• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Tigerlily

First time grow gurl

Tigerlily

Hi there everybody. First time here. I purchased an all in one grow bag as a test run. I got 2 syringes, 1 is Nepal chitwan and the other is albino a+. The albino a+ looked right as rain according to my previous research. The spores were nicely dispersed throughout the solution. The other, NC had a big clot of spores so I didnt use them. Been shaking them up every so often to break the spores up. Anyways I am using my closet. Wiped down my walls mostly, removed everything in there then wiped down a wooden chair thoroughly with bleach solution.  Swept the carpet before any sterilization. Sprayed a crapton of lysol so thick you couldn't breathe then let it air out. Shut down furnace and vents awhile before using the lysol. Wore face maskes and gloves showered and worn freshly clean clothes when entering the closet. I alcoholed my gloves and arms. When I inoculated I heated the needle. Wiped it with alcohol and shot a little through the needle i injected the spore solution through the injection port and moved it around a bit releasing about 1cc in each direction. 4.5ccs in total in a three pound horse manure, straw and rye berry substrate. It's been kept roughly around 75 83degrees farenheit in my house. The closet stays a scoach warmer. I have the bag sitting on the sterilized chair with nothing else but some prep stuff in there. I have checked 1 time a day since the second day hoping to see something. I barely touch the bag just enough to look at the bottom and just enough light with a lighter or phone screen to try and see something. Its day 6 and I see tiny water droplet in there. A very light perspiration of water on a bit of the bag is this good? Does this mean there is growth somewhere in there? Have I done anything wrong? I'm concerned because alot of people say there should be at least something by day 5. Any advice would be helpful. If I could have success with my first grow... I'll be ecstatic. 

Pcitrueprefcet

Never did an all-in-1. Get the temp, humidity, and no lights for a while and as long as your spores and bag are good, you should be ok. You really went all out with as-sterile-as-possible (which is very good to make a habit of).As hard as it seems ,try and forget about them or check every once in a while.i did cakes for the past 8 months and just recently moved to bulk. Be patient, sterile, and follow teks to a T. Oh and be patient... good luck

Tigerlily

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to leave them alone for awhile and as for the humidity how should that be approached? The temp I think is pretty goodish.. as for the other syringe, would it be ok to use if these dont work out? I've read differing things about clotted syringes..

Mushinist

Welcome Tigerlily

It can take 14-20 days for spores to germinate in some cases, as mentioned be patient and just forget about it for several days, I know .... hard to do!

Also there's no need to wipe the needle with alcohol after flame sterilizing, alcohol doesn't kill things instantly so you can possibly reintroduce tams to your needle. 

The water droplets are probably from the temp fluctuations, the inside of the bag will stay warmer while the outside may cool a little causing condensation on the inside.

• Like 1

Tigerlily

Oky doky awesome! I'm still in the ball park! Well I used the swab to cool the needle for extra measures, and alot of people recommend it. Thanks for the heads up! I kinda thought it was redundant. Should I try and control temp fluctuations? It never drops below 70 I dont think and it never gets above 85 on the house itself. Is there any easier way to maintain temp?

aqudoc

Welcome Tigerlily J

Just keep shaking the shit out of that syringe it should break up.  You temps are good stay in the 70-80 range shouldn't have any troubles, low's take longer but too high I got tammed few times (85F).

'Try to forget about it for a while' said everyone on this board lol

Tigerlily
Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone! Ok I get it patience is a virtue... I want results so I'll let it be, just like the Beatles.. hehehe. I'll update in a week, or when the mycelium says hi, fingers crossed😆✌🤙

Edited by Tigerlily
Grammar mistake

Tigerlily

So its been almost a week, just checked the bag out, nothing except a few split berries and slight condensation. Dont know what's up with almost 2 weeks and no myc.  I decided to get two spawn bags and 2 qt jars. The 2 spawn is rye. One jar is BRF and the other is rye. I ordered a GT from a different vendor,  I'm not sure if they sponsor here or not. So how should I proceed?

Sonshyn

Keep up with your sterile procedure . Wipe down your injection ports with alcohol .

are you shaking the syringe vigorously ? 

As far as your all in one bags I’d just let them continue for awhile and see if anything develops . 

Tigerlily
14 minutes ago, Sonshyn said:

Keep up with your sterile procedure . Wipe down your injection ports with alcohol .

are you shaking the syringe vigorously ? 

As far as your all in one bags I’d just let them continue for awhile and see if anything develops . 

Yes I have been shaking it vigorously I think it is the syringe of AA+ that made the bag crap out.  Still nothing in the bag, but April 6 I knocked up a jar and two rye bags with the new GT syringe and those are doing just fine, got my first Mycelium!! Groovy! So I plan on going smaller the first time and set up a 27qt mono. I have manure but people keep telling me to use coir instead.. what should I use? And as far as a casing layer should I use one?

• Like 1

Sonshyn

Coir is good for a first time with some spent coffee grounds . CMC can tam easier . Do you have a pc?

Tigerlily

I do not yet have a pressure cooker but plan on getting one for the future, forgive me but what does CMC stand for?

Sonshyn

Cow manure compost. Did you buy manure at the store or did you order a Manure grow kit or ?

Tigerlily

Oh ok, and I ordered a couple sterilized bags of horse manure from a vendor 

MagicalCriminal
Posted (edited)

It is probably prepared substrate and ready for use.

Horse manure will work just fine.

Edited by MagicalCriminal
Add info

Sonshyn

@Tigerlily cool that’s how I started out too. Once you get some  spawn jars good and nocced up you’ll be good to go . 

Tigerlily
42 minutes ago, MagicalCriminal said:

It is probably prepared substrate and ready for use.

Horse manure will work just fine.

It is, yes. I was wondering if I should put down a casing layer, and Sonshyn that's awesome! I do have that GT bag and the jar colonizing pretty nicely at 78 farenheit.  Want some pics? I wanted to know how healthy it looked to you guys anyways

Sonshyn

I never used a casing when I did grow bags and I had good results . I think bc the bag is covering the sub plus another half a foot plastic to keep some moisture in even when you open the top . If that makes sense .

Currently I am doing tubs and use a casing with tubs . 

Pics are helpful :)

Tigerlily

Yes Haha it makes sense I was actually going to spawn it to bulk in a 27qt mono. I've seen the hole Tek and honestly the unmodified tub seems more my style getting personal with my crop ya know, the sit and forget tubs seems like a shortcut. I wanna enjoy every second I can with these babies lol I'll go grab those pics real quick 

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

If you're going to bulk, I would case it after your substrate is fully colonized. It should help improve multiple flushes.

Tigerlily
22 minutes ago, MagicalCriminal said:

If you're going to bulk, I would case it after your substrate is fully colonized. It should help improve multiple flushes.

Alright I'll definitely do that then. It is 1/4" right? Here's those pics. 

20190412_082709.jpg

20190412_082744.jpg

20190412_082833.jpg

Sonshyn

What casing are you going to use and how are you going to get it up to a proper temp for sterilization and get your casings moisture level dialed in? 

I’ve had lots of luck without casing bags . It can’t hurt but at the same time the more you mess with something the more you open yourself up to unwanted inputs IMHO. 

Read through some grow logs and find one similar to what you’re doing and see what you can gleen from that . 

Tigerlily

I have a casing mix of manure verm peat moss gypsum already sterilized 

Sonshyn

Ok that’ll work, hope you got all this from a reputable dealer . We can’t mention names so plz don’t . 

You should look into doing this yourself though . A large pressure cooker on amazon will only set you back 78 bucks . And the rest of the stuff you need maybe another 50. 

Tigerlily

DNa I get the rules Haha I will be soon as this ones done. See if I like the over all results. I have a question? I may have screwed up my tote calculation. I have 2qts of spawn and 2qts sub plus a casing layer. What size monotub do I need I thought it was 27qt. But I may have misunderstood