• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Iamchefmo

Spawn bag questions NOOB

Iamchefmo

Hello I am very new to mushroom cultivation. I believe I am doing a good job so far I just wanted some insights/tips from some more experienced growers. I knocked up my spawn bag about 3 weeks ago, saw first signs of mycelium on day 13 or so. I believe now I am about 50% colonized. I did an initial shake after inoculation and another shake when I believed it was around 20% colonized. I used 5ccs of golden teacher spores. The mycelium looks healthy but thin in some spots. Also I had a few questions about incubation temps/ lighting. I have been moving it back and fourth from a tote by my ground heater that usually stays around 75 to a shelf on my closet that is a little cooler. I ultimately want to make sure this bag does not fail, this is my third attempt. I have uploaded pictures of my progress. 

15555196265433181621067611686350.jpg

1555519662686805319516108296879.jpg

15555196846964972162725880171297.jpg

15555197076142446601100399827262.jpg

15555197434982292768898638223922.jpg

Sonshyn

Looking good so far . You can keep it i that ground tote at 75 Just don’t go past 80 

• Like 2

Niidaho

Like @Sonshyn. Said u don't have to worry about light at all try and keep between 75 and 80 looks like u are on your way .

• Like 1

Moonphase

Mycelium likes to grow in the dark.   

• Like 1

Iamchefmo

Thanks for your replys . I also was worried about the condensation, seems to be kind of wet on the walls of the bag. Smells like straight mushrooms no signs of visible contaminations. I plan to spawn this bag some time next week.  

Mush Zombie

That is due to a phenomenon known as dew point. The air in the fruiting chamber is much warmer than the plastic of it. This causes the moisture in the air to condense on the walls. Like brining a cold can of soda outside during the summer.

the goal is to cool the air in the fc to about that of the plastic. 68-72 degrees. 

Condensate almost always indicates temps too high

Iamchefmo

Makes sense. So do you recommend that I put the tote away from the heater so it falls back to room temperature? I know contams are higher risk at higher temps but I also read it promotes healthier mycelium and faster colonization times. I thought I'd give it a shot since my other bags failed on the shelf 

Mush Zombie

Oh I apologize I was confused as to which thread I was commenting in. My last reply was about actual fruiting chambers and conditions. You are incubating. You need to maintain 77-80* air temperatures during incubation but do not sit your bags directly on a heating source. 

Moonphase

Learning a lot reading your posts keep it up. 

Iamchefmo

I have them in a tote on the floor next to a space heater but I moved it to my closet I will let it finish colonizing at room temp before spawning to my substrate. I will keep updated. Also what to expect for yield? Hoping to get a few dry ounces at least. I guess the bags and substrate have enough moisture for 3 flushes.