• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Freshfish

My very first grow - finally it has begun!

Freshfish

Greetings.

I have been wanting to grow magic mushrooms for years, but I have only been actually planning to do so for a few months. After waiting for what now seems like an eternity I have finally taken the first step towards my first grow.

Today I made my first two spore syringes. I have inherited a total of 9 cubensis spore prints from a deceased relative, all of them were labeled except for one.

The unlabeled one is what I used to make the syringes. Therefore this grow will be especially exciting for me, since I have no idea what strain it actually is that I am growing.

I plan to prepare my first batch of grains tomorrow and PC it, then inoculate on sunday. My second batch will be prepared monday evening and inoculated on tuesday. I don't live in USA so I don't have actual mason jars in my country, so I use another type of canning jars. I can only fit 5 of those in my 16 qt Presto. So my first growing attempt will be a total of 10 jars. It was a bit disappointing when I first noticed it, but 5 jars each PC-cycle will suffice for now.

I decided to skip the PF-tek and go straight to grains my first grow, since grains is what I will be using in the future anyway. I was first planning on using rye berries, but for some reason that is weirdly expensive where I live. So instead I will use wheat berries.

Right now I don't have any pictures to upload. After all, all I have now are two syringes that are pretty much just water with a couple of dark spots in them. I will update with pictures as I progress and things start to get interesting.

• Like 1

El_Piraña

Welcome and good luck with your first grow!

If you are having a hard time finding rye or wheat, you can always default to using WBS, it’s always easy to find and is cheap.

• Thanks 2

Pcitrueprefcet

My 2 cents... research...a lot... be patient and don’t give up.. you got this ✌🏼 

• Like 2

Freshfish

A quick update: I did not PC any jars yesterday. I was promised that the RTV-silicone I ordered would arrive on friday, but it didn't (I live pretty much out in nowhere far from civilization so I have to order litterally all supplies unless I borrow a car and drive for hours). Therefore my grow is slightly delayed.

I don't dare trying to do this without SHIPs my first grow, so I decided to wait. I am quite sure that the silicone will arrive tomorrow, so I will instead do two PC-runs tomorrow evening/night and inoculate all the jars tuesday morning. So hopefully I can update the log with pictures on tuesday.

El_Piraña: Thanks for the advice. I bought 50 lbs wheat berries so it will last a while, but when it's gone I will definitely look into how cheap WBS I can get. I paid ~25 bucks for the wheat berries which was more than 10 times cheaper than rye berries for me, but maybe WBS would be even cheaper.

Pcitrueprefcet: Thanks. I have researched a lot already, I am quite confident that I understand the basics needed for getting started with cubensis cultivation. And I will keep researching and learning. But of course, while I feel confident about the basic knowledge needed, I realize that reading about it and actually doing it will be very different.

I won't give up no matter how many times I fail, and I do realize how important patience is in this hobby.

• Like 1

Freshfish

Alright! So..

I only did one PC run yesterday and inoculated it today, since I decided that I wanted to let it cool down in the PC overnight. I'll do the second batch later this week.

When hydrating I tried to follow Flawedprophecy's wheat grain spawn hydration writeup.

Before PC:

IMG_20190527_193913577.jpg.8d4562a91950df5c613825eb19d3da2b.jpg

Foil-covered jars put in PC:

IMG_20190527_195436213.jpg.2fe59629d64c6dd14946201f4d83b4ca.jpg

After PC and inoculation, I used 1cc in each jar:

IMG_20190528_092527631.jpg.af6ec64672b1b05ef644ac77f582fdb5.jpg

A few bursted ones in there.. and maybe a bit too wet after the inoc?

I put them on a shelf in room temperature. Now I just have to wait and see.

Mush Zombie

Did you shake them when you took them out of the P.C. and before you inoculated?

Freshfish

Oh shit, no... I completely forgot to do that actually. If I shake them now, will it make things better or just worse?

Moonphase

Don't shake now.    Let spores find their mates and colonize to 20%.   Then shake to distribute mycelium to all grains.   

• Thanks 1

Freshfish

Prepared five more jars today. Just removed them from the PC, this time I remembered to shake them. They are still pretty warm, so I will inoculate them in a couple of hours. I feel more confident in about the wheat hydration this time actually.

IMG_20190530_214322199.jpg.93c38a40e1a600958d174be52b142857.jpg

Freshfish

Things are really starting to happen in the first batch of jars now. Does this look alright?

IMG_20190606_213015145.jpg.e691bca365dd237dea404b753451de85.jpg

IMG_20190606_213050712.jpg.cfd7e515f746eb2e912579e04de814f5.jpg

IMG_20190606_213112984.jpg.200feb0ab58fcb01f0031358517d7c54.jpg

I'm also seeing something going on in one of the jars from the second batch.

IMG_20190606_213211121.jpg.ba5ff1c3859c95302c30e4f4e2eec22b.jpg

Freshfish

I'm sorry if this is just a bump (I am as bad at reading and understanding details of forum rules as I am stupid), so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to ask it here or if I'm supposed to make a new post to ask about it, but..

Those first three pictures of jars I sent in my last post, is that the mycelium I want or is it cobweb? I THINK it is mycelium, but since this is my first grow, I don't know what the heck is going on. Even though I was confident that I had read and learned a lot, it seems that I don't know much about growing shrooms ...yet.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

Freshfish

It's been some time since I took pics and updated, I've been really busy and actually pretty much forgot to.

The jars colonized nicely (as far as I could tell). I shook them at ~25%, and within a week after they were all fully colonized. After that I waited an additional two days.

I was going to spawn them to only coir (the exo terra brand). However, I made the sub way too wet at first, so I added some coarse verm to it to make it to field capacity.

After 6 days the sub was completely colonized. I waited 3 days after that, and then I added the 50/50 casing (PH-adjusted). I am not proud of how the casing layer turned out, but I figured I shouldn't mess with it more and instead just let it be.

I didn't add any trash bag liner to the tubs, because, well.. I'm simply forgetful. But I'm willing to deal with a bunch of side pins my first grow.

It has now been four days since I cased and put the tubs into fruiting conditions. I made four dub tubs (mist and fan, not zombie tubs). There is one quart of spawn in each of those. I also made two mini-monos, with three quarts of spawn in each. I micropore to dial in the mini-monos, since I am either allergic or simple oversensitive to polyfill (really weird, I know).. Since I found the tek for how to micropore dial monotubs on shroomery, I don't really trust it. So I mist and fan the mini-monos whenever I do it to the dub tubs. Four times a day.

I am far from experienced of course, but as far as I can tell, it's going quite well so far (except I failed to make both the substrate and casing layer even, as can be seen on one of the pics). The corner of one dub tub seemed quite dry, so I gave that corner some extra misting.

For lighting I use two 6500K LED-lightbulbs, on a 12/12 cycle.

I only upload pics of two of the dub tubs and one of the mini-monos, since they all look pretty damn similar.

(My browser seems to be bugging a bit atm, so I hope the picture-uploading works).

Freshfish

It seems there might have been some trouble with the actual pictures themselves, since I couldn't even view them outside of my virtual machine. I took new pictures, hopefully these will work fine.

As before, there are pictures of two of the dub tub-surfaces, a picture of one of the mini-mono surfaces, and one picture of one of the dub tubs. I don't think the dry spot I wrote about can be seen here though. You can still see in one of the pictures how uneven I turned out to make the substrates and casings in the dub tubs, though.

DSC00917.thumb.JPG.df9cddaec7a6df8881dea1b17063c06e.JPG

DSC00918.thumb.JPG.ee79fb336a65802c7f894294b7010759.JPG

DSC00919.thumb.JPG.5bee782dfd5caa71388f1bb70d44852b.JPG

DSC00922.thumb.JPG.b58cfaaeabf7b516fe94a967bc798b81.JPG

Freshfish
Posted (edited)

Pins have now appeared in two of the dub tubs! Several pins on the sides and some pins on the surfaces. I can also clearly see some primordia in the other dub tubs and in the mini-monos.

(I did not take any picture of any of the primordia yet).

DSC00924.thumb.JPG.04fdaca2bfbbe3235ebdddde8fe72ba0.JPG

DSC00928.thumb.JPG.6b03efefb733380e0d88ca7f65238924.JPG

Edited by Freshfish
Added information

MagicalCriminal

Gratz. Looks good.

Chuggychow

Awesome job! Next time remember to use a trash bag as a liner in your tubs to help prevent side pins.

Freshfish

Thanks guys.

I think it's going pretty well. I harvested two dub tubs today.

Tub 1:

DSC00967.thumb.JPG.87f474733648ad169d545ba7248b7453.JPG

DSC00968.thumb.JPG.0fb6a2bb8e0b643f8daa127326cd490f.JPG

Tub 2:

DSC00971.thumb.JPG.2080745b61a3ca84b263acd622ab242b.JPG

DSC00975.thumb.JPG.2f502f2449300dd1ff381f8bcfbc9d8c.JPG

194 grams fresh.

DSC00976.thumb.JPG.4bf3d79253bcb70a8201bdaede27721b.JPG

I also think my two mini monos look quite promising:

DSC00977.thumb.JPG.cd17a93d20a1338c7da01e7453f3ae11.JPG

DSC00978.thumb.JPG.ae1d2b7eb6dc9e2211c5b88d3bba9003.JPG