• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Moonphase

Grow Log #4

Moonphase

Seriously what causes them to get ashy, darken, and kind of stall out?   

Sonshyn

Can’t say for certainty MP sorry . Did you seal your tubs ?  I looked through the pics but couldn’t get a good view 

Moonphase

Oh well.   I've only got 2 more weeks to mess around with this.   I think what I'll do is fruit them early since one cap just opened, maybe tomorrow, then rehydrate them and blot up what doesn't soak in and see what happens over the next 14 days.   I have to go out of town so after that this tek is either over or I try and put them in the frig for a couple of months..... probably a no bueno.    Oh well.   I've had some minor success on my 2nd bulk grow attempt.   That's better than another failure.   :nana:

IMG_3142.jpg

• Like 1

Moonphase
7 hours ago, Moonphase said:

Oh well.   I've only got 2 more weeks to mess around with this.   I think what I'll do is fruit them early since one cap just opened, maybe tomorrow, then rehydrate them and blot up what doesn't soak in and see what happens over the next 14 days.   I have to go out of town so after that this tek is either over or I try and put them in the frig for a couple of months..... probably a no bueno.    Oh well.   I've had some minor success on my 2nd bulk grow attempt.   That's better than another failure.   :nana:

IMG_3142.jpg

Picked these tonight.   Picking the little stubby ones is dirty work.   In fact.   All the shrooms are a lot dirtier than the ones from a cake.   I sure hope most of that comes off after they dry.   Aside from that they felt too wet and may be what was causing the little ones to stall out.  Not enough FAE?   They bruised very dark though which tells me they are going to be powerful.   We'll see.  Soaked the cake until it had a 1/2 inch standing water on it.   Hope that is enough to rehydrate it.   I don't know WTF I'm doing really.   

Mush Zombie

Too much FAE in the dub tub

When you see pins don’t mist unless the casing looks dry

• Thanks 1

Moonphase

Thank you MZ.   I was misting 3 x day even after pinning which required more fanning and too much FAE.  I'll correct that on the 2nd flush.   The 1/2 inch standing water to rehydrate is ok?       

Mush Zombie

I don’t think that’s what’s causing it. The lips on those tubs don’t form a good seal. You can put duct tape on the top and bottom lips until they seal correctly or use weather stripping. The fresh air is coming in all the time. That needs to be stopped if you want bigger mushrooms.

if you like small mushrooms then leave it

Moonphase
10 hours ago, Mush Zombie said:

I don’t think that’s what’s causing it. The lips on those tubs don’t form a good seal. You can put duct tape on the top and bottom lips until they seal correctly or use weather stripping. The fresh air is coming in all the time. That needs to be stopped if you want bigger mushrooms.

if you like small mushrooms then leave it

I actually have the 6 qt tubs, top off, sitting in a 60qt ziplock weather tight tub with 4" of wet perlite in it, top on and no holes.   Rh holding at 80% and the other tub with 3" perlite holding at 75-77%.    I've been keeping the casing pretty damp.   I have a tendency to over mist leaving them wet and having to fan for extended periods.    The liner has separated from the cake this morning from the standing water I left on it to re-hydrate it and is now sitting in water inside the liner.   I'll have to see if I can get the liner to re-stick to the mycelium brick once I pour off the excess water about 6pm at the 22 hour mark.   Maybe I left too much standing water on the surface at 1/2 inch?.....or is that normal?   What to do.   Funny trying to figure out new stuff and the mistakes we make not knowing if we have really messed up or not.   The mush were at most the length of my finger but they were dense as fuck and bruised really dark.   Had way too many little ones that didn't have a chance to grow as well.   And, the dirt.... compared to the clean fruits off cakes the tiny ones are a mess.   Maybe I should have just left them on and not picked them.   Hell I don't know.   Pointers appreciated?   They are dirty AF.    

El_Piraña

From my experience, once the liner comes off, it won’t re-stick to the sub. Don’t worry too much about that.

I sorta quit dunking tubs. MZ has mentioned that he mists heavily rather than dunking, so that’s what I started to do. I have no idea if I mist the same amount as MZ though, I just make sure it’s good and wet, but no standing water like you mentioned. The sub soaks it up. Either way, it won’t hurt to dunk, just a little more effort to pour out the excess water...and I guess the liner issue.

They don’t look too dirty. If there’s some casing stuck on the tops of the caps, just wipe em off when you’re harvesting.  I use a sharp exacto knife and cut the shrooms right at the base so as to not disturb the sub and casing much. Then, since I’m anal about some things, I scrape off any casing that is stuck to the bottom so they’re nice and clean before I dry them. I feel like it’s easier than trying to clean the dry fruits. 

• Like 2

Mush Zombie
2 hours ago, Moonphase said:

I actually have the 6 qt tubs, top off, sitting in a 60qt ziplock weather tight tub with 4" of wet perlite in it, top on and no holes.   Rh holding at 80% and the other tub with 3" perlite holding at 75-77%.    I've been keeping the casing pretty damp.   I have a tendency to over mist leaving them wet and having to fan for extended periods.    The liner has separated from the cake this morning from the standing water I left on it to re-hydrate it and is now sitting in water inside the liner.   I'll have to see if I can get the liner to re-stick to the mycelium brick once I pour off the excess water about 6pm at the 22 hour mark.   Maybe I left too much standing water on the surface at 1/2 inch?.....or is that normal?   What to do.   Funny trying to figure out new stuff and the mistakes we make not knowing if we have really messed up or not.   The mush were at most the length of my finger but they were dense as fuck and bruised really dark.   Had way too many little ones that didn't have a chance to grow as well.   And, the dirt.... compared to the clean fruits off cakes the tiny ones are a mess.   Maybe I should have just left them on and not picked them.   Hell I don't know.   Pointers appreciated?   They are dirty AF.    

I can’t really give you advice if you are treating cased bulk like pf tek except get them out of there, and follow my 6qt dub tub tek.

• Butthurt 1

Sonshyn
2 hours ago, El_Piraña said:

I sorta quit dunking tubs. MZ has mentioned that he mists heavily rather than dunking, so that’s what I started to do. I have no idea if I mist the same amount as MZ though, I just make sure it’s good and wet, but no standing water like you mentioned. The sub soaks it up. Either way, it won’t hurt to dunk, just a little more effort to pour out the excess water...and I guess the liner issue.

This answered some questions I’ve been pondering . Thx guys 

• Like 1

Moonphase
1 hour ago, Mush Zombie said:

I can’t really give you advice if you are treating cased bulk like pf tek except get them out of there, and follow my 6qt dub tub tek.

OH.   :facepalm:  Just thought it would be a more favorable environment.   It'll be an easy fix.   One trip to the store for some Gorilla Tape/double sided tape.   I will do as you advise Mr. Wizard.  Thank you.   :thumbs_up:

Sonshyn

I tried tape and liked my results with weather stripping better. Just my $.02

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moonphase

I'm going to need two more tubs and some weather stripping etc but for now this is the best I can do and seeing as they need evaporation it should be cool for a day or two.   The two tubs furthest behind are now dubbed.    I'll fruit the other tub tonight probably since the caps look like they are going to break veil before bed. I'll get two more tubs for tops tomorrow and get the other two tubs "out of there".    Looking forward to a better 2nd flush.  That'll free up some tubs and perlite for a larger PF tek grow this fall.   Upsides to everything is my Moto.   Thanks MZ.

IMG_3147.jpg

Moonphase

Pissed off at myself.   For mixing teks thinking I was giving shrooms a more favorable environment.   I fruited the tubs.   Must have picked a hundred aborts.   What a waste.    Hoping any 2nd flush will be more "fruitful".    

Sonshyn

It’s an up and down hobby. I’m not very patient but this teaches you lessons in patience and discipline. 

• Like 1

El_Piraña
16 hours ago, Moonphase said:

Pissed off at myself.   For mixing teks thinking I was giving shrooms a more favorable environment.   I fruited the tubs.   Must have picked a hundred aborts.   What a waste.    Hoping any 2nd flush will be more "fruitful".    

Don’t be hard on yourself, it’s all a learning experience. Eventually you’ll find your way to make it work.