• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

MagicalCriminal

Grow log 1 AKA Trials and Tribulations

MagicalCriminal

3-14

I used Strobe's no fail WBS Tek but subbed oats. Made 9 bags because I wasn't sure if the PC could hold more. It can. Next time the goal is 14 bags. I have to make a larger pillowcase because  all are too small for the PC.

When they came out, they all appeared too dry. Being new, and having read "just follow the Tek" so many times I did just that and nocced 4 bags 24 house after coming out of PC. No grain sticking or shiny grains.  Placed those 4 in closet to incubate at 75*. My incubation heater wasn't finished yet and I was prepared to wait on slow growth.

5 bags sat for 2 more days while I searched the site for info about adding water and re sterilizing. No luck. Seems no one has used this Tek with oats.

Making a command descion to add water, gave instructions to SWMO since I was out of town. 1/2 qt added to 2 bags, 1 qt added to 3 bags. The measure was meant to be a cup but someone wasn't paying attention. Grr She was estatic after removing the bags from the PC because it was her first time so I didn't have the heart to spank her for messing up the measure of water. 2 days of massaging the bags soaked up all the water. I felt the 3 with an extra quart we're slightly too wet but the other 2 looked great. Plan was to noc on third day out of PC but woke up to the room smelling like piss and one bag swole up like a new pillow. That was yesterday. That bag was tossed and noccing was put back till tomorrow to make sure the remaining 4 bags aren't tammed before noccing.

The above info is scattered through a few previous threads along with some pics. Future posts to this thread will contain pics and one pic will likely be posted to the NSFW forum. Just check back occasionally.👺

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

3-23

The 2 remaining bags that had an extra quart of water puffed and tammed. This raises the question why? 

While the 2 bags with 1/2 qt extra we're PCed with the other 3, they are fine at this point. I don't understand why. I would understand if the 3 we're soup(oversaturated) but having all 3 tam when they were PCed with the other 2 that are fine makes no sense. Something to mull over. Next set of bags will be done with MZ's soak and simmer method on Tuesday. At that time I will also take a peek at the first 4 bags that we're nocced 2 weeks ago with GT and LM. Yes I am aware that those species(?) use different grow teks. The LM I am just spawning for G2G to build up until I have enough for a decent crop once transferred to straw based sub.

MagicalCriminal

3-26

Took a peek at the first 4 bags nocced. 2 GT had about 15% coverage with some ropey rhizomorphic growth. Shook them up and put them away for the next week. Sorry got excited and went to work before I got the pics of the growth but it was a thing of beauty.  The LM in both bags showed a light wispy growth in a spray pattern. It doesnt seem white enough, but I have read LM growth looks a little different at first. Looking forward to what they look like in a week. Placed it back as it was.

Nocced the 2 bags with 1.5Qt water(test) with 1.5cc GT spore syringe each. Placed in incubator with others till next week.

Made Positive Air Bag @Mush Zombie  while mixing and PCing 1.8L of MYA in Yaahoo bottles loose lidded and covered in foil. Once cooled enough I used the PAB and filled 19 petri dishes and sealed the remaining 5 yahoo bottles. Pics below.

3-27

The agar is cooled and the bottles transferred from PC to ziplocs for fridge storage until needed. 

The 19 dishes were cooled in 3 stacks with a mason jar of hot water sitting on each stack. this was done by leaving it all in the PAB and allowing it to deflate. The hot water jars seemed to work well.  Minimal condensation in the dishes.

I will get the pics up and edit them in. I am taking them just busy mush day and will upload later.

MagicalCriminal

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Site says file size to large yet I have uploaded other pics.... Tips accepted.

MagicalCriminal

large.20190326_110106.jpg.50f2b477f8d32ad7653c7415566b8070.jpglarge.20190327_061858.jpg.b94eff0e1bfd36e5179ef5802346f6fc.jpglarge.20190327_072903.jpg.a4d93bcddddc6f3f24da06c79df16ca1.jpg

• Like 2

MagicalCriminal

ok its been awhile. damn job has been running me 12-14 a day. but life moves forward.:) I am typing this from memory since I currently have no cell or internet. Thank the mush gods for Notepad.I will post when within range of the sphere we call the world again.

2 days from my last post I nocced 2 more bags with GT syringe which if all goes well brings my spawn total to 12 lbs for G2G transfer and substrate addition. My newb assitant/life partner AKA Blurryface (Don't worry I am still a newb too. :)  nocced the bags. 2 with GT and another 2 with LM. What? We are both avid seafood lovers and the LM has us both salivating at the thought of crab flavor.

I grew up in the PNW and cut my teeth picking wavy caps. Been 30 years but I will taste them again. LOL. With my first syringes I included a couple prints of P.Cy. What can I say, I love wood too, especially my own. Read that however you want, I will probably agree. Using a PHAB I cut 4 dishes with P.Cy. and received pics today(6 days later) of growth. Kinda stoked but too early for a WS print to really get excited. I did notice that where the spores were thickest there was less growth, which confirms a post I read somewhere on this wonderful site That too many spores can create as many problems as not enough. The strongest growth(from pics I viewed) seems to be away from the thickest deposits of spores. The thicj deposits haven't tammed but haven't grown. I think next time when I do a spore transfer I will try and spread the spores across a larger surface area instead of cutting deep. With what I have read here and seen in these first plates, I beleive a more robust and faster initial agar culture will be obtained. Both or either I think will be beneficial.

In an attempt to interest the nasty dirty little offspring I call spawn in hygiene, science and the wonders of nature, I set aside two dishes and introduced 2 innoculation sites for each of them. 1 mouth and one hand from each spawn. I am in a quandary why the P.Cy. has shown growth and the nasty little spawn noccs have not. Both were nocced on same day.

current day 4/1
Received the pics of plate growth which made me WOOT! on the P.Cy. plates(6 days) The spawn plates show nothing! I swear to the highest mush god that something is wrong. the gods don't know how nasty my spawn is. Going t0o give it another week which should coincide with my home time. 

Back to the spoiled bags that were never nocced and spoiled after PC for 140 mins@15 PSI in an AA 941. This I really didnt understand at first. I have used many different PC in many of my past hobbies(dont ask, dont tell). I didnt understand why almost 1/2 of the bags I pc'd tammed before noc, then I saw it. 

When I load the PC, I place a an expandandable steamer basket on top to keep everything compressed to prevent bag bursting. Well the center post of this basket which sticks up a couple inches might have damaged the top few bags. I found stretch and possible rupture marks on several bags. unfortunately I noticed this while removing new bags from the PC. 
I have unscrewed and removed the center post and also used packing tape on the bags that I thought might have had a chance to tam. these and future bags will tell the tale of the faulty steamer basket, AKA dumbass newb mistakes.

To sum it up, 19 bags PC'd, 4 tammed or spoiled and tossed at the get go before noc(either too much moisture or bag puncture from steamer basket. 4 nocced mith GT and seem to be doing fine(pics later when I have something resembling internet.) 4 nocced with LM. While showing slow growth which is common from my searching, so they will grow out cause they dont stink and it looks normal from a newbs view. 7 bags left sitting sterile but turned daily to help keep moisture even.

7 bags left if my math is right. It is fucking amazing but somehow I scraped it all together and have 6 more cultures coming in, both edibles and .... I am thinking 2 for PE and 1 for 1 on the remaining bags in a few days.

4-2 

I might have solved my quandary concerning the spawns(kids) plates.  I wasnt thinking and tossed them in the incubator with everything else. However I have a feeling most of the ninjas would prefer a temp closer to 98.6. ;) 

Here is a pic of a couple plates of P.Cy.  Pic was taken March 30.

P. Cy..jpg

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

4-2

My last syringe order came in yesterday.  Today, Blurryface nocced 2 bags and 1 plate with PE and another 2 bags and 1 plate with Cambodian using sterile tek inside the PHAB. This coming weekend we will be PCing as many bags of sub as I can stuff in the PC. I still haven't loaded it to capacity but will try with the sub. I have already removed the post from the steamer basket so no more bag damage.

• Thanks 1

MagicalCriminal

4-4

Checked the first set of 4 bags, 2 GT and 2 LM. The GT myc is spreading fast(sorry no pics at this time) I am guessing 70-80%. I expected it to take longer to reach full colonization due to using Strobes NSNS tek which equates to 3 quarts of grain vs most other teks 2 qt of grain. The temp was bumped from 80* to 82*  Hoping to have them finish within a week for G2G  and  sub addition on the second bag.  I planning a spawn sub ratio of 1/3, so an addition of 9 qts of sub which will give me a 12 quart grow. I am not sure of tub/ tray size to get the 4.5 in depth I read about in the monotub tek. Advice welcome on tray size.

The LM myc is still a bit wispy but covering most of the grains. I did some research on Tony's site because he has grown some huge beautiful LM and is quick to answer questions on his channel. It seems they are doing good. They were shaken again as LM do well with extra shaking and put back in their own incubator(an unheated closet that runs about 71-72*) They might be ready in 2 more weeks to move to sub.

MagicalCriminal

4-4

I have been asked a few times what tek I will be growing/fruiting with, and I guess the best way to describe it would be a modified monotub tek. The modified bit will be an automated environment common to all tubs/trays. Since I wont need the depth of a standard monotub for the environment, I am planning shallower trays to allow a higher number of shelfs. 10-12" apart?

Most of the fruiting room build is coming out of my garage of useful shit(GUS in the future) and begins with a 6x8x7 indoor greenhouse. I will be using a tote, 110v puter fan, controller and 12 disc pond fogger(all parts from GUS) to build a humidifier. The controller is an Inkbird ITC 608T Which is supposed to have the capability of controlling heat, cool, humidify and dehumidify. Still figuring this out since I never got around to using it before and it only has 2 outlets. I may need a second controller. The puter fan will be mounted to the humidifier tote and run 24/7 picking up ambient humidity from the tote. The pond fogger will only kick on as needed. Dehumidify and cooling will be dealt with by a torpedo fan(GUS) inside the GH blowing out one of the ducted GH ports. I am hoping by putting the fan inside blowing out to give the GH a slight negative pressure preventing humidity, spores and what not from escaping into my home. The exhaust will be short ducted outside the home. I need to get shelving and rope lights for the interior of the GH but am holding off on the shelving until I figure out tray size. Next week I am checking Walmart  for trays and shelves. 

I have seen a lot of discussion concerning light color, some say daylight while others swear by blue simulating moonlight with no clear winner in the discussions. I will probably go with daylight rope lights unless I find more definitive info on lighting.  That's about it for now. I promise pics as the build progresses.

MagicalCriminal
Posted (edited)

4-11 busy day. Made 5 LC lids with injection ports and twin syringe filters and made up 24qts(turned out 26 due to balancing field capacity.)large.20190410_145601.jpg.1263ba5bbddb7c384480996adf78015b.jpg

Once that was in the PC I dug out the grow tent and pond fogger, odd tubs, shelves and asst PVC fittings. Tent was set up. 6x8 and 2 sets of shelfs set up inside. Have more room but plenty of space right now.  Had to stop for family time. Will get the humidifier made when I get back next week.

Edited by MagicalCriminal
Fixed
  • Like 1

El_Piraña

Good progress. When are you gonna shake that first GT bag?

On 4/10/2019 at 9:57 AM, MagicalCriminal said:

this kind of growth is what I was expecting from my GT.  7 days.

large.20190409_153426.jpg.b778878c0ee91c928e3bb1c98ce581f0.jpg

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

Was shaken about a week ago. Thought it was only supposed to get a shake at 30%

MagicalCriminal

4-20

I really need to keep the work and postings together but I am working with the time I have. The plan was to put about 8 lbs of spawn to sub but I felt the 2 bags weren't fully colonized yet. Good news is no more tams in any of the bags or plates and 1 more bag should(might) be ready for sub.  Plus the 2 bags of lion's mane spawn will be looking for a new home.

Can someone please tell me why(the dreaded why) I want to taste LM and I don't really care for the standard mushroom flavor. Fuck you shroomology.  Damn I love this site.

MagicalCriminal

KSSS nocced about 10 days ago.

Message_1556316164138.jpg

Psilocybe cyan plates. This myc is getting chunky. Anyone know if that's normal?Message_1556317109372.jpg.691ab7031e2adcb0a7083a10c90c9c6c.jpg

I think the condensation is from this plate being on top of the stack and growing plates under it added a bit of heat. Open to other suggestions. All plates were poured at same time and cooled with a mason jar oh hot water sitting on the top of the stack.Message_1556317175862.jpg.ab0b4e88e430b26b24f828cb56929768.jpg

• Like 2

MagicalCriminal

Pics!

FB_IMG_1556535901422.jpg.85493bc1544a8af0f248c060b022c5e2.jpg

Oops not my grow.🤪

KSSS coming along.

Message_1556539617838.jpg.22e582b95a697a4cb147133696b8f0ed.jpg

Volcano for second grow is fast. Almost surpassed GT from 1st grow

Message_1556539695912.jpg.126165b4ec825bc75a7a4fe6f70f1847.jpg

Yep, that is mycelium running(GT). Lol. I think cultures will be taken from the bag.

Message_1556539894947.jpg.988e800a674728df6c2c276d1d7b77cb.jpg

Got a good shake on this one(GT). Thin but completely covered.

Message_1556540010454.jpg.ad5dd2dea53b13863d1fb0ceeac59ced.jpg

KSSS under glass. Oops was thinking of something else.

Message_1556540146324.jpg.9a48501978a1ce44eb93733e674c8356.jpg

Lion's mane. Completely covered very fine myc. Worried it might try and fruit before I transfer to sub. Read on FCM Lion's mane can do that.

Message_1556541617086.jpg.77b91da1a88f5504a421e1663371a739.jpg

Pretty sure 2 bags of GT, 2 bags of volcano, 3 bags of LM will be spawned this coming weekend. Maybe even some Cambodian. I didn't feel like digging them out of the back of the closet for pics.

• Like 2

Moonphase

Wow.   You have a lot of projects going.  

MagicalCriminal

@Moonphase just got parts for a 24 x 48 flow hood  and working 60-70 hrs a week. Yes my plate is pretty full. Now you see why waiting on mush doesn't strain my patience. Unfortunately it does slow down plans like the outdoor beds, flowhood build, and refrigerated room that is rattling around the back of my head. I would really like to try kings, enoki, and other cold lovers. However one step at a time and anyone can climb a mountain.😁

Lucky for me my wife is just as interested in the process so I am not trying it alone.

• Like 2

MagicalCriminal

Today's task is wrapping the shelving.

Message_1556629460366.jpg.76a8ef8de20c95a9ad8955129d7f7d42.jpg

I have two sets of 5 tier plastic shelves supplied by GUS. They are a little tall for the tent so I removed the top shelf from each and assembled a third 2 tier. They need to be wrapped because most of the shelve has more pockets than holes. The pockets will collect water which would be difficult to clean and promote contamination. 36" wide pallet wrap was used to wrap each shelf then reassembled. 

It's coming down to crunch time and still so much left to do. I know I have 10 days in the Inc once the bags go to sub, but seriously wondering if it's enough time with my current work load.

Question- is it detrimental to leave fully colonized tubs in incubation for 3-5 extra days?

MagicalCriminal

2 bags volcano. Fast colonizer. Meant for grow 2, to be spawned next couple days.Volcano.thumb.jpg.26ac6a50b0299b9db7df3b3d73338cb9.jpg

GT, grow 1.  Wet, some standing water, slow growth. Blocks firm and appear fully colonized. (Pics don't fully represent  actual apperance.) Interesting note. What appears to be rizomorphic growth is growing up the bag walls in the wet bags.Wet_gt.thumb.jpg.13dbc04a2dc6fdb8285d911d73354523.jpg

2  GT bags done 2 days later with lesser water. Colonization is faster, no myc running up the bag.( These bags missed getting labeled at noc time. It is possible they are Cambodian.)GT_dryer.thumb.jpg.263bccede501d0804f3e52979cae9b4a.jpg

KSSS. fast strong growing. Shaken after pic.

KSSS.thumb.jpg.950969feb07e21cccd4948f872e05057.jpg

Finally, the surviving agar plates. Surviving_plates.thumb.jpg.6e33bceaabfee631c9f43a4b40fed587.jpg

Several areas on the cyan plates will be transferred to supplemented sawdust while others moved to new plates.

Cambodian is strong(1 reason I believe there's mislabeled bags) transfer some to grain  and maybe LC.

KSSS also strong. Transfer to plates and possibly LC .

Tommorow, build lifting frame for PC, plumb pond fogger, install tent fan, spawn 15 qts, buy lumber for flowhood.

Myc_running_wet.jpg

• Like 2

Moonphase
On 4/30/2019 at 3:14 PM, MagicalCriminal said:

The evil spawn made wrapping difficult today. However Blurryface still managed to get 5 of the shelves wrapped. I really should have gone out and bought more suitable shelving but it is nice being able to walk through the GUS again

Message_1556654325843.thumb.jpg.60002640a7a4edcd285da252bfffa450.jpg

Wow you got a big grow tent.   I got one half that size from Secret Jardin years ago and it has served me well.   Had not thought about using one for a high Rh grow room for shrooms.   Interesting.   

MagicalCriminal
8 hours ago, Moonphase said:

Wow you got a big grow tent.   I got one half that size from Secret Jardin years ago and it has served me well.   Had not thought about using one for a high Rh grow room for shrooms.   Interesting.   

I wanted to use what I already had. Once set up, it was bigger than I remember. However I am working on edibles also for food and part of the exit plan.😉

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

5-12

Pics of some work done on 5-5

Lion's mane.  Myc appears to be colonizing the sawdust bags much faster than the grain bags did. I would like to believe I came closer to correct moisture content with the sawdust.

Message_1557666918129.jpg.aa43c681a426cb8c60c9af893d8a5bb1.jpg

Message_1557666970207.thumb.jpg.b6f0c7e8d10c0392199ed5865335db32.jpg

KSSS. Strong fast coverage. Probably have to cook sub for 2 days straight just to catch up on all the colonized bags in the closet. I thought we were supposed to wait on mush but seems the mush will be waiting on me.

Message_1557667094916.thumb.jpg.f56eee7479dd064ce28d1a955cd8e64f.jpg

Original KSSS plate and new agar transfers. Big chunks I know, but kinda hard to see through the opaque HEPA bag.

Message_1557667176857.thumb.jpg.176b7e5aec03b88ccd50c0d98e87dbb3.jpg

Message_1557667588929.jpg.32fe8694c177a22651a4af93d6fb1ea0.jpg

Cambodian agar transfers

Message_1557668000739.jpg.9c8de0362478aa9a29eeceb2eefb1978.jpg

Blurryface is really getting the hang of agar work and is estatic that the work she has done is showing fast results. Way to go baby!

• Like 2