• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Moonphase

Grow Log #4

Mush Zombie

Post a picture of the fruiting chamber 

Moonphase
52 minutes ago, Mush Zombie said:

Post a picture of the fruiting chamber 

It's a 60 qt. ziplock weather shield with a 1 & 3/8" hole (for the hose to a cool air fogger which I am considering hooking back up today) on both sides currently covered with on layer of micropore tape.   I had a cool air fogger hooked up last year.   The other side looks the same of course.   Didn't realize I got the perlite so lopsided?  I could put another layer or two of micropore tape over the holes.    

IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3003.jpg

Mush Zombie

I would advise not using the fogger and taping up that giant hole. See if that bring up RH over the next 24 hours.

• Thanks 1

Moonphase

I'll give that a try MZ thanks for your input.   

• Like 1

Mush Zombie

You’re welcome 

Moonphase

Okay MZ.   I have put a double layer of duck tape over the holes on top of the micropore tape that was already covering them.   Nothing should be getting in or out of those.    Temp holding at 69F with a degree bounce either way.    Monitoring will continue.    The next 6 days are important days for this Plan B grow.   Didn't want to take any chances of making another "noob" mistake.   I remember mushmouth or maybe mushinist last year saying they just couln't understand why people kept putting holes in their FC's.   Keeping my fingers crossed this plan B is "fruitful".   :pooping:

• Like 1

Moonphase

Heh.   I forgot I had two virgin 60 qt. ziplock weather shield tubs I got last year in preparation of the tubs that didn't colonize for me on Grow #3.   So, a quick change out and the 20 cakes have new FC's with a full 4 inches of wet perlite and no standing water.   This grow was too important to me to take any chances.    Monitoring the current situations for any increase in relative humidity from the current 75%.   No wonder my cakes were showing signs of stress with minor bruising.    Personal Memo:   If they survive the first flush after the bath re-roll in fresh dry vermiculite for a better coating.   :clap:

• Like 1

Moonphase

No change in Rh.    Doing a temperature and room humidity increase during fanning (door open to outside) to see if I can stimulate surface evaporation of the perlite with some temperature differentiation.    I'll monitor for another 24 hours and see what happens.   I've seen people use aquarium pumps with a reservoir of perlite and water with an "alleged" increase in Rh.    Would that work MZ?   If so I'll visit the pet store.   

Mush Zombie

Temp increase will decrease RH. See why a cased bulk substrate is easier? 

Tigerlily

Rye isn't actually slower than BRF in my opinion. I just got done with a GT grow and the rye moved alot faster. I think it just has to do with moisture content of each. My BRF jars took way longer and they were kept in the same conditions. Did you shake your rye jars? As for PE I just started my first grow for those and I inoculated 2 GT bags at the same time. The GT is lagging while I've already spawned the PE to my mono. GT I THINK is finicky about moisture content. But they move pretty fast if everything is just right. 5 weeks for GT seems slow. 

Moonphase
24 minutes ago, Mush Zombie said:

Temp increase will decrease RH. See why a cased bulk substrate is easier? 

True if you can get the mycelium to consolidate the substrate which I have yet to have any success at.   Yet.   My first grow was GT and that went off without a hitch and I had great flushes.   The last one was a disappointment.   This one is giving me troubles too.   Guess my first grow was beginners luck.     

Tigerlily

Why are you having trouble with consolidation? Are you letting it run the full 10 days? Sometimes it will take up to 14, are you making sure they are sealed properly during colonization?

Moonphase

Short.   Fat.  Too much FAE.    And the Rh won't get over 75%.   These weather shield totes may not be as sealed as I think they are.   I may run a little weather stripping or maybe a line of silicone around the tote on the opposite side of the weather stripping on the lid just to tighten up the lid seal.   See if that helps.   

• Like 1

Moonphase

Right now I am just going to leave them alone.   Let them enjoy some CO2 for a while and watch to see what happens.    See if they will lengthen up some.  😎

• Like 1

Moonphase

This is what I saw today.    Picked the shrooms.   10 g.    This grow isn't going very well either.    Put them in to soak for 24 and will put them under the tree in the back yard.   

IMG_3013.jpg

• Like 1

Moonphase

Rule 1.   Use sterile techniques.   Rule 2.   Create as favorable an environment as you can.   Rule 3.   Don't fuck with them.   It won't be a total loss.  

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

• Like 2

Moonphase

Fruits are starting to lengthen out.   The fat ones are narrowing and elongating.   As long as the caps don't start breaking for a couple of days it'll be a good thing.   I'd like to see them double in length.   CO2  is a good thing.   

• Like 1

Moonphase

Creating atmospheric conditions in an enclosed space.   RH.   Surface moisture evaporates and rises.   In an enclosed space that moisture in the air translates to increased RH.   As CO2 increases from growth that also raises RH.    Here's the rub.   How to stimulate surface evaporation of moisture retained in perlite.   Problems to overcome.   Water flows to the lowest level and any misting the perlite won't hold becomes a reservoir on the bottom of the FC.   Without evaporation any standing water will do just that.... stand there.   Without something to generate upward movement to bring the standing water back to the surface of the perlite there can be no surface evaporation without adding more moisture to the perlite surface.   SGFC has this advantage with small holes below the perlite level and just above any standing water.   Air flow into the perlite at this high content moisture area would stimulate evaporation upward into the FC.   It would also increase FAE, free air exchange, which equals lower CO2 and we are back to short and stumpy.    1.  How to increase surface moisture content and thus allow for increased evaporation but with the least addition of free air exchange and least amount of bottom water buildup.   Interesting things to try and overcome.     

Moonphase

This morning I saw this.   Major changes in 3 days.   Boomer caps will probably start to open tonight.    Guessing I will fruit them tomorrow.    Insane pin sets on a couple of these cakes and some of the fruits look tortured or just plain mutant.   I'm feeling a little better about the outcome.   

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

• Like 2

Tigerlily

It is looking super dry and correct me if I'm wrong but the browning at the stems could mean verticillium? And co2 during fruiting isnt the best thing I thought. 

Vert would make them funky kinda like mutants. I had a vert infection on my last grow. Made my GTs grow hollow and strange. 

Moonphase
1 hour ago, Tigerlily said:

It is looking super dry and correct me if I'm wrong but the browning at the stems could mean verticillium? And co2 during fruiting isnt the best thing I thought. 

Vert would make them funky kinda like mutants. I had a vert infection on my last grow. Made my GTs grow hollow and strange. 

Sorry to hear that about your Vert problem.    Stipes on these are thick and meaty and the fruits will be heavy.   The browning you mention is from low Rh as is the "dryness" but in all fairness I took these pics before misting in the morning after 12 hours of being left alone.   I can't get the Rh over 75%.   Lucky I can get that with the dehumidifier on the A/C set at the highest percentage of 60% and without the A/C fruiting temps would be in the upper 80's which would be no bueno.   CO2 is a good thing IF you are getting too much FAE, free air exchange, which I was getting, and that caused them to be short and fat and dry and tortured looking, so I increased the CO2 by reducing the amount of time fanning.....increased CO2 is increased Rh.... also leaving them alone to do their thing (see rule 3 above) which allowed them to lengthen and "grow".    They are still small with the boomers being only as long as my finger.   Small is good.   Small is potent.   Small is quality.  Thick, meaty, and heavy is healthy.   They could have all been boomers that would have been nice but alas one can not have everything.   It's late for a grow anyway.   Fighting the elements.         

• Like 1

Mush Zombie
1 hour ago, Tigerlily said:

No. Brown does not mean verticillium. Cubensis has hollow stipe that is worse when temps are high (above 72* in the fruiting chamber)

how did you test for verticillium?

co2 is a good thing with cubes, yes. 

Moonphase

That tall boomer, middle pic above,  just broke its veil.   I thought maybe tonight.   I see another one that is going to pop as well since the veil is completely exposed.   The small ones won't be but a day behind if that.   I can't wait to eat some.   Right now I want to go eat them right off the cake.   :headbang: 

• Like 2

Tigerlily

But not for fruiting right? And that's what I read anyways

• Butthurt 1