• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Shroomy

Can I still Grow with 2 year old spore print ?

Shroomy

Im going to try and keep this short and to the point.

I received a aluminum foil spore print form a friendly person back in 2017 it was "cambo" spores, I tired to follow the PF tek but after many attempts I could not get it right, so I ended up giving up on the idea + I didnt have the time to do it properly.

Now Im back again and wanting to give this another go, I still have the jam jars, brown rice flower, bird seed, verm and perlite etc.

So my question is, Will a 2 year old spore print that has been kept in folded aluminum foil, with in a ziplock bag, with in a small cardboard box , will I still be able to use it? or will it not work as good anymore ?

My second question is, if it will still work despite the age, would this flour be ok to use, for the PF Tek ? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wholefood-Earth-Organic-Brown-Flour/dp/B01MDVF77A

Or would i be better using bird seed ?

MagicalCriminal

Possibly. There are millions of spores in a spore transfer. Only a couple need to be viable.

• Like 1

Moonphase

Interesting question.    One way to find out.   Give it a try.

• Like 1

Sonshyn

Brown rice flour will work, so yes if you have that And some verm that’s a good beginners tek to start with . 

Less steps to fruition with the BRF too. 

Gotta glove box or something ? Syringes And RO water ?

• Like 1

Pcitrueprefcet

Bird seed is for bulk.. brf is for cakes...cakes were fun.but I’m learning bulk is better...I stashed away some killer spore prints,and I’m hoping they last a long time.best of luck and I’m hoping to hear some positive follow up posts

• Like 1

Shroomy

Thanks for the advice ill give it a go, Just made the BRF gonna try noc it tomorrow.

Pcitrueprefcet

Good luck. We are here if you need us..

• Like 1

Shroomy

Does it matter much if I put a bit to much water in with the brf ?

When I did it at the time i tried to put more verm and flour in to balance it out will the substrate still be ok ?

Also I ended up leaving the jars out over night just to let them settle and also hopefully let them dry out a little.

MagicalCriminal

Too much water can cause tams or slow the growth.  Follow the Tek to the letter or it's difficult to help because you have changed parameters that could be important for questions or diagnosis.

If you haven't PCed it, you can leave it out for a bit. I doubt you will get much evap from a jar but it won't hurt unless you leave it long enough for it to sour or grow tams.