• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Moonphase

Grow Log #4

Moonphase

Rinsed 9 cups of rye berries and put them to soak for 24 hours.   Going to noc up 6 qt. jars on Sunday.  Not sure which strain yet.   Penis envy?   Tampanesis?   Texas?   Golden Teacher?  Just trying to get the hydration accurate.  Let the experimentation continue.    

IMG_2815.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Moonphase

Sooo... tonight this happened.   Backup plan B initiated.   Made up 15 half pint jars for a PF tek.   Just in case everything else fails.  They are in the PC now which is hissing away.   I'll be noc'ing up all 15 tomorrow night with Golden Teacher while the 6 qt. jars of rye are in the PC.          

IMG_2816.jpeg

MagicalCriminal

I think you made the right choice. GT seems to be the one most resistant to our mistakes.

• Like 1

Moonphase

7 qt jars of rye berries are in the PC hissing away for the next 100 minutes.   I go the extra 10 minutes because my PC will boil out all the water if I take it up to 15 psi which is no bueno and I have to go with 13-14 psi.   Had some extra grain left but no room in the PC since I used the 2nd spacer and some rims between them to allow for additional water.    So, I loaded up 4 of the 1/2 pint jars with grain because they would fit bringing the total up to 8 qts.    Proper rye grain hydration:   You want the tails hanging out but not the guts.   That's the best way I can explain it.   Tek said to remove exploded berries and I thought that was the tail sticking out so I wanted to clarify that for everyone. (reason for my fail on Grow 3 was lack of proper hydration).   I though exploded meant the tails hanging out.  Wrong.   (See photo).  Rye was soaked for 24 hours and put into boiling water where it sat without heat for 10 minutes.   There were not too many with their guts hanging out and about 90% with their tails hanging out.  Picture isn't that good but it'll give you an idea.   

IMG_2818.jpeg

MagicalCriminal

If your PC has a gauge, there is no reason to let it hiss and piss all the water out. Keep it at 15 with just the occasional hiss and you won't lose water while maintaining 250*.  I start with maybe an inch of water and there is plenty left 2.5 hours later.

Moonphase
4 hours ago, MagicalCriminal said:

If your PC has a gauge, there is no reason to let it hiss and piss all the water out. Keep it at 15 with just the occasional hiss and you won't lose water while maintaining 250*.  I start with maybe an inch of water and there is plenty left 2.5 hours later.

I would if I could but I can't.   Even on high heat the PC won't get up to 15 psi.   A smidge over 14 is all it will reach according to the gauge.   It's a T-Fal.   I expected more from it but alas it falls short.  

The 15 half pint jars of my super PF tek on the right I might noc up tonight.   I'm kind of tired though so I may wait until morning.  The 7 quart jars and 4 half pint jars of rye berries on the left I can noc up tomorrow after they cool down from being PC'd today.      

IMG_2819.jpg

MagicalCriminal

Even 14 the temp will be 246*F.  Run it up to 14, then slowly back of heat so it stops hissing but maintains 14. If pressure drops a bit, turn heat up a bit. It's a balancing act. As long as the pressure is there, you aren't losing temp and as long as it isn't hissing you aren't boiling your water out.

The gauge could be off also. My AA gauge was accurate(15) for about 5 hrs total. Now it reads 2 cold and 17 with jiggler hissing once per minute or constantly.

I just looked at a t fall. Not even sure how it works. Didn't see a jiggler or gauge. Maybe spring loaded vent? Anyway physics concerning temp and pressure is the same.  I really hope the above post made sense. 

• Like 1

Moonphase

I'm well versed in PC function.   Thank you for your input though.  B)

MagicalCriminal

No insult intended brother. I thought you were having problems keeping water in the PC and wanted to share what works for me.

• Like 2

Moonphase

Noc'd up 15 half pint jars of BRF+ with 2 syringes of GT and put them into the IC (Incubation Closet) at noon.    Saw some whitish stuff floating in the syringes along with the spores during the shake.   I hope that's not a contaminant and the syringes are ok.    I'll peek in a couple of weeks.   I also decided to noc up 6 of the rye grain jars with Tampanesis and use some PE for 1 of the qt jars and the 4 half pint jars.   This way I will be more able to compare this hydration soak and boil time to the other one that had an 85% failure rate.    Doing it this way so I can tell any difference in colonization success and waiting time in comparison to my previous tek with the same strains.           

Moonphase

Well that's done.   All 26 jars are noc'd up and in the IC.   GT, Tampanesis, and PE.    Time to unwind.   Decompress.   Unlax.   I'll peek in a couple of weeks.   In the meantime I still get to mess around with what's left of Grow 3.    

Moonphase

Bored.   So I just made 5 more lids for the 5 half pint jars I had left.   I have a GT syringe left so I figured..... why not.    That'll make an even 20 cakes to split between 2 FC.     :nana:

• Like 1

Moonphase

After noc'ing up these 5 jars I would have half a syringe of GT left.    So, I put on 4 cups of rye berries to soak for a qt. jar rye berry tek to use up the rest of the GT syringe.   The jars were just sitting there looking at me.   See how GT responds to rye berry.   :thinking:

MagicalCriminal

I think they will do fine.  GT is tried and tested by many newbs(raises hand in the crowd) Even using 20% too much water in oat it filled the bag with myc. 

Grow forth young myc, show the world your power. Hehe

• Haha 2

Moonphase

So tonight this happened.   PC'd 5 PF tek half pint jars of BRF+ and 4 qt. jars of rye berries.   Tomorrow I'll noc them up with the last syringe of Golden Teacher.    This will keep me busy through the middle of July real easy and it'll make my return in the fall much nicer.   

IMG_2833.jpeg

• Like 1

Moonphase

Last night I consolidated the 1/2 pint jars into one box and noticed the ones I noc'd up with the GT  on 4/28 had already colonized about 20-30% of each of the BRF+ jars.   That's fast.  I'll check on their progress weekly.    

Moonphase

Well that's it for this spring and summer.   I won't be starting any more teks until fall.  Noc'd up the 5 half pint jars and 4 qt jars with GT this afternoon.   Today is day 7 since I noc'd up my plan B golden teachers so I snapped a pic when I added todays 5 to the box.    All 15 looked like this.               

IMG_2836.jpg

• Like 2

Moonphase

PF tek for BRF cakes tip.   Field capacity will allow clumping.   When filling the jars do it a couple spoons at a time then use a fork to flake out the clumps to make it evenly distributed.   Then lightly tamp the jar onto a towel to lightly compact it.   Repeat until jar is filled to where you want it.   This will help to keep any voids or crevasses to a minimum.   I didn't pay attention to this last time I did jars and had 4 or 5 fail from improper loading.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MagicalCriminal

Beautiful myc. Hope it's a productive one.

Moonphase
On 5/5/2019 at 5:41 PM, Moonphase said:

Well that's it for this spring and summer.   I won't be starting any more teks until fall.  Noc'd up the 5 half pint jars and 4 qt jars with GT this afternoon.   Today is day 7 since I noc'd up my plan B golden teachers so I snapped a pic when I added todays 5 to the box.    All 15 looked like this.               

IMG_2836.jpg

Today is day 13 and the growth on these GT is phenomenal.   The bottoms of the jars are filled in 100%.   The sides are at 90% spread from it looks like.   Looks like they will be ready to birth at the 4 week mark.   No the usual 5 weeks.   Colonizing very fast.   

IMG_2857.jpg

MagicalCriminal

Is that silica gel instead of verm in the bottom? Do you add it dry or hydrate it first?

Moonphase
2 minutes ago, MagicalCriminal said:

Is that silica gel instead of verm in the bottom? Do you add it dry or hydrate it first?

No.   Coarse grade #3 Vermiculite in the Qt. jars.   I think what you are talking about though is the 1/2 pint BRF+ jar pictured directly above your question.   Those are tiny water droplets that formed from the growth of the mycelium.   Here's a closer look.     

Screen_Shot_2019-05-11_at_2_13.20_PM.png

MagicalCriminal

Yes that's what I saw but the drops appeared to encapsulate a clear particle.  I also saw the water and the running myc which is present in my first GT bags.  Was hoping to learn. Only my wet bags had  running myc though yours looks much more uniform and rizomorphic. Mine looks like a mad dash for dry land.☹️

Moonphase

On a side note.   The qt. jars of rye berries that I noc'd up with GT are barely showing any growth at all in the same time frame as compared to the BRF+ medium.   Rye berry is much slower.   There is an idea rattling around in my head to speed things up with the rye berry tek.   Next time.