• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

GoodGary

Ok, so I need some assistance. In the past I helped a friend with his cultivation and picked up some great tips and tricks along the way. Here I am 7 years later and I am starting up my own cultivation and experiments.

So far I have crafted a glove box out of a clear, weatherproof tote that worked very well for the inoculation process. I have also designed and created an incubation chamber out of an ice chest, a reptile heating pad, and an on/off thermometer switch. It's working great and I am currently two weeks past inoculation with amazing and beautifully healthy mycelium. I've broken it up twice already (it's on grain spawn) but I think I will need to do this more often, the second time was fairly difficult to break up.

Moving on to why I am posting this in the first place.....

I have uploaded a picture here. It's a crude drawing on paint but I think it is fairly comprehensible. Basically I designed this fruiting chamber off some similar work I did with my buddy 7 years ago and wanted to run it past the minds on this board to see what you all think, and what could be improved. The idea here is that once I swap to my bulk sub (coco+verm) in a Sterilite 6qt. "shoebox" and it is fully inoculated I will place the box into the fruiting chamber (a larger Sterilite) and from there it should be pretty much automated until it's time to harvest. I'll have four of these fruiting chamber total to start, but there is one air pump and fogger for every two chambers, hence the drawing. Before you ask why the 4 chambers as opposed to one or two monotubs there are several reasons. One is space, this setup fits into my closet much nicer than the larger tubs. Second is quality, if there is an issue with one for any reason I can toss it and still have the others. Third is experimentation, this will allow me to try different subs at the same time on the same strains for a side-by-side comparison. Last is quantity, I can cultivate different stains at the same time or rotate them in a manner that allows for near constant harvesting if done properly.

The airpump and fogger/mister are hooked up to the same power supply, which will be kicked on and off either by a timer or by a hydrometer placed inside one of the chambers for FAE and humidity. This way I can either use a timer to kick on the automated FAE several times a day or set the hydrometer to something like 100% humidity which will kick on when it drops below that. Whether or not to go with a timer or a hydrometer is one thing I would like to answer here with your help. The fogger/mister water will likely have about a cap full of hydrogen peroxide just to help cut down on any possible contams. The air from the pump will be fed into the fogger/mister pot and will in turn feed the humidified air from there into the fruiting chambers. The 6qt. "shoebox" will be raised off the floor of the fruiting chamber, this should allow the CO2 to sink to the bottom of the chamber and be expelled through a one-way valve whenever the airpump/fogger/FAE system kicks on. 

So, thoughts? Critiques? Wanna tell me how stupid this is? Or is it brilliant? Kinda piecing it together from memory of when I helped my buddy as well as some modification from my own thoughts. His setup worked great so I know something like this is doable...... well?

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

porkchopkilla

Very interesting🤔 I'm going to follow so I can stay updated on this to see what other people have to say about it 

• Like 2

GoodGary
5 hours ago, porkchopkilla said:

Very interesting🤔 I'm going to follow so I can stay updated on this to see what other people have to say about it 

Do you have any thoughts? 

porkchopkilla
3 hours ago, GoodGary said:

Do you have any thoughts? 

It looks like a great design something I havnt really seen before I'm very curious to see how it plays out if you go through with it :) I can't give any real input sadly as I'm still fairly new to all this but I'm always interested in reading new grow teks :)

• Like 1

GoodGary
1 hour ago, porkchopkilla said:

It looks like a great design something I havnt really seen before I'm very curious to see how it plays out if you go through with it :) I can't give any real input sadly as I'm still fairly new to all this but I'm always interested in reading new grow teks :)

Cool, well I will report back here from time to time to update you. I just checked out your posted topic on your first grow in the bags, good work friend. 

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

My humidifier is similar. Tote with pond fogger, but computer fan instead of air pump. The whole thing sits in the greenhouse.

I assume you plan on aquarium pump. Most don't develop much volume and any back pressure(one way valves) will reduce it further. You may need a more expensive pump then you planned on. 

I like the idea and hope it works as planned but I see a lot of fine tuning such as weather stripping the lids, getting valves to balance flow, etc.

• Like 1

porkchopkilla
11 hours ago, GoodGary said:

Cool, well I will report back here from time to time to update you. I just checked out your posted topic on your first grow in the bags, good work friend. 

Thank you :) I'm very proud of my self 

GoodGary
15 hours ago, MagicalCriminal said:

My humidifier is similar. Tote with pond fogger, but computer fan instead of air pump. The whole thing sits in the greenhouse.

I assume you plan on aquarium pump. Most don't develop much volume and any back pressure(one way valves) will reduce it further. You may need a more expensive pump then you planned on. 

I like the idea and hope it works as planned but I see a lot of fine tuning such as weather stripping the lids, getting valves to balance flow, etc.

Definitely some fine tuning to be had. I did get aquarium pumps, two 60 gal. I believe. I live in an area where there are grow stores with commercial air pumps, if these don't work I will likely go there and upgrade. I purchased one-way valves from an aquarium store, that is one area I'm concerned with. They don't seem to let the air our as I was planning. My buddy who I mentioned previously actually just used a single finger from a rubber glove, with a pin needle hole in the tip. It would inflate to expel CO2 when the pump was on and when deflated seemed to do a good job closing off. I was trying to improve on that but may go back to it, or perhaps some stuffing/micropore tape instead?  Hmmmm 🤨

I don't remember my buddy needing to weather strip the lids of his fruiting chambers. I will try without first and see how that goes. Thank you for the feedback!

• Like 1