• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Shroomybuddha

What is fanning? Mycelium turning slightly yellow

Shroomybuddha

Hey everyone im hoping i could get some answers to some questions. This is my girst grow and i dunked my jar cakes for about 11 hours then put them in the fruiting chamber. Three days later im noticing a very slight yellowish color on 2 of my cakes. Ive been doing some research and some people say its because of high humidity. Im at 99% humidity, is this too much? I have a growkit that came with a humidifier and im currently using it. There is alot of moisture in the container. There is no standing eater but its very wet inside.I also have a heat mat under the container to keep my temps average ( Around 76-78 F). Im really worried and hoping to get some answers

1555527341610977909807.jpg

1555527384681388874561.jpg

1555527403514504071727.jpg

Mush Zombie

You do not need the humidifier with the perlite. Disconnect that. It’s going to cause too much FAE. Mist  and fan manually 3x a day. 

Remove the heat mat.

Remove the light from inside of the fruiting chamber. Your temps are too high for indoor growing. You should aim at 68-72 inside of the fruiting chamber for quality mushrooms. 

• Like 1

Shroomybuddha
17 minutes ago, Mush Zombie said:

You do not need the humidifier with the perlite. Disconnect that. It’s going to cause too much FAE. Mist  and fan manually 3x a day. 

Remove the heat mat.

Remove the light from inside of the fruiting chamber. Your temps are too high for indoor growing. You should aim at 68-72 inside of the fruiting chamber for quality mushrooms. 

Thank you so much for the info zombie. Sorry to bother you again but could you explain what you mean by fanning and misting. Do i mist the actually cakes or perlite? For fanning do you literally mean like putting a fan up to the the container or just like taking the lid off and letting it air out? Thanks

Moonphase

Lightly mist the cakes.    Use the lid and fan the cakes like you are fanning to get a fire lit.   Misting lightly and fanning stimulates evaporation.   It's a work out on your arms for sure.   But look at it this way.   You won't have to go to the gym except to work on your legs.

• Haha 1

Shroomybuddha
4 hours ago, Moonphase said:

Lightly mist the cakes.    Use the lid and fan the cakes like you are fanning to get a fire lit.   Misting lightly and fanning stimulates evaporation.   It's a work out on your arms for sure.   But look at it this way.   You won't have to go to the gym except to work on your legs.

Thank you for the clarification on the fanning. Do the cakes look generally healthy?

Moonphase

Look okay to me except it doesn't look like you rolled them in vermiculite before putting them into the FC.   

DonkeyHote

Mist and fan 4 times per day for 5 minutes. I use the timer on my phone. 

Shroomybuddha
2 hours ago, Moonphase said:

Look okay to me except it doesn't look like you rolled them in vermiculite before putting them into the FC.   

Okay thanks for the info. My grow book that came with the kit said that rolling in vermiculite was optional, is this incorrect info? Are you always suppossed to roll in vermiculite?

Shroomybuddha
2 hours ago, DonkeyHote said:

Mist and fan 4 times per day for 5 minutes. I use the timer on my phone. 

Ok thank you ill make sure to do that. How close should i spray the cakes? Like a few inches away or more?

Moonphase

I just walk around the FC and mist into it at the same time.   I don't stick the mister into the FC.   

DonkeyHote

I guess I mist from a foot or so, maybe 2. You want fine droplets. Mist the walls of the tub and The cakes. If you have pins, fan until they are dry. 

Shroomybuddha
2 hours ago, Moonphase said:

I just walk around the FC and mist into it at the same time.   I don't stick the mister into the FC.   

1 hour ago, DonkeyHote said:

I guess I mist from a foot or so, maybe 2. You want fine droplets. Mist the walls of the tub and The cakes. If you have pins, fan until they are dry. 

Thank you both for the info on misting and fanning. I dont know if this makes a difference or not but i dunked the cakes for about 12 hours before i put them in the fruiting chamber.