• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Pcitrueprefcet

Alcohol extraction or lemon extraction for mushbeer

Pcitrueprefcet

So I’ve posted about this idea and got some feedback a while ago..I’m about ready for this experiment cause i have plenty of mush to play with.. recently got a home brew kit.. 8.5 quart fermentation “barrel” , and twelve 25 oz bottles for bottling... it’s just an American light beer kit,( would probably be better as a wheat ale or Hefeweizen), but this is what I got from a thrift store for 8$ brand new...been doing research on when to add lemon zest.. 2 weeks fermentation( give or take), for primary fermentation... then add zest, fruit ,spices, etc before bottling and adding sugars or carbonation tablets for fizz.. then 14-21 day carbonation run...now here’s my question- I’ve read lemon juice brings out the good stuff in mushies to make a great tea, which I’ve had success with in the past... when adding FRESH lemon zest, soak in high grain alcohol to kill off germs and what not.. I’ve also briefly read up on mushroom alcohol extraction a little for cotg.so is it alright to soak cracker dry mushroom powder in alcohol and lemon juice for a one day extraction before adding everything from the soak straight to sterile booze before bottling... will the alcohol kill “the goods” in the shroomies.? . Any insight at all would be appreciated.. I know ,I know this might not be for everybody, but I figured it’d be a neat experiment.. maybe like 7 grams mushrooms and a lemon or two worth of zest for three or four 25 oz bottles.. 

MagicalCriminal

I am not a  fan of the flavor of mush, but am a very successful home brewer. I can not imagine destroying the flavor of the beer you spent valuable time making or trying to choke down 25 oz of mush flavor that invades every part of your mouth. Luckily taste is objective. I have no answers for the mixing experiment, but if you have any questions on the brewing, I can help. 2 things right off the bat. Since you got the kit from a thrift store, the yeast is probably old, weak or dead. Replace it with 2 packets of American Ale yeast from a brew store or mail order it. You don't need 2 but the second will cause a faster fermentation giving less chance for the beer to tam. The other thing, to get your beer clear after fermentation, put the entire fermenter in the fridge for 2-3 days. Cold crashing causes the yeast to drop and cake up on the bottom making it very easy to siphon the clear beer out.

• Like 1

Pcitrueprefcet
13 hours ago, MagicalCriminal said:

I am not a  fan of the flavor of mush, but am a very successful home brewer. I can not imagine destroying the flavor of the beer you spent valuable time making or trying to choke down 25 oz of mush flavor that invades every part of your mouth. Luckily taste is objective. I have no answers for the mixing experiment, but if you have any questions on the brewing, I can help. 2 things right off the bat. Since you got the kit from a thrift store, the yeast is probably old, weak or dead. Replace it with 2 packets of American Ale yeast from a brew store or mail order it. You don't need 2 but the second will cause a faster fermentation giving less chance for the beer to tam. The other thing, to get your beer clear after fermentation, put the entire fermenter in the fridge for 2-3 days. Cold crashing causes the yeast to drop and cake up on the bottom making it very easy to siphon the clear beer out.

Cool dude.. I know I’ll be reaching out to you in the future..and thanks for the words of advice..so, if I double up on yeast the primary fermentation will be faster? Also the cold crashing would be perfect to syphon out the yeast and mushie mush , and that would be done right before bottling for carbonation ?I’ve also reconnected with an old bud that works in a brewery and ran this idea by him.. he was saying him and his friend were making bud beer.. now that sounds delicious..

im Thinking of maybe a test run with zest, mush and alcohol, strained and squeezed a few times after a certain amount of time just to see if the alcohol/zest mixture  absorbs and transfers the “goods”.. maybe if I could do it without the the mush floating in the beer it might be easier to get down. And spike the alcohol content of the brew

MagicalCriminal

Doubling the yeast causes faster fermentation, exponentially. I used 1qt yeast in 6 gallons and fermentation was complete in 48 hours. Almost no time for a few ninja to get a foothold.

Once you cold crash you want to siphon the beer out. The yeast will be packed up and will stay in fermenter if you don't stick the siphon into the cake. Just get the tip close to the cake. The mush should fall to the bottom also because they will be soaking for about a week. 4 day ferment and 2-3 day cold crash.

As for when to add the mush, assuming a 60 min boil, I would add right before it came off the heat. 2 gallon will have a bit of carry over heat. If you add them sooner you risk denaturing the goods.

Don't think a test run is needed. Beer is a mix of alcohol and water. Both are needed to extract psilocybin and psilocin. So I think you will pull them. 

• Thanks 1