• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

trubio

Hey so this is my first time. It's been 22 days since inoculation. I have 7 jars, 5 of them are colonizing.  1 jar is almost done but seems the others are far behind. Please give me any feedback, excited to learn new things. Here are pics of the jars. How do they look?

20190401_182515.jpg

20190401_182531.jpg

20190401_182610.jpg

20190401_182624.jpg

20190401_182717.jpg

20190401_182803.jpg

20190401_182830.jpg

• Like 2

El_Piraña

Those are looking great, good job on your first try!

Have you started putting together a fruiting chamber yet? While you’re waiting for the jars to finish colonizing it’s the perfect time to get the next steps figured out.

• Like 2

trubio

I havnt started making it yet, but have my plans figured out already. I will need to get started soon because I think within a week that the first jar will be ready.

El_Piraña

Once the jar is fully colonized (at least as it looks from the outside of the jar) let it sit another week before putting into fruiting condition. It may take longer to colonize all the way through to the center of the cake. Sometimes it’ll start pinning while still in the jar...at that point you can go ahead and move to the next steps.

on my first couple BRF cake grows I tried a SGFC, but never really worked well for me. In the end I set up a tub with wet perlite in the bottom, then drilled FAE holes with polyfill just like you would do for a monotub. 

• Like 1

trubio

Thanks for the tips. I am planning on trying SGFC and see how it goes

trubio

The picture of the first jar is almost completely covered now. There are a couple of areas that look differnt.  I'M posting 2 pictures of what I'm talking about. Does this look ok?

20190412_211557.jpg

20190412_211535.jpg

• Like 1

Moonphase

Yes.   As mycelium grows it produces metabolites which is the yellow you see.   It also sometimes will grow little pins, or other forms as the mycelium matures before starting to fruit.    What you will see will be cool.   They look good.   Got a ways to go though.  

• Like 1

trubio

So one of my cakes are ready and it's in the sgfc. Can anyone tell me if coloring is normal?

20190430_062441.jpg

20190430_062448.jpg

20190430_062506.jpg

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

How difficult was it to remove from the jar? It looks a little bruised or possibly dry. It may be difficult but I would try to keep rH high between your evaporative fannings. 

• Like 1

trubio

That's what I was thinking, it wasn't to hard to get out, had to tap and shake it some . Also I did dunk it for 24hours it's been about 3 days since then. I've been misting the walls and the lid and perlite 4-5 times a day. Should I be misting the cake aswell?

El_Piraña

Looks like bruising to me. If it was contamination, you will generally  see the tam change quickly too.

are you gonna roll your following cakes in vermiculite after the dunk?

• Like 1

trubio

No I didn't roll this one, but when the others get ready I plan to roll them, just wanted to experiment to see which way works best, there's alot of mixed opinions lol

trubio

Is this normal? I don't see any pins yet, but the myc seems to be getting thicker? And growing some on the foil

20190506_191013.jpg

Moonphase

You really should have some vermiculite between the foil and the cake to provide drainage and some holes in the foil.   I use one of my jar rings as a mold and wrap heavy duty aluminum foil around it for a base, poke 4 holes in it. and fill it with verm.  As your other cakes mature you might consider adding a drainage layer and coating the cake in verm to help hold the moisture in the cake after misting to prevent them from drying out.       

trubio

Ok I will do that, the myc getting thicker like that normal?

Moonphase

Primordia formation.  Google mushroom life cycle.

trubio

Ok thanks

trubio

They are deffenitly growing, this is day 4 since pinning. Kinda short and stumpy and 1 growing down lol. How do these look?

20190514_063114.jpg

20190514_063059.jpg

20190514_063049.jpg

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

Do you have light from the top? Mush grow towards light and fresh air.

They still look healthy

trubio

They are in a room which has natural light,  the sgfc is clear other than the top that is a solid white color

MagicalCriminal

It sounds like they're doing exactly what they're supposed to do. Grow towards light and fresh air

Moonphase

Small shrooms are high quality shrooms.   😎

trubio

I just went to mist and noticed one had a different color. So I went ahead and picked it. Is this  bad? 

20190514_182503.jpg

20190514_182453.jpg

Moonphase

Looks stressed.   

trubio

I took a differnt picture on a piece of paper. Is it if ok ? Or should I go ahead and pick the rest of them?

20190514_183446.jpg