• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

rastakess304

10 days into the run

Question

38 answers to this question

rastakess304

@Mush Mouth basically I just have to wait, yeah?  This is my first run in probably six years and the smell immediately brought back good memories,  so everything is good in terms of odor lol.  

I wasn’t planning to pull the tape until after some  pins appeared, as that was how it worked well for me the last time around...  And although I’ve read about it, I certainly wasn’t planning to scratch it yet or anything like that (at least not until overlay becomes problematic but from what I’ve read on here it’s really not that big of a deal.  I shouldn’t really worry about overlay in general?) 

I did hit it with a light misting of 3% hydrogen peroxide before my first fanning, just in case the wispier mycelium was Cobweb.

but there was no hissing or sizzling with the application of H2o2 like there is with cobwebs, though. So I think I’m good... for now. Lol. 

• Like 1

mushmouth

Who in the hell is this Mush Mouth fucker???

Don't do anything out of the ordinary. Everything looks good.

Did you case that tub? If so, you'll only have to fan or mist it rarely. If not, I'd keep the lid on it until You see pins.

Seriously, bud... cubes are so easy. Don't freak out and ruin it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

rastakess304

It was case with 50-50 verm/peat.  But after 10 days it had consumed the entire casing. 

I guess I will hold off on the misting and Fanning, just let it chill for a while 

• Like 2

mushmouth

My favorite cubes, Cambos, eat the casing every time.

• Like 1

rastakess304

So what if you notice that there is a fine mist layer of moisture across the top of the substrate? Fan to dry the surface of the sub and then mist the side of the tub to get RH back up, then place lid back on (and repeat as necessary)? 

I have tape on the holes of my tub. (It’s not breathable tape).  Last time around, granted it’s been years lol, from what I remember I would just leave the tape on until I saw the first pins  and then rip the tape off and it would explode with pins

@mushmouth  unfortunately I’m working in a  carpeted room  so I’m a little bit weary about using a fan to blow air around etc.  Honestly I’m halfway expecting it to tam as soon as the tape comes off lol.  The carpet is new in the room and rooms super clean but it’s...iffy.  I do  Lysol the air  around the tub before I fan etc. 

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

A fully colonized tub has little chance to tam. Evap is the pinning trigger, which is why it was suggested to mist and fan.

• Like 1

rastakess304
2 hours ago, MagicalCriminal said:

A fully colonized tub has little chance to tam. Evap is the pinning trigger, which is why it was suggested to mist and fan.

He literally said to hold off on mist/fan though cus it’s cased. It’s just that the casing has been fully  colonized and now there is a fine layer of mist across the top of the colonized Casing. 

Thus, I assume I *should* fan it?

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

I would if you want pins. The mist part is to replace moisture lost from fanning. 

My casing just starts to go light brown before I mist but I open the greenhouse and turn on fan 3-4 times a day for 15 mins until I have pins.

• Like 2

rastakess304

Update:  looks a little more dry, but there is that fine mist I’m talking about. 

7BABCE61-70B8-4A35-A3D7-0D062E76F1BB.jpeg

F7A1686E-CEC4-4C09-AD12-E6721028181F.jpeg

A14C2901-FDB6-4AD0-A4EB-76C5210FEC64.jpeg

• Like 1

Sweetvince

The mist is like a morning dew, means the humidity is high. In my opinion that's good. The mycelium will continue to spread and consume the substrate throughout the whole process. More then likely it will get to all of the corners.

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

I think its looking very promising for a full canopy. The uncolonized corner may or may not cause a problem but I would make sure you have a way to dry them before they appear.

• Like 2

PureBliss

All this newbie can say is absolutely beautiful in those tubs, Myc is awesome and I am soooo ready to get mine going. Gonna try to follow one or two of the best grows and see what my environment is telling the mycelium to do. In Colorado, even with chem trails and lower temps here it is still  very hard to regulate the humidity (very low), but with PATIENCE, I am sure I will get mine going. Thanks everyone for the assistance and follow-up on the answers. So far, really liking all of the posters on this site, very useful info, thanks everyone :) PS my about me page shows my mess, not by any means proud just yet... But the mush gods will prevail either way, that is where I store my faith.

• Like 2

mushmouth
13 hours ago, rastakess304 said:

He literally said to hold off on mist/fan though cus it’s cased. It’s just that the casing has been fully  colonized and now there is a fine layer of mist across the top of the colonized Casing. 

Thus, I assume I *should* fan it?

Sorry bud. I missed this.

I said if you cased it you should mist and fan it. Just keep the casing moist looking.

If you did not case it you should keep the tubs closed as much as possible.

Sorry bout the confusion.

• Like 1

rastakess304
18 minutes ago, mushmouth said:

Sorry bud. I missed this.

I said if you cased it you should mist and fan it. Just keep the casing moist looking.

If you did not case it you should keep the tubs closed as much as possible.

Sorry bout the confusion.

Your good man. Sorry to keep that thread dragging on but I guess what I’m basically wondering is: my Myc  completely colonized the casing. And now it is pretty much constantly wet on the top of the casing. So I should fan until dry, Mist to maintain RH,  but not drench it? Basically, there is what looks like a layer of mist  overtop of the entire layer of mycelium/casing  and I don’t want it to tam! 

mushmouth
4 minutes ago, rastakess304 said:

Your good man. Sorry to keep that thread dragging on but I guess what I’m basically wondering is: my Myc  completely colonized the casing. And now it is pretty much constantly wet on the top of the casing. So I should fan until dry, Mist to maintain RH,  but not drench it? Basically, there is what looks like a layer of mist  overtop of the entire layer of mycelium/casing  and I don’t want it to tam! 

Bingo.

My Cambo strain eats up the casing every time. I think because it's so fast and aggressive. Even though the myc is bare on the surface, the casing still does its job so I feel safe fanning it.

On a non cased sub, you risk drying the very top of the myc, it will slick over and you'll end up with horrible pin sets.

rastakess304

So, one week in fruiting and still no pins/knots.

Myc  *does* seem to be changing, in terms of pattern/appearance. Humidity is good, added a fan to the room for better air circulation. I’ll check in with you guys in another few days..

rastakess304

OK. On the good side, I noticed my first two primordia today. Very exciting Lol.  On a different note, some of the mycelium that looked the most healthy only two days ago is now taking on a bluish timt. It is not Trich-   No fuzziness, no green.   

From what I can tell, this is somewhat natural when mycelium is dying/pinning? But it also could be due to insufficient FAE... OR a reaction to mist/Fanning? In the first picture,  you can just see the cake from above. The second picture is the bluish tent on one of the clumps of substrate 

Any takes are greatly  appreciated @mushmouth

D72B1A1F-4963-4047-9E81-FA766ECB7F4F.jpeg

E4F50E98-EC64-4C00-90F1-0F73ED36DFA1.jpeg

As you can see I still have not ripped the tape off of the holes-  I’m a little reluctant until I see more pins first.   However, I do remove the lid and fan them directly with a fan on high for about 20 minutes 2x per day, allowing the surface to dry out before misting heavily and replacing the lid 

• Like 1

mushmouth

Looks like bruising to me. You could probably back off on fanning some. Maybe put it on low.

rastakess304
8 minutes ago, mushmouth said:

Looks like bruising to me. You could probably back off on fanning some. Maybe put it on low.

Word. THanks man. I’ll give that a try. 

rastakess304
On 8/21/2019 at 6:01 PM, mushmouth said:

Still dealing with that bluing, wondering if it’s too late to put a casing, like a quarter inch casing? 

Pins on the older tub don’t seem to mind the bluing lol, but on my new cake I’m worried about it being too dry because of an absence of misting  while I’m at work. Should I try some polyfill?

2902D9C2-7957-4BB7-B393-9AB71CA7B1F4.jpeg

5892B2DA-C6D4-4B0D-8E3F-F95970FE79C7.jpeg

MagicalCriminal

And seal lid with weather stripping. If your not home most of the day, you have to do something to keep RH up, particularly without a casing.

rastakess304
1 hour ago, MagicalCriminal said:

And seal lid with weather stripping. If your not home most of the day, you have to do something to keep RH up, particularly without a casing.

So I should hold off from adding a casing now, though? 

MagicalCriminal

How lightly do you think you can place it? You already have primordia which could be damaged by casing now. Casing just helps RH so will weatherstripping a poor sealing tub and using polyfil. 

• Like 1

rastakess304
1 hour ago, MagicalCriminal said:

How lightly do you think you can place it? You already have primordia which could be damaged by casing now. Casing just helps RH so will weatherstripping a poor sealing tub and using polyfil. 

Only one of the tubs has pins/knots.  The one in the bottom picture doesn’t yet; I may sterilize some field capacity verm and try that... 

rastakess304

Ok.  So I plan on chiming in on this thread until harvest. Right now, there are maybe five pins (shrooms at this point) which are only a day or two away from maturity, whilst the rest of the cake is covered with knots and looks like it will be a BOOMER of a tub.

However, should I be worried that it’s coming up on three weeks and I’m just now starting to see what may become an ocean of pins? Contamination has not been a problem yet, fingers crossed, but if it’s going to be damn near a month in fruiting  conditions before harvest I’m just a little worried 

thoughts? @mushmouth  @MagicalCriminal