• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Crackeddoor

Overfilled ziplock bags with substrate and spawn , not sure if it will work

Crackeddoor

After mixing together a bunch of wbs jars with substrate,I underestimated how much it would make, I've been trying to do away with the big monotubs because it's hard to hide so I've been doing bags ,well I ran out of spawn bags so i put the remainder of my spawn in 4 one gallon ziplock bags that i cut a hole in and taped tyvlek to. The problem is the substrate is 4 inches thick in these one gallon bags .

I let them colonize for 12 days, during the spawn run the mycelium went nuts , it even grew through the tyvlek patch , its strong and healthy looking growing up the sides of the bags , and it's already pinning.

The thing is  I cant  possibly see how it could work with the bags being so full of substrate , I was just kind of rushed and didnt want to waste anything so I threw it in bags not really expecting it to work . The bags are so healthy looking I hate to throw them out , but I'm not sure what to do . Any suggestions? Two of my bags are just verm and the other two are cmc, coir ,and verm... any help would be greatly appreciated ... thank you 

tmp-cam-4634010470515964894.jpg

tmp-cam-5411562610076228474.jpg

tmp-cam-460267892957107088.jpg

tmp-cam-4097930552278943876.jpg

tmp-cam-4480888896664970919.jpg

tmp-cam-978831505190268969.jpg

tmp-cam-4731982784225726407.jpg

tmp-cam-5996315991604000575.jpg

tmp-cam-7197395039323613774.jpg

Crackeddoor

By the way ,the blue on the bags is just light reflecting

MagicalCriminal

If the grains have solidified, you can cut the bag away and grow like you would cakes. Or break it up and do a bulk tub. Think I would opt for cake because of all those pins.

• Like 1

Crackeddoor
4 hours ago, MagicalCriminal said:

If the grains have solidified, you can cut the bag away and grow like you would cakes. Or break it up and do a bulk tub. Think I would opt for cake because of all those pins.

Ok ,thanks ,yea I thought about breaking them up but was afraid of bruising or maybe trauma.... so i can just put them in a tote and let them go like a regular dubtub? I was surprised by how strong the mycelium grew and how it pinned already just during the 12 day spawn run , I'm fairly new at growing but I've never had anything so thoroughly colonize the way these bags did.... I was just curious as to why , does anyone know why or is it just coincidence?

MagicalCriminal

Bruising and trauma happen many times in a grow cycle. Less with cakes  , however the myc recovers quickly. Think about that first jar shake. You are tearing up the myc and thinning it to spread the myc further out from incubation site. 2 days later you have new growth everywhere. It is left undisturbed for fruiting so the fruiting cycle isn't stalled or stopped.

Why did it colonize completely? Because you got enough right to allow it to do what it's supposed to do. I have some bags that are too wet. I have 100% through most of the bag, but 1 corner is water logged and won't grow.  At the same time I have another bag at 100% and the block of myc is sitting in 1" of water. 2 bags with same problem. Yet 1 finished and the other didn't. Who knows why, but both are usable.

• Like 1

Crackeddoor
4 hours ago, MagicalCriminal said:

Bruising and trauma happen many times in a grow cycle. Less with cakes  , however the myc recovers quickly. Think about that first jar shake. You are tearing up the myc and thinning it to spread the myc further out from incubation site. 2 days later you have new growth everywhere. It is left undisturbed for fruiting so the fruiting cycle isn't stalled or stopped.

Why did it colonize completely? Because you got enough right to allow it to do what it's supposed to do. I have some bags that are too wet. I have 100% through most of the bag, but 1 corner is water logged and won't grow.  At the same time I have another bag at 100% and the block of myc is sitting in 1" of water. 2 bags with same problem. Yet 1 finished and the other didn't. Who knows why, but both are usable.

Thank you , makes sense, I've never had  a bag work out for me in the past ... it's funny how I just slopped these together and they're going nuts , it seems like everytime I screw up or forget something  or end up getting rushed,those are the times my mushrooms do the best

I'm going to leave them in the bags for a couple more days just to see what happens ....it seems everyday there are 10 or 15 more pins

MagicalCriminal

I think you will be fine.

You can give a man a fish or you can teach him to fish. Everything you learn help you answer future questions.

I just spawned a tub at 1:2 also(ran out of sub) Not too worried. Whether it succeeds or fails I will learn something. 😉

• Like 1

Crackeddoor

Ok so one of the gallon ziplock bags I overfilled had 100's of pins all over the bag smashed against the side ,so I decided to cut the bag open and put it in a tote , but while doing that I dropped the bag and alot of it crumbled apart , but I went ahead and put it all in a tote anyway.... has anybody ever tried anything like this ? I'd hate to let it all go to waste... it's a 1:1  spawn ,verm sub , like the rez , it went completely nuts in the bag , within 12 days of opening the jar it was already pinning....so I feel like it's got a strong run going.... does anyone have any suggestions or predictions?

tmp-cam-172655186126857792.jpg

tmp-cam-4832013936161478526.jpg

tmp-cam-2424104806014171873.jpg