• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

mushlove

Tub contaminated. Did pooling water cause it?

mushlove

Hey, one of my tubs recently contaminated. I'm just trying to figure out why so I can learn and maybe change some things in the future. Used mush zombie's hpoo monotub tek. Followed it to a T but still lost the tub. My theory is this. After the 10 day sub colonization period, when I opened it up to case and fruit, the top of the substrate had some major water pooling going on. I noticed this before with the penis envy strain specifically, it solidifies on the surface of the substrate way more than other strains and tends to pool water more than normal. I had to mop up quite a bit with paper towels before applying the casing, using at least 6 paper towels to get it all. What i noticed though, was that there was a spot where a deeper than normal pool had formed and it looked like myclium couldnt grow where it was pooled underneath so there was a spot about 4 inches across that didnt colonize as well as the rest of the sub. After I mopped up i cased and fruited and 2 days later, directly over where that spot was, was where the contamination that wound up reaching through the casing came up. I thought it was mycelium poking through at first but it started to turn gray and green. Do you think the unusual amount of water pooling caused the contamination or maybe it came from somewhere else? If it was the pooling water, how would I prevent this in the future? any input would be appreciated, thank you!

MagicalCriminal

My volcano pooled a bit. I just cased it and didn't have to spray as much the first time.  It fruited just fine.

It's possible the UN colonized part tammed from removing the water or from casing.

A little side info you might find useful. On my first set of grain bags, I used way too much water, extra 1/2 qt of water for 2 qt of grain. Results were it still colonized and was under water when it finished but it took almost 2 weeks longer to do so. I mixed that water right in with the sub too.

mushlove

yeah i might be using too much water in the substrate. I had to use way more water than what the tek called for to get to field capacity. like close to double than what it asked for. it was nowhere near field capacity with the amount of water the tek calls for. i attributed it to maybe having finer verm than i should of had. from what i understand though i got it to perfect field capacity. when id squeeze a handful of it hard, no water would drip out but some water would form at my knuckles then get sucked back in when i released. who knows, maybe the spawn i used was contammed but i smelled every jar and they all smelled good and had no visual indicators of contamination and i know there wasn't too much water in my spawn because ive used the same exact method with great success for along time. the sub was also very level and even. one thing that i tried that was recommended by someone in the comments for the tek that mush zombie said would be fine is just loosely laying the black trash bag liner over the substrate instead of doing the foil with holes poked in them with micropore tape. maybe it just couldnt breathe or something, but i made sure to leave spaces for some air to release. i guess i try the foil on my next one. Im fruiting another tub today but it also had a water pooling issue but doesnt seem to have a big uncolonized part, just smaller ones that i cut out so we'll see.

Mush Zombie

Don’t use fine verm with this tek. It just turns to mud. The cmc is very heavy. You have to use coarse grade or large medium grade. If you have to strain the dust out with a strainer 

Sonshyn

Straining Is something I’ve thought about doing with those fine bits . 

So this sub was just too loaded with water ? 

Mush Zombie

Yes. It contaminated before the first flush. It COULD be because one of the grain spawn jars was contaminated, but I’d be willing to bet it’s because the mycelium was not able to fully run the substrate, because of incorrect vermiculite. And too wet on top of that.

• Like 1

Sonshyn

Got it 

mushlove

yeah, i did get horticulture coarse vermiculite but i did notice some sandy consistency to parts of it, might have needed to strain it. i have another bin going here that hasnt contammed yet so hopefully it is okay and im not jinxing it. I've had to mop up some water from the surface after about 5 days in fruiting conditions because in some areas there seemed to have minor pooling happening. about 1-2 inches across in the center of the substrate where more mycelium seems to be poking through the substrate, but only in a couple. the rest of the sub has small beads of water. what should i do about this pooling, loosen polyfil? how wet exactly should the surface be?