• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

DrunkenDruid

Hey! First time growing + Some noob questions

DrunkenDruid

Hey there guys, greetings from Ireland! 

So I'm new to growing shrooms and have recently purchased a grow kit from online and in the past few days I've been doing more and more research and reading.Before my kit has even pinned I've ordered all the supplies I need to clone the shrooms I eventually (hopefully) get from the kit, make some spawn and following Mush Zombies tutorial on making a monotub. Really looking forward to doing it!

There's a lot of information online about what to do with regards to certain teks, but I can't seem to find a lot about getting the best results from a grow kit/grow bag set up. It came with a PDF which says to mist it twice daily and that's pretty much all the instructions for the growing process 😁

I have been misting, but I've a feeling I may be over or under misting and I want this first grow to go decently and not to screw up!

Here's some pictures of the setup 

IMG_20190622_161859.jpg.e6c5c36bdb7a55a2110617dbb36e7c73.jpg

IMG_20190622_161932.jpg.a8859d71fcf2641a319b87251ef91a46.jpg

I've got a little heating mat underneath the box that's heating at 23 degrees but I reckon inside the box would be much lower. There's a small pool of water you can see between the box and the bag.

Here's a picture of the top, there's mycelium all around the inside but theres just a little bit poking out the top, think there's a small casing layer here.

IMG_20190622_162231.jpg.1692950ea93ec5e2c931c52e09c48157.jpg

How would I know here that there's too much moisture since I can't really see much mycelium coming up through the top? And is misting the sides of the bag twice per day all I really need to do? 

And any recommendations/tips are much welcome! 🙂

Chuggychow

Not positive but I believe you should soak it overnight in water, in the morning empty it out the excess water and move onto fruiting right in the bag which would be misting and fanning a couple times per day. 

You could potentially add a 2nd tub on top and do a dubtub tek, but probably would not have enough height. 

Im sure others who have more knowledge can provide you some help. 

Moonphase
On 6/22/2019 at 10:50 AM, DrunkenDruid said:

Hey there guys, greetings from Ireland! 

So I'm new to growing shrooms and have recently purchased a grow kit from online and in the past few days I've been doing more and more research and reading.Before my kit has even pinned I've ordered all the supplies I need to clone the shrooms I eventually (hopefully) get from the kit, make some spawn and following Mush Zombies tutorial on making a monotub. Really looking forward to doing it!

There's a lot of information online about what to do with regards to certain teks, but I can't seem to find a lot about getting the best results from a grow kit/grow bag set up. It came with a PDF which says to mist it twice daily and that's pretty much all the instructions for the growing process 😁

I have been misting, but I've a feeling I may be over or under misting and I want this first grow to go decently and not to screw up!

Here's some pictures of the setup 

IMG_20190622_161859.jpg.e6c5c36bdb7a55a2110617dbb36e7c73.jpg

IMG_20190622_161932.jpg.a8859d71fcf2641a319b87251ef91a46.jpg

I've got a little heating mat underneath the box that's heating at 23 degrees but I reckon inside the box would be much lower. There's a small pool of water you can see between the box and the bag.

Here's a picture of the top, there's mycelium all around the inside but theres just a little bit poking out the top, think there's a small casing layer here.

IMG_20190622_162231.jpg.1692950ea93ec5e2c931c52e09c48157.jpg

How would I know here that there's too much moisture since I can't really see much mycelium coming up through the top? And is misting the sides of the bag twice per day all I really need to do? 

And any recommendations/tips are much welcome! 🙂

From what I've read about them you are correct.   Fan and mist sides of bag then reseal.   After the first flush you rehydrate the mycelium brick.   Not much guidance on here for kits.   This is a do it all yourself site.   Good luck though.

MagicalCriminal

Probably be better if you put it in a cardboard box with the heater in the box. Direct heat is for cooking.

• Like 1

DrunkenDruid

Thanks for your wisdom guys.

I believe this tub was presoaked, but I haven't been fanning a lot! There was a tiny amount of standing water at the bottom in one of the corners, previously I had been misting whenever I saw that there were no droplets on top of the mycelium but if there's a small amount of standing water at the bottom I believe the mycelium may have been too wet.

It was only a few drips but it's standing water nonetheless, I've emptied this out, put the grow box into a cardboard box with the heater next to it and wrapped the bottom of the grow box with some clothing so that light won't get in the sides.

Going to take extra care now to make sure when I mist that all of it goes to the sides of the plastic bag as beforehand I was letting some mist fall directly into the box.

In other news my supplies have been steadily arriving, I got petri dishes and stuff for making agar today, excited to start a tub in a few weeks!

Chuggychow
On 6/22/2019 at 8:50 AM, DrunkenDruid said:

I think you are over misting. Mist a couple times on the side of bag and on the substrate, then immediately fan for a few minutes with a piece of cardboard or whatever works to evaporate the surface of the sub. Do this 3 to 5 times a day. 

I've got a little heating mat underneath the box that's heating at 23 degrees but I reckon inside the box would be much lower. There's a small pool of water you can see between the box and the bag

I would get rid of the mat and heater. Just keep your temp in the room around 68 F to 73 F which should be room temperature.

With a clean hand or fingers You can touch it gently to feel the moisture try not to to avoid contamination though. 

DrunkenDruid
7 hours ago, Chuggychow said:

I think you are over misting. Mist a couple times on the side of bag and on the substrate, then immediately fan for a few minutes with a piece of cardboard or whatever works to evaporate the surface of the sub. Do this 3 to 5 times a day. 

I would get rid of the mat and heater. Just keep your temp in the room around 68 F to 73 F which should be room temperature.

With a clean hand or fingers You can touch it gently to feel the moisture try not to to avoid contamination though. 

I had touched the thin casing layer a few days ago and it was pretty damp, now it seems to be pretty dry, however the casing layer is not fully colonised and whatever mycelium is there looks mostly the same as it did a week ago, no doubt my lack of FAE and over misting has slowed the process a bit.

I'm going to start fanning 3-5 times per day as you recommend, previously I was doing it with a card but I think it's too small - when I had received the kit there was a particular smell coming from it but after fanning with a plastic lid from a large box it has disappeared.

Thanks for your input, I'll keep this thread up to date with any developments!

DrunkenDruid

shroom.jpg.6638c08b2a139f1a42da3a7711341a85.jpg

I figured I'd give a quick update here, 2 weeks on the mushrooms have started to pin and are growing, mostly in the corners although it seems there are a fair few mycelium growths in the middle which should pin any time soon.

While I know many here are DIY growers, a lot of lessons have been learned from using the grow kit and I was definitely over-misting the hell out of it earlier on which is probably why the growth is occurring in the corners where the substrate can dry out a bit quicker. 

The next steps will be to clone the best mushroom(s) from this set on some agar plates and start making a big monotub of the stuff!

As the growth is currently very imbalanced got some mushrooms well on their way and others that have not yet even pinned; have you guys any tips for dealing with this?

Sonshyn

How will you be achieving sterile conditions for agar work ? 

DrunkenDruid
On 7/9/2019 at 10:12 PM, Sonshyn said:

How will you be achieving sterile conditions for agar work ? 

The current plan is to just use a still air box made from a large plastic container, people seem to have had good success with it..

A laminar flow hood would be ideal but the components are expensive. Since I've the materials for making the agar and enough mushroom to clone from, I can afford to get a contaminated dish or two, although I believe if I'm careful enough I shouldn't get any at all!