• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

MycoPenis

What is that purple "powder like" stuff?

Question

MycoPenis

Hi,

I'm using the PF tek for the Golden Teacher and I happened to get this on one of my cakes. (see pictures)  I've isolated it because at that point, the color was kinda subtle and I wasn't even sure if there was a definite color.

The plan was to isolate it and see the evolution. But I forgot to take care of it (no water or anything)... and  in spite of this, the purple-ish color became definitely purple.  Even though it is beautiful, am I looking at the infamous purple mold that can trigger meningitis?  Is someone able to tell me what is it exactly please? 

Thanks

beautiful purple 20190407_151915_001.jpg

purple.jpg

7 answers to this question

MycoPenis
9 hours ago, MycoPenis said:

Just to make sure, the mushroom that you see on the picture has that color because that cake got leftout for 10-14 days without misting and stuff. Didn't intend to eat it obviously and took pictures before getting rid of it. 

Also, the purple spot is very local, I haven't seen it elsewhere on this cake or on the others. MushZombie, I know that you have plenty to read and it might be very trivial for you, but i'd be glad to know what I am looking at.  I assume this is contamination, but I'm interested in the biology aspect of it. Texture is quite fascinating.  I can't find any picture that looks like it. 

I've seen super glowy fluo purple/pink stuff in jars when I looked for "purple/pink mold" in the search options, but on fruiting cakes, can't seem to find anything that looks like it.  Maybe the aspect is different because of the low humidity?

So anyway, thank you for your time (to whoever has any hypothesis!) : ) 

Whuuuuut

Did u try and hit it with a lil h202+water mist, almost seems like a bruise from excess spore Noc that got tammed but I would wait for a more knowledgeable response, I would toss it if a lil peroxide water spray didn’t take it down though. I had something similar but not as fuzzy and when I cut it open in a sab it was a good 3/4” into the cake

MycoPenis
2 minutes ago, Whuuuuut said:

Did u try and hit it with a lil h202+water mist, almost seems like a bruise from excess spore Noc that got tammed but I would wait for a more knowledgeable response, I would toss it if a lil peroxide water spray didn’t take it down though. I had something similar but not as fuzzy and when I cut it open in a sab it was a good 3/4” into the cake

Didn't try much quite frankly. 

It's my 2nd attempt at growing mushrooms so I treat it with a lot of "respect", as I don't try much nor take much initiatives regarding possible contamination/mold.  I just isolated it, and wanted to see its evolution by curiosity.... but then I just forgot about it and took pictures afterwards to get some inputs about it. 

I should have added that on my very last harvested cake, I've spotted a tiny purple spot that looked like the one you see on the picture, dusty texture I'd say.  I couldn't tell for sure if it was there the whole time but I guess it was recent as the spot was really small compared to the one on the picture and also because I would have probably seen it before otherwise. 

The one on the picture is in the garbage but the cake with the tiny spot is still in a Ziploc Bag sitting in water. I wouldn't mind cutting it to inspect the inside.  As MZ already said "don't play with mold"... but at the same time, it is so hard to resist, this is quite fascinating (to me anyway)

Thanks for your input, I appreciate. 

Whuuuuut
4 hours ago, MycoPenis said:

As MZ already said "don't play with mold"... but at the same time, it is so hard to resist, this is quite fascinating (to me anyway)

Same same man the cakes are fun to experiment with if u have proper protection, hepa purifier etc

one thing the big dogs would prob disagree with...tried 70% iso with a dropper when I had a purple spot on top and it seemed to go away, still waiting for the baby pins to blow up but I will share what happens when I know more.

MycoPenis

Sorry for the bump. But if someone experimented enough could tell me what I am looking at, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks again

Moonphase

Snipped from the internet.   "We hate to be the bearer of bad news, but purple mold is generally considered dangerous. More often than not, purplish mold is either Phanerochaete Crassa or Gibberella, with the latter closely associated to the toxic pink mold Fusarium known to produce mycotoxins. The Phoma glomerata is also another type of mold that can be purple in color, although it is less dangerous than the other two types of mold."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MycoPenis
On 5/7/2019 at 3:50 PM, Moonphase said:

Snipped from the internet.   "We hate to be the bearer of bad news, but purple mold is generally considered dangerous. More often than not, purplish mold is either Phanerochaete Crassa or Gibberella, with the latter closely associated to the toxic pink mold Fusarium known to produce mycotoxins. The Phoma glomerata is also another type of mold that can be purple in color, although it is less dangerous than the other two types of mold."

Oh! Definitely looks like Phanerochaete Crassa from the pictures I've googled of each mold.  Thank you very much Mr. Detective! 

• Haha 1