• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

MagicalCriminal

Grow log 2

MagicalCriminal

To celebrate The start of next grow and Independence day, I ran about 1/2 of a tub of spent sub/grain through the magic bullet and mixed well into a gallon of water. I am sure it's the wrong time of year but it's getting tossed one place or another. I took the gallon of slurry on an early morning walk through the river walk park. I don't know what happened but the jug was empty when I returned to the parking lot.😈😈

• Like 2

MagicalCriminal

We have been noccing bags the last couple weeks of the first grow. AA+, PE,  volcano, cambo, KSS classic, p. cyan, mitaike. The PE and AAA+ are mostly colonized but the bottoms didnt want to finish. Taking a page from gourmet growers, I turned the bags/blocks upside down with the uncolonized portion on top.  Progress was made over night.  Moisture content might not be quite dialed in but getting closer. 

Blurryface wants to keep a few of the grow one tubs going until room is needed even though they are only producing 2-3 mush a day. 

I pulled the saved sterile agar from fridge and stuck in boiling water to melt for 20 new dishes. An hour later I have hot solid bottles of agar. The pot of boiling water takes too much checking so pulled out the sou vide and set at 180. it took another hour and half to completely melt the agar. I am unsure where reheated agar is any faster than making a fresh batch. The next morning Blurryface nocced about 4 plates with I dont know what. We had been talking about cloning to agar for substrain isolation and had just picked some beautiful volcano. One was large and well formed, the other was of equal size and the cap was shaped like a tit even though it had fully matured. Since Tub O Tits rolls off the tongue so well, we decided we need tits to go with the PE. Two clones were taken from each and placed near the edge in 4 dishes. 

I have come to the realization that while I have gathered all the parts for the flowhood, real life sucks and I will not have time to build until I take my vacation in a month or so.  Pics next time.

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

Life got busy then there was a sight seeing trip down  DMT drive but I digress.   We had made 10 bags but something went wrong and it appeared to wet.  Having dealt with wet bags before, proceeded to noc 6 bags with various LC. The other 5 were nocced with agar wedges from the fresh grown plates. As much started growing, bags got wetter and turned into oat soup. Several started to sour and we're tossed even though a few had strong growth. Only 2 bags survived to this point. 1 PE and 1 volcano.  11 new grain bags were made and sterilized. These look fantastic. Blurryface had found a new strainer that quickly cleans the dust  but keeps what little chaff (straw)is in it. The volcano bag was opened in the forced air bag the myc chunk removed, broken up and spread between 4 bags.  A fully colonized block of PE that had been in the fridge was broken up and spread among 6 bags. The soupy bag of PE was shifted around to raise the myc lump to sit on top of the grain hoping to get the bottom of lump colonized for transfer before the bag sours.  

While I was able to grow LC, none of the soupy bags nocced grew before souring. We will try again soon with more bags but I plan on switching LC recipes in hopes of finding the combo to get the LC to grow in grain.

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

Pic time. 

Psilocybe Cyan. It's been a long run but they are ready for the outdoor beds.

20190819_081427.thumb.jpg.e9e425fe9ce38fa59932b53b3632f0f0.jpg

PE- 7, 5 lb bags from the G2G last week. Shaken and placed back in the inc.

20190819_081907.thumb.jpg.998140692e94e5de2c0c586ffe87ef7b.jpg

Volcano- 7,  5 llb bags from G2G. The wet bag that was beginning to sour. Excellent growth considering the small transfer amount. No undesirable smell.

Some floaties in the solvent filtered out and dried.

20190819_081313.thumb.jpg.7281acd84cdd9be35a71d41c21cfde37.jpg

20190819_082628.jpg

• Like 2

mushmouth

Looking good!!!

• Thanks 1

MagicalCriminal

Last week I prepped the flower bed  for the outdoor psilocybin cyanescens. The section of bed I am using is about 2 x 3. It has a retaining wall at back with ground level about 2 ft higher behind the wall. There is also some sapling growing in the middle that shades the majority of the bed. I started by soaking a bunch of torn up cardboard sans printing, labels or tape in a bucket of gypsum water. Pretty sure I used too much gypsum because I had grey mud in the bottom of the bucket. I layed down lasagna style cardboard, hardwood pellets lightly sprinkled, a little verm also sprinkled and spawn. Total of 3 complete layers with a final cardboard layer to help maintain moisture. Tossed some of the gypsum mud on top then watered it all. My thought being the final watering would carry some gypsum through all layers.  The corner of the bed catches a little direct noontime sun so I took an old polyfil blanket ( because polyfil does not promote growth) and tossed it over the sunny spot. 

While at I was at work today Blurryface sent me a pic that lifted my spirits.

20190831_094339_1.jpg.ae218c8bd1d3a8560bd122d185d51f20.jpg

After seeing the pic, I asked her to hydrate some coir and lightly case the bed to the point of no visible cardboard. I think there might be a chance for fall harvest. I am stoked!! It's been 30 years since I studied some wavy caps.

• Like 2

mushmouth

Fantastic!!!

MagicalCriminal
46 minutes ago, mushmouth said:

Fantastic!!!

I really can't wait.

That was only 1 bag.  Trying to find a spot for the other.

• Like 2

mushmouth

They fruit in the fall?

MagicalCriminal

Depends on location. IIRC my location is usually fall, maybe spring. 

Either way it's a better shot than indoors.😉

• Like 1

mushmouth
23 hours ago, MagicalCriminal said:

While at I was at work today Blurryface sent me a pic that lifted my spirits.

AhhhhHAAA!!!!

• Haha 2

MagicalCriminal

Had 6 bags of sub premade so spawned 2 of the PE. Maybe more sub tomorrow.

Was going to do 3 .

20190903_103627.thumb.jpg.7e57201635646b0fb05085c15610be03.jpg

Everything laid out.

20190903_110106.thumb.jpg.5ddf2e8ee8f3ace549d1dce567357780.jpg

Greenhouse duties switched to incubation.

20190903_115700.jpg.e71dca13e3952e83b010bbc313815a6e.jpg

• Like 2

mushmouth

Nice set up!!! Do you have it dialed in pretty well as a GH?

• Thanks 1

MagicalCriminal
5 hours ago, mushmouth said:

Nice set up!!! Do you have it dialed in pretty well as a GH?

The location keeps temp at 69-72*  an inkbird controller takes care of humidity. I need to get out the instructions for the controller and reset the differential but  it does pretty well.

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

Made 2 double batches of sub today.

20190904_124933.thumb.jpg.f7601b18b587aac570efbd5e7fdd838c.jpg

This will get another 2-3 bags of PE spawn out of the closet incubator. The sub won't be cool until morning so it is time for a beer.

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

While I was at work Blurryface ran another batch of sub and filled more tubs. Currently 12 - 27 qt tubs and 5 shoeboxes of PE colonizing.

20190906_094339.jpg.37870deca8396509169220bc6d921e40.jpg

I evidently made far too many bags of spawn. 10 bags fully colonized are now residing in the bottom shelf of the fridge. Hoping they last long enough to open room in greenhouse.

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

All those beautiful PE tubs.  Today Igor(Blurryface) was supposed to make and PC fresh casing for the future but communication wires got crossed. Luckily we didn't have much premade casing left.

On day 7 of sub colonization she cased 4 tubs from the first batch and reinstalled the foil and put back in incubation. Arrggh!  I am figuring about a 50% loss from tam due to early opening of the colonizing sub. Might be less since we sterilize sub and casing.  I told her to leave in incubation thinking any that survived would eat the casing and then it could be recased at the 14 day mark which coincides with the second batch at 12 days. At the same time we are switching from gardening lime to pickling lime but records are unclear where that change took place.

@Mush Zombie, @mushmouth, @El_Piraña would you have done anything different? Since this is PE, I thought I might get away with it because of longer fruiting times. Inc temp is 78*  normal fruiting temps in the GH is 69-72*  

• Like 1

mushmouth

Sounds ok to me. I think you're right about having a better than 50% success rate.

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

@mushmouth this is the first time with PE, but also the first batch of bags that I think we have moisture dialed in. It grew quick in the grain so pretty sure it went to sub strong and healthy.  fingers crossed.

• Like 1

mushmouth
4 minutes ago, MagicalCriminal said:

@mushmouth this is the first time with PE, but also the first batch of bags that I think we have moisture dialed in. It grew quick in the grain so pretty sure it went to sub strong and healthy.  fingers crossed.

Fast colonization. Bingo!

• Thanks 1

MagicalCriminal

When it rains it pours. Blurryface is no longer able to assist me. I thought of just tossing it all because of limited time I have but an idea struck me. PE being slower might give me a chance to catch different tubs at different times without having to worry about sporulation puking all over the greenhouse.  So its a done deal, 12 tubs cased, heater removed and humidifier res filled up. I opened a vent at the top and opposite bottom of the greenhouse and cranked the humidity controller to 92%. I can see flow from bottom vent so just hoping I have time to balance the opening size to hopely see some fruits. I am really curious how an experiment I started survives. Its called the exit plan tek. more info on that later if it works. LOL.  I have pics of the progress but will have to wait till I post from my phone.

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

The above pics were taken 7 days after closing the greenhouse. When it was opened, I noticed some heat build up and as pictured, tub progress is slow. The fogger circuit seems to be putting out enough heat for it to build up a little. Really need to move it outside the greenhouse and duct the fog inside. However, not enough time so I opened the vents a little more. Time will tell if venting is effective for lowering the heat. it's not hot, but not the crisp 68*  in the room.