

Only later to be black labeled because, oh yeah, if you take this chemical, you might end up self-terminating. And oh yeah.... Statistically speaking, percentages rise the younger you are. Wasn't a pleasant time in my life.

I hate to say it, cuz 👁️‍🗨️💓🍄, just as you. I don't ever want to see the point where the magic is corrupted for gain.

njheaz

Doubled my dose to .2 grams this morning on an empty stomach. Felt "weed stoned" an hour after after eating which lasted for 2 hours or so… kind of interesting that such a small dose did that.

Robotard

How often are you spacing your dosing? And not to be intrusive, but is there a particular reason microdosing appeals to you?

njheaz

Taking the dose every 3rd day. It appeals to me because of the claims made by the very successful tech industry in Silicon Valley. They claim that it can increase your in ability to focus, boosts creativity, increases problem solving ability… overall increases in cognitive ability. Then there are the other claims of reducing stress/anxiety and boosting your mood. Who does this not appeal to?

gunny
On 3/10/2019 at 8:52 AM, Rezz said:

What about micro-dosing on essential oils :D:D

Blackstar

I wish there was more research on microdosing. I will respectfully disagree with Rez's statement that "Doing psychedelic drugs no matter what dosage doesn't turn or help turn people into better people." There is some very promising research on what amounts to guided full-blown trips, with follow-up therapy, that is fueling a resurgence in interest in psychedelics in psychology (summarized in Michael Pollan's recent book "How to Change Your Mind").

My anecdotal experience: I have tried the 'Stacking' regimen that Paul Stamets has proposed, combining a microdose of psilocybin with Lion's Mane and Niacin (4 days on, 3 days off). My wife and I have done this together, and I would caution that our experiences are somewhat different, which if you have experience with psychedelics is to be expected -- people seem to react differently, and to different doses. I am not medicated in any other way; my wife takes non-SSRI medication for anxiety, depression, OCD. She finds the stack (minus the Niacin, which she can't tolerate) very helpful for anxiety, to the point where she has asked her doctor to lower her pharma medication dose. She hopes to work toward being completely un-medicated, using microdosing and a serious meditation regimen to get there (and eventually stopping the microdosing).

I have my own depression/anxiety issues that manifest differently from those of my wife. Anecdotally I would cautiously say that the stack (I take it with Niacin) has helped reduce my depression, along with a meditation regime (BTW there is good research on the mental benefits of meditation). Can I say definitively that microdosing is actually helping either of us? No. There are way too many other factors, and this is a small sample size LOL. I would say it has promise, though, and I would fully support clinical research. And I will note that adding Lions Mane to the equation is a whole other topic -- the sum of the two together is more than the sum of the parts IME.

Anyone looking for a magic 'pill' to make them smarter or feel better or whatever will be disappointed. You simply have to do the hard work to make those changes or improvements you seek. However, I think it is possible that microdosing, combined with other lifestyle changes/efforts that support your desired outcome, could give you the space or the wherewithal to effect those changes. They say the same thing about SSRI medications, they won't 'fix' you, but they can provide the space or the opportunity for you to work yourself out of the ruts of thought that your mind has been entrenched in. The problems with the SSRIs, though, are many -- weight gain, sexual dysfunction, suicidal thoughts, and a lack of motivation, just to name a few. Psilocybin, on the other hand, seems more benign (more research on it please!).

BTW, I started mycology a few months ago with this in mind -- I have a child who is now a young adult and seems to have inherited the right combination of crazy genes from my wife and me (our other child is more 'normal'). He has been in therapy, medicated up and down by a psychologist with myriad big pharma drugs, pretty much everything we could afford to do for him short of institutional commitment. After guinea-pigging on myself and my wife for a couple months, and having a full-disclosure conversation with him, he is just starting microdosing. It is our last-ditch effort before we consider an institution. We are out of options, and we don't want to lose our child. Depression and anxiety are very real and are predicted to grow -- a lot (current news articles cite studies that depression/anxiety in youth has more than doubled over the last decade, and we lose more military personnel to suicide than to combat) -- while our mental health research and services are sorely lacking. The health care system alone causes me anxiety and depression.

I would say if you are considering microdosing, treat psilocybin with great respect, and combine it with other concrete efforts to achieve your goal. Call me a hippie shaman poser, but meditation seems to combine very well, and there is some research that indicates similar states in the brain.

Robotard

@Blackstar I feel for you, bro. Mental health is a serious issue, not to be taken lightly, and not to be fed a bunch of shit concocted by big pharma! Best of luck to your family

• Like 1

Robotard
2 hours ago, Robotard said:

@Blackstar I feel for you, bro. Mental health is a serious issue, not to be taken lightly, and not to be fed a bunch of shit concocted by big pharma! Best of luck to your family

Mush love.

• Like 1