• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Moonphase

Grow Log #4

Moonphase

So glad I started this PF tek half pint jar plan B.   So far Grow 3 my first foray into the rye grain tek has been a total and complete failure.    

Sonshyn

Why do t you do summer grows ? Too hot, more contaminants, big vacation planned ?

Moonphase

My early spring tek didn't produce well.   Trying to make up for it.   

Moonphase

The 4 qt jars of GT were at 20% so I shook them up.   No noticeable growth on the Tampanesis or PE at the two week point.  

Moonphase

Two more days and it'll be 4 weeks on the half pint jars.    Time for 15 of them to take a bath.      

• Like 2

Moonphase

The 4 qt jars of GT I shook on Monday are at 100% already.   Damn that was fast.  I'll have to thaw out some more substrate.  Unexpected guest on Tuesday so the half pint jars will have to wait until then.      

Moonphase

Having trouble getting the RH up to 80%.   I may need to modify.   Adapt.   Overcome.   

Mush Zombie

What is the temp

• Thanks 1

Moonphase

Struggling right now.   72-74F.   A/C guy will be out on Tuesday.  RH at 74%.  Feel like adding a quart of water to each tub.   About all I can do until then is mist and fan more often and or move them to a cooler location.   

MagicalCriminal

Cooler air hold less moisture.

• Like 1
  • Butthurt 1

Mush Zombie

Cooler air actually increases RH because it can’t hold as much moisture. 

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

That took a little thinking. It's about the saturation point if I understand correctly.

Mush Zombie

Relative humidity is a general estimate of how much water the air can hold at a given space and temperature. Air molecules expand with temp allowing the air to hold more water. If more water does not fill the molecules as temp increases RH goes down. 

Likewise if you decrease temp air molecules shrink, and thus makes RH go up in the same space. This makes it easier to maintain a proper RH, since the air molecules are now easier to fill due to the smaller size of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moonphase
2 hours ago, Mush Zombie said:

Cooler air actually increases RH because it can’t hold as much moisture. 

Yes, MZ something I've learned here.  Last year in fact... on my first grow reading your responses.  I also read it again yesterday on a little review that I did on google about RH control in micro-environments.   The good news is the A/C decided to start cooling things down finally with the temp at 69F now.   FC air RH ought to start coming up as the temp inside the FC deceases and the perlite temp drops but it reads 75% right now.   Needs another 5-10%.   I've been thinking about investing in a couple aquarium pumps and some air stones for a reservoir air bubbler thing.   I read a tek on here about increasing RH that way.   I think it was Don-Shadows tek?    

Moonphase

Took out 2 gallon bags of substrate to thaw.   I'll check the Ph and make sure it's 7.5-8 and PC it.   I'll be putting rye berries noc'd up with GT to spawn in the next 3 days.  

Moonphase

PC is hissing away again.   8 Qts of substrate is being sterilized.   Going to put the 4 Qts. of rye berry that I noc'd up with GT to spawn tomorrow.   It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks.   Two FC's left.   I may need to go shopping again.   I hate shopping.   Damn.   :facepalm:    

Moonphase

So tonight this happened.   I put 4 Qt. jars of rye berries noc'd up with GT to spawn at a 1:2 ratio with a coco coir/spent coffee ground/wheat bran substrate that had been PC'd at 14 psi for 100 minutes last night.   The 4 6 Qt. tubs were lined with 2 mil black contractor bags, covered with foil, 4 holes poked in it for gas exchange and covered with micro-pore tape.   I put 2 directly over the IC heat source at 84-85F and I put two on the top shelf near the ceiling where the heat gathers.   I'll check that temp with a therm move in a little while.   MZ said my tubs were taming out because I was using too low of a temp so I have changed things up.   I'm going to have to invest in a positive air flow HEPA set up it looks like if I ever want to get away from Mr. Green (see grow #3).    12 days I will open the tubs but until then I'm not looking or thinking about them since they all seem to fail.   Just going to mist and fan my plan B cakes.   

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

Mush Zombie

the Psilocybe Mexicana was contaminating due to low incubation temps. Don't confuse Psilocybe Mexicana and Psilocybe Cubensis. Cubensis does not need a high temp. You can turn it to 85* for the first 2-3 days after spawning to your bulk sub, but you're going to want to go back down to 77-80* after day 3.

Moonphase

Thank you.   I moved the GT tubs back down to a level where they will be  in the 78-80 range.   

Moonphase

So I excised this off a cake a few days ago and isolated the cake for a few days.    No further growth appeared so the cake was reintroduced back into general population.  I am hoping it was a simple mold from a drop that was left too long.   If so the cake may be ok.   the crater is 1/4 inch deep.   It will be closely monitored.   Fathers day weekend I am hoping will be an entertaining.      

IMG_2979.jpg

Moonphase

Plan B.   First pins starting to form on the cakes.   Added a half gallon of H2O to each of the FC's to try and bring up the Rh.   Room air temp 68-70F.   Trying to stimulate evaporation from the surface of the perlite.    Towel under the IC hoping to create a temperature differential beneficial to evaporation and increased Rh.    

IMG_2991.jpeg

IMG_2994.jpg

Moonphase

Rh is still in mid 70's.   Need to bring it up 10 points.   Any suggestions?