• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

porkchopkilla

B+ general questions

porkchopkilla

hello everyone im fairly new to mycology and I actually just started my first grow! im super excited about it but I have some questions about the strain I chose. ive been looking everywhere and keep getting mixed results and cant find exactly the information I need :( so I was hoping I could have some more experienced brains on the subject or even someone whos cultivated the B+ strain to shed some light one the subject for me 1)should I be trying to colonize in the dark or in dim light? does it even make a difference? 2)what temperature should I be trying to colonize in ive seen responses ranging between 75 degrees to 86 degrees Fahrenheit 3) if anyone had ever used a prepared rye berry spawn grain before could you please tell me if this looks just a little to dry. thank you all who get the chance to respond these are some questions that ive been throwing around in my head and online for a couple days now and I cant seem to get the answers ive been looking for  

20190622_133637.jpg.99ea8c47c1174ad156b3f74094739df3 rye berries1.jpg

20190622_133631.jpg.4b6ad740e03b1dad51d32832f7d35ce9 rye berries 2.jpg

rye berries 3.jpg

MagicalCriminal
19 hours ago, porkchopkilla said:

hello everyone im fairly new to mycology and I actually just started my first grow! im super excited about it but I have some questions about the strain I chose. ive been looking everywhere and keep getting mixed results and cant find exactly the information I need :( so I was hoping I could have some more experienced brains on the subject or even someone whos cultivated the B+ strain to shed some light one the subject for me 1)should I be trying to colonize in the dark or in dim light? does it even make a difference? 2)what temperature should I be trying to colonize in ive seen responses ranging between 75 degrees to 86 degrees Fahrenheit 3) if anyone had ever used a prepared rye berry spawn grain before could you please tell me if this looks just a little to dry. thank you all who get the chance to respond these are some questions that ive been throwing around in my head and online for a couple days now and I cant seem to get the answers ive been looking for  

Colonize in the dark. 

That temp is accurate but growing myc is exothermic. My inc is set to 75. It gets warmer as the bags grow out.

I haven't bought a commercially prepared bag, but do prepare my own bags. The grains look clean and plump with no real split grains I see. Hydration is probably fine since there's nothing you can do about it at this point. 

Put it in the cupboard above the fridge and forget about it for 2 weeks. 

• Thanks 1

porkchopkilla
32 minutes ago, MagicalCriminal said:
20 hours ago, porkchopkilla said:

Colonize in the dark. 

That temp is accurate but growing myc is exothermic. My inc is set to 75. It gets warmer as the bags grow out.

I haven't bought a commercially prepared bag, but do prepare my own bags. The grains look clean and plump with no real split grains I see. Hydration is probably fine since there's nothing you can do about it at this point. 

Put it in the cupboard above the fridge and forget about it for 2 weeks. 

Thank you so much!! I will start getting loads of pictures for a grow log and let everyone know how my first flush went :) I'm super excited about this I've had mushrooms on the mind  for weeks now and I can tell I'm already going to really enjoy this hobby 

porkchopkilla

saw my first signs of myc today!!! very excited about this discovery :) now I can finally be at peace about it and be patient without having to worry thank you all!! I will make sure to post lots of picture and come back if I have any questions

porkchopkilla
On 6/23/2019 at 10:58 PM, 2smart4ownGood said:

Light has never to had a huge difference in colonization of grain spawn for me. Temps do play a larger role in how fast a jar will colonize, if you keep a temp at 72 give or take 5 Deg is ok.. your rye look good, if it's a multi spore inoculation then it can take some time for the spore germinate. You have to wait  more then you want  some times.

Thank you! This forum has been really helpful with ant questions I've had :) I just spotted myc growth last night in both of my bags it was an awesome feeling 

Chuggychow

I know that feeling. Congrats, do you know what growing tek you’re going to use? 

porkchopkilla
36 minutes ago, Chuggychow said:

I know that feeling. Congrats, do you know what growing tek you’re going to use? 

I'm actually not sure to be honest I still don't even know what I'm  doing but that's the fun of It! I don't have a pressure cooker or anything like that so I resorted to prepared rye berries and a prepared compost. I have 2 pounds of rye berries and 5 pounds of compost that I would mix into myco bags. For every one pound of berries I would mix 2.5 pounds of compost. I know alot of people will say i made a mistake with the myco bags I know i could probably go bigger and get a better flush but for a first timer it seemed perfect just to dip  my toes into all this I'm still soaking up all this new fascinating information! :) give me y'alls opinions on what I should do before the bags are fully colonized! I could possibly say screw the myco bags and go for a  bulk grow

Chuggychow

I would read the teks like the dubtub, monotub, and ztub or zombie tub. I prefer the dubtub. They are all great and full of every detail you need to be successful. I’ve never fruited in a bag before, but it’s really whatever you feel confident and comfortable doing.

You could potentially use a 1/2 pound of spawn (split each bag in half) to 1.25 pounds of substrate in a dub tub,  or throw it all together in a monotub. I think that would be ok if you wanted to do a bulk grow. 

• Thanks 1

porkchopkilla
17 minutes ago, Chuggychow said:

I would read the teks like the dubtub, monotub, and ztub or zombie tub. I prefer the dubtub. They are all great and full of every detail you need to be successful. I’ve never fruited in a bag before, but it’s really whatever you feel confident and comfortable doing.

You could potentially use a 1/2 pound of spawn (split each bag in half) to 1.25 pounds of substrate in a dub tub,  or throw it all together in a monotub. I think that would be ok if you wanted to do a bulk grow. 

thank you that was amazing input! I was reading about zombie tubs but ill have to check out the dubtub right now while I got time :) I found one review for the myco bags I have and the guy got a huge flush out of each bag and he was able to get multiple flushes by just refilling the bag with just a little bit of water. seeing this made me a little more confident in the bag route but ill look into dubtubs and who knows I might just ditch the bags 

porkchopkilla

hey everyone I had another quick question :) my rye berries are colonizing really quickly!! in just these two days since I discovered the myc growth its grown so much!! I was thinking could I technically mix up all the grains together after about 20% or 30% colonization 🤔 would this stall out colonizing times or actually help it? should  I do it to one bag and leave the other so I can see which is faster? thank y'all for the quick responses 

MagicalCriminal

Break it up an mix well. I mix at 15-25%.  iIt will reconsolidate.

Bags are giant cakes until you mix with sub for a bulk grow. I prefer bulk to cakes for larger flushes.

• Like 2

porkchopkilla

Thanks everyone!! I'll post a few pictures of the growth when I'm off work today hopefully it's grown even more by then lol!

MagicalCriminal

Is that black thing supposed to be a filter for FAE? If so, it might clog. Myc has been known to grow through tyvek.  Might want to lay the bag on side and pull filter away from the grain. 

porkchopkilla
19 minutes ago, MagicalCriminal said:

Is that black thing supposed to be a filter for FAE? If so, it might clog. Myc has been known to grow through tyvek.  Might want to lay the bag on side and pull filter away from the grain. 

Actually that was the self healing injection port :) so no worries on it clogging it has a really fine filter at the very top of the bag to alow for gas exchange I thought it was really simple and idiot proof for a first timer so I went with it but when I'm home ill take some good photos for everyone to check out how it's going and how my set up currently looks instead of the super close up pictures that I've been taking

• Thanks 1

porkchopkilla

Alright everybody it's officially been a week since inoculation and this is where we are at so far! Knocked up on the 20th june first signs of myc growth were on the 24th(just 4 days later!!!!)

1 & 2 are from the first day I discovered growth it was just a tiny patch of myc on both bags 

3 & 4 are from just now :) now the mycelium is all over the bottom, the backs and sides of the bags 

the last one is just a picture showing the bags in their whole state. Let me know if y'all have any questions 

edit:I'm sorry the pictures posted out of order but I also just noticed a tiny patch of mycelium in the front of the bag in the last picture so it's spreading as we speak!

20190627_151344.jpg

20190624_215534.jpg

20190624_215605.jpg

20190627_151402.jpg

20190627_151505.jpg

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

Now stop taking them out to look and love on them.🙄 They have a ways to go. At this stage nature trumps nuture.

porkchopkilla

Thank you for the advice 😃 I know I need to leave them alone it's just so freaking cool to look at it go!!! I'll be back if I have any questions but I'll try not to have any questions lol thank you everyone for the help I'll for sure let everyone know how it goes!!!

MagicalCriminal

Yes it is exciting. We were all there.😉 I still am particularly with untried strains.  Gotta try 'em all. LOL

• Like 1

porkchopkilla

Hey everyone it's been about a week since my last post and I did what every one said to do and just left my bags alone well my curiosity got the best of me tonight and I checked out my bags and holy crap these things have grown so much!!! I've been keeping it at about 77° F :) are these ready to mix together? Not in sub of course but just to speed up colonization in the bag itself 

20190701_213254.jpg

20190701_213307.jpg

20190701_213318.jpg

20190701_213330.jpg

Chuggychow

Yeah you can mix them, don’t open your bags, just break them up well with your hands. Mix well and put back and in 3 or 4 days look again. 

• Thanks 1

porkchopkilla
6 minutes ago, Chuggychow said:

Yeah you can mix them, don’t open your bags, just break them up well with your hands. Mix well and put back and in 3 or 4 days look again. 

Awesome and I never knew how beautiful mycelium is up close my camera can't do it justice it just looks so healthy and pretty thank you sm for the fast response 

porkchopkilla

Thank you!!! Just busted up the rye now and it made me sad  not being able to see the growth but I know I'll start seeing so much more because of this so it's a happy sad lol

sPrOuT
On 7/2/2019 at 12:23 AM, porkchopkilla said:

Thank you!!! Just busted up the rye now and it made me sad  not being able to see the growth but I know I'll start seeing so much more because of this so it's a happy sad lol

Reading all your posts cuz I'm new too and we have a lot of the same questions. My bags are not quit as far along. I shook em up early and now they dont look as good. It's like watching the  grass grow.

porkchopkilla
On 7/3/2019 at 4:30 PM, sPrOuT said:

Reading all your posts cuz I'm new too and we have a lot of the same questions. My bags are not quit as far along. I shook em up early and now they dont look as good. It's like watching the  grass grow.

I waited to shake mine until I knew they were ready I still had to come here to ask though :) after breaking up the mycelium it's almost already re-colonized both bags entirely but from everything I've read it all just depends on your substrain

porkchopkilla

It's been about 5 days since I last posted any growth pictures and I have to say my bags are going crazy with growth!!! I got some pictures for everybody to check out :) anyone have a guess as to when I could mix this with substrate? 

20190705_170058.jpg

20190705_170108.jpg

20190705_170118.jpg

20190705_170150.jpg

20190705_170150.jpg