• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Mycomeso

Advice seeked.Experiment attempted.

Mycomeso

So I have a small macro type experiment I wanted to do and it deals mainly with casing and the expectant results from such methods. What I’ve done is fully colonized a 4 oz. container (small I know for sake of speed) and then prepare with a 12 hour water dunk and as you can see a light casing of peat spaghum and some spent coffee ground mix on approx half of the cake. I’m hoping to be able to see some real benefits/disadvantages for going one way or another. As it stands now tho I’m getting some very different myc growths depending on which side you look at. Now this is where your more experienced and guided hand takes mine in tow, and educate me some!On one side it looks almost as if tomentose whereas on the moss side we are getting the real ropey rhismorphic stuff is at.My question is which One is preferable at this stage ?

mushmouth

You shouldn't add any nutrients to a casing.

Mycomeso

I have never heard that, why is that so mush? Are the nutes not really transferable into the mycelial network at the point of full colonization? I just don’t see where nutes could do harm but would love to delve little deeper into the minds of the more enlightened.

I was assuming the network would take from the casing as it was needed just like a feeder water system would work (in theory), while extending the life of the cake by preserving moisture and retaining the nutes

Moonphase

Myc will grow into the nutrient rich casing.   From what I can tell, visual analysis only, the casing only provides an environment for the mycelium to form primordial growth under.   That is when the mushrooms start to grow up through the casing that is protecting the mycelium.   Add nutes and the mycelium doesn't stop to form primordial it just keeps growing through the nutrients.   My .02

• Like 1

Mycomeso

So do you think the LACK OF nutes is actually acting as one of the external triggers (others being lower temp,higher RH, and light)that tells it to switch to “fruit body mode” ? This is actually a new insight I’m happy to of maybe gleaned if someone can confirm?

• Like 2

mushmouth

Lack of nutes is the #1 trigger. Full colonization should be done in the inc, not the FC.

Sonshyn

One thing I was worried about with your experiment and it had to deal with the nutes/coffee. You ever forget to clean out your coffee filter for a couple days ? I’ve pulled the one at work out on Monday after it had sat since Friday and it was blue and green . Sometimes white could’ve been cobweb mold I guess . Leaving the hydrated coffee grounds on the outside has them pretty exposed . Hopefully the myc you want to get on there gets there before other molds do.

• Like 1

Mycomeso

As it stands now the mycelium reached out more or less so aggressively it knocked the majority of it off. I honestly am hoping I didn’t because I will admit I did shortcut the casing and merely steam pasteurized so hoping that was enough to keep the contams away for long enough. Also I added the control cake to the experiment and that will be just a plain unmodified cake that was inoculated on same date and followed same procedure and protocol.

Updated Pics :)

• Like 1

Mycomeso

As it stands now the mycelium reached out more or less so aggressively it knocked the majority of it off. I honestly am hoping I didn’t because I will admit I did shortcut the casing and merely steam pasteurized so hoping that was enough to keep the contams away for long enough. Also I added the control cake to the experiment and that will be just a plain unmodified cake that was inoculated on same date and followed same procedure and protocol.

Updated Pics :)

Sooo now that I’ve let a few days pass and unfortunately took a small break to go do some adrenaline filled activities I had to leave the tank for almost two days no monitoring but the tank I’ve built is pretty much made for these type situations so picked out there but I did not some of my pin set were on dry side which is surely because of lack of depth on my perlite to maintain humidity for slighter longer duration.So I’ll just give some visual analysis and will keep the pictures coming.Feel free to jump into the discussion with whatever!

Visually it appears as if healthier and more abundant pinsets have popped up on the non-cased side of the cake. That was actually to be expected during this first little bit of this experiment because where I Expect the casing to actually be beneficial is, is in the long run with preserving moisture and giving a reserve of nutrients for later flushes. The pins on either side were fairly dry in the appearance and will chalk that up to conditions in the tank not a difference from the casing. Also something to be noted is it seems on the cased side it’s only INDiVidual not sets....Perhaps something to be noted.Pics. Tell me what you think purrrddy please!

Mush Zombie

What is your conclusion

Mycomeso

To early to call honestly...I gave what brief analysis I could above, would you concur in analysis? Also would you say the pinsets I do have appear on the fairly dry side or that just me? Ramped up some of the hydration to make up for what I missed when I was away but all in all I think they moving along as they should on at least the uncased side.

El_Piraña

So what exactly is the experiment? Cased vs uncased?

• Like 1

Mycomeso
1 minute ago, El_Piraña said:

So what exactly is the experiment? Cased vs uncased?

Particularly interested in supplemented peat moss as the casing tho and with coffee as the supplement bout 20:1 ratio coco coir to coffee.I had hoped it would provide a superior casing  cause it would act as a longer acting reserve bank of power of nutes.Unfortuntely I think it kept it mainly from jumping into fruiting stage, Also I think it’s introducing unnecessary risk for not enough reward. Eventually will work my way up to the experiment of having a almost hollow design where I will surround the supplemental nute substrate by already colonized mycelium ready to go into fruit mode so as to having almost three layers of mycelium each with there own designed purpose.Nutes in center being pushed out to the already fruiting mycelium, being the key differential factor of design.