Laminar Flow Work Station Wish List

Moonphase

General Question for those "science nerds" out there.   If there are any.   If you had some extra money lying around what would be your choice for a laminar flow hood work station to buy brand new.   IF you had the money.   Or, a Christmas Wish List for Santa.    Let's set a top price range of $1,000.    Dimensions, you would want 24" at least right?   Brand names are welcome.   What's out there on the market?   

MagicalCriminal

I looked at pre-made flow hoods. In the range of 1000 to $1,500 the only thing I can find we're Chinese vertical hoods. The biggest problem was all the ones that I looked at, even though they help claims of 99.999 percent and laminar Flow, the filters are only 3 in thick. I am unsure if they can truly achieve laminar flow. So I went out and bought all the parts to build my own 24 x 48. I've got about $750 in the parts. Now I just need to find time to put it together.

Moonphase
27 minutes ago, MagicalCriminal said:

I looked at pre-made flow hoods. In the range of 1000 to $1,500 the only thing I can find we're Chinese vertical hoods. The biggest problem was all the ones that I looked at, even though they help claims of 99.999 percent and laminar Flow, the filters are only 3 in thick. I am unsure if they can truly achieve laminar flow. So I went out and bought all the parts to build my own 24 x 48. I've got about $750 in the parts. Now I just need to find time to put it together.

If there is a drawing, plan, blue print including measurements feel free to share those links or attachments.   There are several do it yourself teks in the forums Glove Boxes and Flow Hoods.   I just don't have the tools or frankly the skills in my hands to do a proper job of it.   Thus.... the wish list search inquiry.      

• Like 1
MagicalCriminal

Go to freshcap for plans and parts list. He even has two or three videos documenting the build. The only difference is he is using a filter similar to the one MZ uses. I opted for the deeper filters which are in the parts list. The only change in the build is to make the entire cabinet 6 in deeperand move the stop blocks for the filter back 6 in.

His design is for a horizontal flow Hood. I decided to cut the fan hole in the back and turn it facing downward to make a vertical flow Hood using an IKEA style desk as the base or table top.

I do have plans with the changed dimensions that I made up but I'm wary of sharing them until I do the build and make sure all dimensions are correct 

Edited by MagicalCriminal
  • Like 1
MagicalCriminal

@MoonphaseI see Squidhead is back. He was offering flowhood kits. Everything precut, just needing assembly.  Something you may wish to investigate.

• Like 1

Ok, so I'm resonably happy with my surgical work here, I'll keep you updated on this tub's future, I'm gonna "keep it separated" haha but SMELL WISE even through my mask it smells like straight shroomness!

IMG_20190606_144839.jpg

Moonphase

Could it just be a whole shit load of metabolites?   It'll be interesting to see what happens.   

• Like 1