• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

TOS420

2nd success, Huatula

TOS420

Thought you guys would like to see that as always with much love 😄

IMG_20190601_112039.jpg

Huatula this time, they're looking good so far!

• Like 1

DamionDeamon

black and white art GIF

• Thanks 1

SquidHead

Huautla were always one of my favorites! 

• Like 2

TOS420

Yeah man, could you maybe answer this for me?

I have another thread, if you could tell me what's going on with this orange stuff it would be cool. 

IMG_20190605_010402.jpg

You seen this before?

You seen this before? It kinda stalled shit I think they will keep pinning again but should I worry about that especially?

SquidHead

Well it definitely doesn't look happy. 😟

I don't know what the orange stuff is. If you have other grows going...I would just toss that into the compost heap, so you don't jeopardize other projects. 

Was that a brand new tub or a used tub when you started? 

TOS420

Well I already know it's mold, but the myc is winning and still pinning, I'm just more wondering as far as my health.

I'm not 100% on the type but it's orange furry hyphae, it even had shrooms growing out of it but they aborted and I didn't eat the ones that were direclty touching it..

Idk, I don't wanna throw out the whole bin cuz it's pretty much the only active one I have right now

Idk, I don't wanna throw out the whole bin cuz it's pretty much the only active one I have right now

TOS420

TOS420

IMG_20190606_022118.jpg

Better picture

BlackSpray_
52 minutes ago, TOS420 said:

IMG_20190606_022118.jpg

Better picture

Looks like Mac n cheese 😟

• Butthurt 1

El_Piraña

Man just toss that out!  Not worth taking chances.

• Like 2

Moonphase

You could try excising it out and try to keep fruiting the rest.   

• Like 1

TOS420

Ok, heard

Mush Zombie

Looks like dog vomit a type of slime mold 

• Like 1

Moonphase

Aspergillus maybe.   Some are yellow.

http://en.psilosophy.info/what_are_common_contaminants_of_the_mushroom_culture.html

• Like 1

TOS420

I thought it was dog vomit mold too, which is said to be relatively harmless?

But I think I'm gonna take Moonphase's advice and try to excise it, ive saved tubs like that in the past.

Thanks as always guys 🥰

TOS420

Should I drain the water and "dunk" it again?

IMG_20190606_144839.jpg

I'm gonna quarantine to be safe, but I. Reasonable sure she will fruit up, it smells good too if that helps. 

TOS420

I also forgot to mention I had sprayed some peroxide while I was researching, and also while I waited for advice. I have done this with cobweb mold so I knew it wouldnt kill my myc, and I think it may have helped to prevent further issues in the meantime.

DamionDeamon

I had that same mold on a tub of mine and I tossed it I don't trust contams.

• Thanks 1

Mush Zombie
17 hours ago, TOS420 said:

I also forgot to mention I had sprayed some peroxide while I was researching, and also while I waited for advice. I have done this with cobweb mold so I knew it wouldnt kill my myc, and I think it may have helped to prevent further issues in the meantime.

Peroxide has no place in mushroom cultivation. It doesn’t do anything. You’re just wasting good teeth whitener.

• Thanks 1

TOS420

Well that's good to know, thanks. I'm relatively new to this so I wasn't sure..  I had used peroxide on cobweb mold in a bin I had in the past and it seemed to have helped, and since I noticed it late at night and had to wait for advice I just did that.. 

So if it wasn't the peroxide that got rid of the cobweb mold, what did? Maybe just increasing FAE?

Mush Zombie

Cobweb is not mold, it is mildew. Weird that people call it mold for some reason, right? Peroxide will not kill mildew. Mold and mushrooms both produce mycelium. If it killed mycelium it would kill everything growing in the tub.

if you can get 25% hydrogen peroxide it can and will kill stuff, as well as eat your skin off of your body. 3% peroxide, which is what is available at the drug store doesn’t kill anything. Bacteria etc can live in that no problem.

• Thanks 1

TOS420

Okay, yes I did understand that peroxide would not kill the mold, and also that mold and mushrooms are both fungus and both produce mycelium. But I had heard that 3% peroxide could kill spores without damaging mycelium, therefore not killing either organism but stalling development 

But since you're saying that the peroxide didn't get rid of the "cobweb mold" or now as you have taught me it's actually "cobweb mildew" then what could have made that mildew stop growing? 

And I did also increase FAE at the time, do you think then it's most likely the increase in FAE that actually killed the mildew? Or made it no longer an issue?

Or the cube myc just defeated it or how does that work?

Or are you just saying that mildew is relatively harmless compared to mold?

I'm also starting an outdoor area to put future questionable stuff out where it may still be able to become useful. Is this a good practice in your opinion?

And what I mean by that is Im planning to put anything that might Tam up out in compost from lawn clippings in my garden outside

TOS420

@SquidHead sorry im just learning how to use this site but yeah it was a brand new tub why do you ask?

Also @Mush Zombie, just a thought is it possible that over-oxidizing mold spores could kill them? Just as it would kill you to breathe 100% oxygen for too long? But as they are only unicellular organisms maybe they can't take that for as long.... See what I'm saying?

Because as they don't have lungs, and only a small semi-permeable membrane, adding H2O2 would increase the amount of oxygen each spore takes in right? 

TOS420

Oxygen after all is highly poisonous, it's the catalyst to the aging process of human beings

And mushrooms are just like us right? They breathe in O2 and breathe out CO2, contrary to plants which do the opposite.

they're lungs are kind of like stomachs, and they're stomachs are kind of like lungs, as they(mycelium) reach outside themselves with enzymes to collect energy, while they're stomachs are more like lungs, needing to be in direct contact with CO2... 

TOS420

And we are pinning again, @Moonphase thanks bro!

IMG_20190608_113312.jpg

Really didn't want to lose these guys.