• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Baphomet

Ok one of my all in one bags got a little contaminated... so I have a small spot of the grain that is mushy on the bottom corner of the bag but the rest of the bag is well colonized including the soil part! So my question is can I save this? And if so what’s the best way? Should I open the bag and move to an FC but remove the contam part or should I keep the bag closed and mix it without mixing the part that’s contaminated on the bottom?

help! I don’t want to lose the whole bag!

Evenevo

Whether or not you can save it is up in the air. Ime, mushy grain is probably bacterial, it's probably already throughout the grain. If you mix the tam will win the battle cause you'll temporarily weaken you myc. If I were in that situation and wanted to attempt to save it, I'd separate the good from bad, with about 2 inches buffer, and try to fruit from that. IDK what bag tek you're using, so the mentioning of soil confuses me. Is it grain under sub, colonize grain then mix the bag up? If so it'll be tricky, but if your sub is colonizing as well i, on your situation, would still try what I said before. Regardless of how, if I were you and attempted to move forward with that bag and was able to stop signs of Tam, I'd be cautious, and probably toss it if the Tam shows any sign of returning.

Just what I'd do, most say if it tams just start over, not worth the effort or the risk of injesting some nastiness.

Baphomet

Ok so it’s an all in one bag... so it has grain on the bottom and poop on top of the grain and yes it’s supposed to get mixed after the colonization...

so here are some pics... as you can see the mycelium is doing really great except that one little spot and with all that good mycelium I don’t wanna just chuck it out!! I mean you can see how well it’s doing!! So now that you can see it maybe that’ll help... but I’m looking at it and thinking about just mixing the poop up and leaving the grain alone? I dunno but would appreciate any help I can get... who knows maybe this will be helpful in the future for other mushroom 🍄 lovers...

image.jpg

5A5FA402-99C5-4929-9489-8427FF9AD2B1.jpeg

C100F594-BD7B-46F5-AFF9-EEBC7ED1F7E0.jpeg

BEBB7A0A-AD8A-4D46-B986-E172EBE6FA8B.jpeg

F78021C7-F70B-4832-B4A5-52FA3C0A5B40.jpeg

C1E099CC-B86B-4DAF-8B90-6F8E514FCD6B.jpeg

Evenevo

Looks to be basically the bottom few inches of all the grain. Could cut the whole bag, in half an inch above that, then attach a new plastic bottom with gorilla tape, then put a few slits with like 4+ layers of a dense micropore tape to try to create a new filter patch, cause it looks like the current one would be lost.

I'm no expert, though. Always keep that in mind. I'm liable to be totally wrong. Haven't done bags yet either, so to me that looks too wet, and dark mushy grain is bad. But what do I know, might get away with just leaving it alone. 

Let a pro, or at least someone with bag experience, speak up before you act on my words alone.

Baphomet
19 minutes ago, Evenevo said:

Looks to be basically the bottom few inches of all the grain. Could cut the whole bag, in half an inch above that, then attach a new plastic bottom with gorilla tape, then put a few slits with like 4+ layers of a dense micropore tape to try to create a new filter patch, cause it looks like the current one would be lost.

I'm no expert, though. Always keep that in mind. I'm liable to be totally wrong. Haven't done bags yet either, so to me that looks too wet, and dark mushy grain is bad. But what do I know, might get away with just leaving it alone. 

Let a pro, or at least someone with bag experience, speak up before you act on my words alone.

No it’s not the whole bottom, just that part on the bottom in front... and it’s only maybe an inch and a half by like 6 inches across the front...

And the micro filter patch is on top... what you see on the side was the self healing injection port

But you’re not far off what’s im thinking of doing

Evenevo

Ahh, I see it better now. Tired eyes failed me pretty hard this time huh, lol. Keep us updated as always, I enjoy reading about how unorthodox things turn out.

• Like 1

Baphomet

Yeah I’m holding off hoping to get more tips... but I’m guessing I’ll have to try and remove that bad part... but like I said there’s such awesome mycelium growth I don’t wanna waste a month and a half of time and money

Baphomet

Bump.... anyone else?

Baphomet

No one else?

I think I’m gonna let the mycelium finish colonizing the soil and then break up the soil and let it recolonize and not touch the grain... I think that might be the best way to save all that mycelium 

• Like 1

Baphomet

Well seeing as no one else offered any help, the bag chose for me!!! Mushrooms started growing even though I hadn’t introduced it to fruiting conditions... so now I know that some contamination can be worked around...

F5FE9D83-1DF1-4C81-839C-8B460F7356D3.jpeg

Baphomet

Well today I cut the bottom off that bag and emptied all the bad grain... it seems the grain fermented... so I moved the cake into a tub and as soon as the veils tear I’ll pick these monsters!!! Huge mushies!!! Small first flush but the mushrooms are massively huge so that makes it bigger... So glad I didn’t throw it out!! So now I know if I get mushy grain I can possibly work around it!!

A5DB9B3A-D0A4-47BB-8CA7-8A5D5ADA7DEF.jpeg

This one exploded cuz it was growing down into the bag and ran outta room to grow!!

36E44867-F40C-4F7E-B658-D4A1CD669167.jpeg

• Like 1

Snippy

Wow dude....Nobody said anything and no help....amazing and disappointing. Or maybe we are the

Grow Bag Guinea Pigs of oblivion.....ha....So detail me...what did you do and how much contamination did you get at the end there ....Man, that looks bad on the bottom...and you pulled it out...wow

• Like 1

Baphomet

Yeah it was prettty nasty... the bottom was all fermented and mushy... but I cut the bottom of the bag off and scraped off all the nasty grain and now I’m getting plenty of fruit! So depending on the contam there are possibilities of saving some of it...

but yes most people here are experienced in their bulk grow tek and really have it down to a science so those doing grow bags are not only noobs but new school growers too... so yes those of us using grow bags and such should stick together and try and help each other out until we develop our own grow teks... so yeah just keep on... I’m about to try my first bulk grow and I’m still gonna do it with bags though... I’m gonna get pre-made grain bags to colonize my mycelium then break it up in big tubs for bulk growth and then have all the shrooms I can eat for the year and then some!!

But yes... I have definitely discovered that mycelium in a grow bag can possibly be salvaged as long as it’s not some nasty green stuff... however it is risky but as I was able to successfully remove the contam I’d say it can be done... it might even have been a good idea to maybe mist the bottom where it was infected with peroxide to prevent anything else...

But there was only about a cup full of grain that was bad, maybe two...

• Like 1

Snippy

Thats what im doing...i got the pre made steralized grain bags and one of my 2lbrs is kicking ass colonizing, the other started getting moisture in the bag at a high rate while my good one didnt so i shook it again twice top to bottom one day then the next i set it on the side and spread it out in the bag, then hours later i set it upright again and now im hoping to save it...It looks darker and more saturated cuz my good one is the 5 ml of clear cambodian cuz i forgot to shake the spike and my saturated bag was me shaking the spike and my 2nd bag getting loaded with mega spores...its loaded, bubba, so if it starts to contaminate...im mixing it with organic cow manure in a 6 inch trench layered with a light casing of the same and a touch of lime outside in a sweet spot and by research i know ill get flushes every time it rains all summer long..YaY

We might be noobs for all the cakes and teks and pressure cookers, but my x GF is a tyrant and she aint having me here with jars and vermiculite and pressure cooking...F^ck that....Check it out...we're making it simple, and i tell you what...once i get liquid culture down it will be tit work...im going to research that soon. Right now i have to get the exact measurements on  holes in my storage bin so if im gone for a few days without misting it will be ok. Some of us need the easier teks for different reasons

• Like 1

Snippy

How many ML did you shoot into that 5 lb bag ?

I mean your bag looks like Salems Lot compared to my bad one, but i dont have any contamination yet...do your bags sweat alot on the inside when its colonizing ?

Snippy

Im also noticing that on some of these mycology sites theres lots of old posts and hardly any new people. Theres a few of us but not what i thought. Ill probably order some spores from here after a bit, they have the kinds i want, but i still have 4..texas, 2 fiji and a P something. I just ordered H manure based substrate ready to use so all i have to do is put it in my bin and then cut my colonized bag and break it up all through the substrate and mix it all up to a fluffed even FC....So for us pre steralized grain bag junkies all you need to order are...

1. Spores

2. Pre steralized grain bag

3. Ready to go substrate and casing mix

4. Storage bins

5. Organic cow manure for outside tek and emergency contamination transfer with a splash of  hydrated garden lime

6. Research

• Like 1

Snippy

1024px-Psilocybe_cyanofriscosa_62599.0.j

• Like 1

Baphomet
4 hours ago, Snippy said:

How many ML did you shoot into that 5 lb bag ?

I mean your bag looks like Salems Lot compared to my bad one, but i dont have any contamination yet...do your bags sweat alot on the inside when its colonizing ?

I used 3ml per 5lb bag, i used 5 on one bag and it was really no different so I kept with 3... and yes my bags sweat plenty while colonizing so I wouldn’t sweat it too...

But yeah it’s ok to be a new skool grow bag mycologist! I do it to cut corners too and make things easier on me and require less sterilization then guess what? I’m doing the easy too!! I do need to start doing my own spore prints and LCs and stuff like that but even though I have a pressure cooker I still don’t want to spend a day sterilizing grain then sterilizing 💩... nah, I’m the same as you, skip a little cuz it’s not that expensive and it saves so much time and my time is worth more than that...so here’s to us grow bag monkeys!!! 🍻 

• Like 1

Snippy
57 minutes ago, Baphomet said:

I used 3ml per 5lb bag, i used 5 on one bag and it was really no different so I kept with 3... and yes my bags sweat plenty while colonizing so I wouldn’t sweat it too...

But yeah it’s ok to be a new skool grow bag mycologist! I do it to cut corners too and make things easier on me and require less sterilization then guess what? I’m doing the easy too!! I do need to start doing my own spore prints and LCs and stuff like that but even though I have a pressure cooker I still don’t want to spend a day sterilizing grain then sterilizing 💩... nah, I’m the same as you, skip a little cuz it’s not that expensive and it saves so much time and my time is worth more than that...so here’s to us grow bag monkeys!!! 🍻 

Wow...i used 5ml per 2lb bag, i shouldnt have used that much but i thought theyre using 2ml per jar and i have 2lb bags so i thought...wtf ill do 5 and i  have plan B outside, not even sweating it but my one bag is looking sweet and the other i shook again 2 days ago.....man....i think your bag just has too much shit in it and it got too wet on the bottom and you never shook it back and forth top to bottom cuz you cant so you were supposed to have broken it up gently but its too much weight on the  bottom seems like...Did you use a casing in the tub ? Then i look at those pics...wow it almost looks like soup in there...I say Bubba, you pulled out lucky your ass.....Damn...youre a dawg...

• Like 1

Snippy
5 hours ago, Snippy said:

Im also noticing that on some of these mycology sites theres lots of old posts and hardly any new people. Theres a few of us but not what i thought. Ill probably order some spores from here after a bit, they have the kinds i want, but i still have 4..1texas, 2 fiji and a PF classic. I just ordered H manure based substrate ready to use so all i have to do is put it in my bin and then cut my colonized bag and break it up all through the substrate and mix it all up to a fluffed even FC....So for us pre steralized grain bag junkies all you need to order are...

1. Spores

2. Pre steralized grain bag

3. Ready to go substrate and casing mix(optional)

4. Storage bins

5. Organic cow manure for outside tek and emergency contamination transfer with a splash of  hydrated garden lime

6. Research

Baphomet

50% luck and 50% skillz!

but seriously the bag just had some contam... I don’t know if I wasn’t sterile or if the bag wasn’t... I have done several and only the one got infected so I think it was less than sterile when I inoculated it... hard to say really but the people I get my bags from will replace them as I had 2 other bags not grow and they replaced them with new bags so that makes it a little better as that’s the fear of many a mushroom farmer is buying something someone else supposedly sterilized and not knowing if it was done properly... but the way I see it is they’ll replace the bags so it might cost me an extra spore syringe... but I’m gonna make my own sporeprints next so that won’t matter either...

Snippy
11 hours ago, Baphomet said:

50% luck and 50% skillz!

but seriously the bag just had some contam... I don’t know if I wasn’t sterile or if the bag wasn’t... I have done several and only the one got infected so I think it was less than sterile when I inoculated it... hard to say really but the people I get my bags from will replace them as I had 2 other bags not grow and they replaced them with new bags so that makes it a little better as that’s the fear of many a mushroom farmer is buying something someone else supposedly sterilized and not knowing if it was done properly... but the way I see it is they’ll replace the bags so it might cost me an extra spore syringe... but I’m gonna make my own sporeprints next so that won’t matter either...

Yeah...i can only do so much where i am....I think your bag was too moist on bottom and you wouldnt have known until it was too late but you pulled thru....Yeah as soon as i saw it i would have cut it off and mixed my good stuff into ready made substrate and buried that splotch outside in cow manure

Im the  Spawn Bag Bandit

Have you seen my spore ?

• Like 1

Baphomet

Dunno... show it off

Snippy
On 4/6/2019 at 2:58 PM, Baphomet said:

Dunno... show it off

I got one bag colonizing nicely...my other i shook again right when other started colonizing....nothing yet but it was loaded....I figure if nothing happens ill punch another 2ml of Fiji in there and mix with organic cow manure outside, fukk it

Have you seen Camerons tek on youtube ? 

Did you use your hands washed in the bin when you transferred ? Or gloves ?

Ill use gloves...i just dont see boomers so fragile that theyll get contaminated so easily. Yours was just a little puddle of moisture on the bottom....i know it was thats why they say squueze substrate till only a few drops but you had 5lbs crunching it.