• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

MushyPeas

Hi mushy friends, 

One of my cakes has started pinning but the mycelium hasn't fully grown over (see photos, they are of the same jar). Should I wait until it does completely or start dunking?

IMG_7448.jpg

IMG_7449.jpg

Chuggychow

I would still let it finish colonizing, not sure though. 🙋‍♂️ Is that a glass you’re using? 

• Like 1

darkvoyager

looks contaminated, as soon a mycelium meets another competitor it stops growing there and its considered "done" and Will attempt to fruit to sporulate. id trash it, it should be completely colonized sitting for a while before that happens 

• Like 2

MagicalCriminal

Props and Prost! Love it. Using a pint glass.

I don't see the tams. Looks a bit heavy on verm but no details, no opinion worthwhile.

• Like 1

MushyPeas

Haha yeah they are glasses, I'm working with what I've got. I inoculated 8 weeks ago, I believe colonisation has been slow because its winter in Australia and its often below 20 celsius (68f). 2 out of 7 have fully colonised and starting pinning, 2 are 3/4 colonised (one of which is the one pinning already), 2 have no action and 1 was contaminated. 

MagicalCriminal, do you think I should wait it out a bit longer or can I start dunking the one from the pic? 

MagicalCriminal

I am not the cake expert. Even the top one though pinning doesn't look completely colonized. Look very bottom right and reflection on bottom left. Time frame is about right though. Hang on. Paging @mushmouth

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

mushmouth

I'd let it keep colonizing until it's done.

If growth has completely stopped, she's a goner and out she goes.

If you're not sure, use a sharpie to trace the edge of the myc and put it back in the inc for a few more days.

What do you think, @DonkeyHote?

• Like 1

MushyPeas

Thanks for the advice my dudes. Was sadly contaminated but managed to get a couple of cakes from the batch. Will definitely use smaller jars next time :)

• Like 2