• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Sweetvince

I recently purchased a 5lb all in one spawn bag. 2 lbs rye berry, 3 lbs compost. I am 3 weeks in and about 73% colonized. The 2 mixtures are in separate layers from one another.compost on top. The mycelium has colonized half and half both materials with the corners untouched so far. How do I go about fruiting once its fully colonized? I would like to bulk case, but I'm not sure if you are sapose to do that with a all in one bag. Will adding casing mix throw anything off? If its ok to do then how much casing mix do I ad, just enough for 4in in my container? Or is the bag ment for invetro?

Moonphase

Cubensis do not need a casing.   However.   If the RH is going go be below 80% a casing or covering in coarse vermiculite helps to keep the mycelium from stressing.   

MagicalCriminal

Never done an all in one bag. So take this for what it cost. You need 10 days beyond 100% colonization including the corners or the chance of tamming goes up. Mix those layers thoroughly in the bag. Then let it sit until 100% plus 10 days. At that time you can case to maintain cake moisture and begin mist and fan to initiate pinning. 

Sonshyn

I used to do the mail order bags and never used a casing . Had pretty good results . I’d get about 3+ oz from a bag .

However my bags were separate . I had a bag of rye and a bag of sterilized poo. 

Can you post a pic plz ? 

Sweetvince

28 days since innoc. It did not stay separate and grew in a way not intended. I feel at 30 days I should mix. But not sure since it grew the way it did. The intended way is for the grain only to colonize. Then mix. A lot of moisture in the bag.

0612191830.jpg

0612191830a.jpg

0612191830b.jpg

0612191830c.jpg

Sonshyn

Wow that is different . Never had an issue quite like that . Hopefully it’ll colonize all of that grain soon . Then you might be able to shake everything up . 

Those bags do keep a lot of moisture in that’s for sure . Casing was a new thing for me when I moved away from bags to a more DIY mycology . 

Sweetvince

I've grown 2xs prior to this, about 6 years ago both fails. 1 pre sterile bag, grain only, bad spores.2nd brf cakes, again no growth fail. This is my 3rd attempt and these bags were appealing so I went with it. I will do 2 separate bags next time so this issue can't happen. I used 5cc. Liquid spore solution. B+.Its been doubling in growth every week. My geuss its collinated the middle and working its way out. The side opposite the patch is impressive almost colonized the whole side. Its trying to spread across the grains on the side and meet. Once that happens ill do my thing. How it's choosing to grow is telling me it may need 35 -40 days to colonize. Its a fast strain but it has 5lbs it has to work threw.

Mush Zombie
23 hours ago, Moonphase said:

Cubensis do not need a casing.   However.   If the RH is going go be below 80% a casing or covering in coarse vermiculite helps to keep the mycelium from stressing.   

A casing is required if RH will be below 90%

• Thanks 1

Sweetvince

Thanks for the help. Ill keep you all posted, I try to check on it every Wednesday.

• Like 1

Robotard

Or change your tek. Let a dub tub become your bff!😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MagicalCriminal

Honestly I would shake it. Most of us are doing bulk grows so we have to open the bags to mix risking Tam. You do not until fruiting. However it could take forever or stall while trying to get in the corners without a helpful shake. Before you cut that bag open you definitely want 100%.

Sonshyn

2 hours ago, Sweetvince said:

Thanks for the help. Ill keep you all posted, I try to check on it every Wednesday.

Wait until next Wednesday before you do anything please . Post a pic then . 

Sweetvince

Ok, ill wait until next Wednesday and check on it. It grows fast, my guess it will be on the untouched grain. I realised its growing like this because I diddnt shake after innoc.I diddnt want to mix the grain and compost. Its a solid brick. I made sure it could breath but other then that I diddnt mess with it to much. I put 2.5 cc in the middle then backed out halfway and shot 2.5cc to the left of the injection patch.  

Robotard

Let her roll, dude! Do evrything you can to keep it alive. I threw out the idea of a dub tub, not because im the President, but im also a member.

I read so many times whers ppl try so hard and follow everything to a "T". But i swear that more oft than not, i hear the words "failure" and "contamination" fall like raindrops on a tin roof.

You can control the environment to your needs with hardly any effort. You may have to become more laborious and start doing jars... But the payoff is proven imo

• Thanks 1