• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Tigerlily

Fruiting Puerto Ricans Second Grow

Tigerlily

Ok here is my Puerto Rican mono. Just put it into fruiting my Penis envy mono is looking good and will go into fruiting soon. I'll be spawning another batch of Golden Teachers to substrate in a few days and I have 2 grain bags going of PR and 2 Nepal Chitwans. So I keep posting pics as it comes along

20190616_204420.jpg

20190616_204434.jpg

20190616_204445.jpg

• Like 2

Moonphase

You going to case those?   🤓

• Like 1

Tigerlily
4 minutes ago, Moonphase said:

You going to case those?   🤓

I was debating if I should or not... I have the same strains colonizing rn so maybe not case this batch and case the other to see which does better.. what do you think ? I put my penis envy into fruiting today as well. Should I case that mono?

Moonphase

I've heard it said that cubensis do not need a casing.   But, if RH is going to be below 85-90% a casing would keep it from drying out and be beneficial to primordia formation.    MZ would know.   He'l like..... the wizard.

• Like 1

Tigerlily

Same but some say certain types need a casing. I'll just do one batch with and one without see how it goes. . Yeah MZ is definitely a Master Jedi when it comes to this stuff. There hasn't been one question he couldn't answer lol

• Like 1

Mush Zombie

Anything below 90% Rh needs to be cased with cubes. It does not matter what strain it is. 

And thank you. 

• Like 1

Tigerlily

So as long as my humidity is up I shouldnt need a casing? As far as casing material what's the best to use as opposed to the easiest?

Chuggychow

Copied from dubtub tek.

50/50+ CASING
THINGS YOU NEED:

SPHAGNUM PEAT MOSS
COARSE VERMICULITE
HYDRATED LIME (PICKLING LIME)
CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS (chunky kind) ((optional))

I used this on my first grow and it was really easy.  I accidentally used the wrong type of vermiculite but still had good results, but use the course vermiculite if you can. I believe the oyster shell will allow for more flushes so I would suggest adding it but it’s not necessary.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tigerlily

Awesome thanks. I should be able to get most of this stuff from the garden department

Moonphase

And.... rinse those oyster shells until the water pours off clean.   They are dirty dirty dirty.   😎

• Haha 1

Tigerlily

Ooo thanks for the tip, I bet they are Haha 

Tigerlily

Ok so finally got pins going in my PR tote. MY penis envy tote, however, is still not pinning although it has had tiny white dots all over it for days now. My GT tote should pin soon. I'll post pics once they're going good and strong. My PR tote has some yellowing of the surface mycelium and some amber yellow liquid but nothing too rough. But I'm wondering what's causing it and why it is the first to show pins.

MagicalCriminal

The yellow liquid is mycelium metabolites. AKA myc piss. Some people bother with it, I never did. I haven't seen any problems due to it.

Penis envy is slow to pin if I remember correctly. If you're worried about all the flashes harvesting at the same time I would start that one two weeks early.

Tigerlily

Thank you for the info so what caused the metabolites? 

MagicalCriminal

It's a natural process of growth. However I have noticed it more on wet grows. Most of mine have been wet. You can blot it up. I just cased right over the top.

• Thanks 1

Tigerlily

Oky doky good to know 

MagicalCriminal

Makes sense now why I saw it on wet grows. 

Tigerlily
36 minutes ago, El_Piraña said:

Metabolites are caused when the mycelium is under stress, so it shouldn’t be a normal part of your grow. The only time I’ve ever seen it on my grows is when something is wrong....incubation temp getting too high or contamination. Most of the time you should not see it, or at least use it as an opportunity to try to figure out how to improve the health and conditions of your grow.

This makes more sense because it's only on one of my totes. No contams visibly present right now and healthy pin cluster so far so I'm guessing I need to keep the temp down

El_Piraña
38 minutes ago, Tigerlily said:

This makes more sense because it's only on one of my totes. No contams visibly present right now and healthy pin cluster so far so I'm guessing I need to keep the temp down

I guess I used high temp and contamination as the two likely causes that I have personally experienced, but there could be other causes....maybe too much FAE for example. So I don’t want to guide you in a way that will preclude you from looking at all possibilities.

what was the temperature? If the tub was incubating alongside the others, then I would wonder why those don’t have the same problem if it is temperature related?

Tigerlily

Hmmm yes they've been incubating in the same conditions 78 and 82 

El_Piraña
1 hour ago, Tigerlily said:

Hmmm yes they've been incubating in the same conditions 78 and 82 

82 is a bit too high, especially for a mono tub. There is heat generated in the substrate while the mycelium is growing, this increases the substrate’s temperature higher than the ambient temperature of your incubation area. I try to keep my monotubs incubating closer to 76-78 deg to be conservative, then drop the temp of course for fruiting.

Tigerlily

Ok thank you. I finally got a few pins on my Puerto Rican but my PE is still not pinning after 2 weeks. Tons of little white dots but no pins. I've misted but that seems to matte down the myc. I honestly dont know what I'm doing wrong. 

Mush Zombie

Takes about 3 weeks for PE to pin 

Tigerlily

Heres my Puerto Ricans and the PE updates. The PE is not pinning. The Puerto Ricans are growing only a few. What am I doing wrong here? Ive made sure they were colonized and I've misted and fanned them 3x daily. I keep the temp between 76 and 80 and the PE sub seems dried out. I misted the heck out of it today and placed it in some indirect sunlight. Hope it helps

20190706_172206.jpg

20190706_172222.jpg

20190706_172324.jpg

20190706_172415.jpg

20190706_172528.jpg