• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

El_Piraña

Back at it

mushmouth

Good to see you back at it, bud!!! 👍

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

Cloning dried fruits? I didn't realize that was possible. Can you elaborate?

Oops welcome back. Excitement got the better of me.😁

• Like 1

El_Piraña
22 hours ago, MagicalCriminal said:

Cloning dried fruits? I didn't realize that was possible. Can you elaborate?

Actually it was a lot like cloning fresh. I found one sample fruit of each strain that I wanted to clone. In the SAB, I used an exacto knife to split the stem starting from the bottom.  Then did my best to scrape a small piece from the inside of the stem near the cap onto agar.

The pieces will rehydrate from the agar first, then you’ll begin to see new mycelium growing. I saw the first sign of new mycelium growth on the 3rd day in one jar and on the 4th day of the second jar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MagicalCriminal

Love this. just the thought of cloning from dried vs having to buy new syringes is great. Yes I am spore printing, making fresh LC clones and agar dishes but its great to know there is another option.

El_Piraña
On 9/9/2019 at 4:49 PM, MagicalCriminal said:

Love this. just the thought of cloning from dried vs having to buy new syringes is great. Yes I am spore printing, making fresh LC clones and agar dishes but its great to know there is another option.

Yeah it’s pretty amazing that it’s even possible!

I love the look of mycelium growing in grain jars!  This is the AA+ four days after inoculation from agar wedges.

85918DD0-6442-423B-A9DB-0E73F8EA04A1.jpeg.23767020220f051889f39d00c6009a90.jpeg

I can see the grain is not hydrated perfectly, some of the grains have split open. Hopefully it’s good enough.

• Like 2

Mush Zombie

Good to see y’all back at it. Tuning in.

• Like 1

Robotard
1 minute ago, Mush Zombie said:

Good to see y’all back at it. Tuning in.

😜 then im dropping out!

• Like 1

El_Piraña

The AA+ and Ecuador agar jars look good. But I spotted contamination in the Burma jar today.

Luckily I still had two unused jars ready to go, so I went ahead and made a couple transfers, hopefully getting ahead before the contamination takes over. Here’s a pic of the Burma jar after I made the transfers.

29A40527-9565-49E7-A4C8-A0E5E9AA6FE7.jpeg.ecbc54fe90eed54b92a3713580448793.jpeg

Not sure why the mycelium on the left side is darker, just in case I made sure not to sample from that side.

• Like 2

MagicalCriminal

@El_Piraña I have some grown out plates that have pretty much dried out though they have been kept sealed. Thanks to you, I am going to try transferring some dried myc to a new plate and LC.

On LC, mine have grown a mat of myc on top. Since I now know how bad those lids leak and the myc is the dominant growth, I am hoping to keep the mat of myc as contamination control. Not sure if it will work but can't be any more crazy than growing from dried material.

• Like 1

El_Piraña
16 minutes ago, MagicalCriminal said:

@El_Piraña I have some grown out plates that have pretty much dried out though they have been kept sealed. Thanks to you, I am going to try transferring some dried myc to a new plate and LC.

On LC, mine have grown a mat of myc on top. Since I now know how bad those lids leak and the myc is the dominant growth, I am hoping to keep the mat of myc as contamination control. Not sure if it will work but can't be any more crazy than growing from dried material.

Good idea, and if you post it I would like to see what kind of results you get. I’d recommend going from dried myc to agar first just to be sure you spot any contamination. Maybe it’s not such a concern though since you’ve kept your agar plates sealed.

to tell you the truth, Trying to clone from old dried fruits never even crossed my mind until I came across someone else attempting the same thing. So I thought, what the hell, can’t hurt to try! I loved the trips I had with Burma strain so I’m happy to have it going again.

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

@El_PirañaI will. Due to recent change in circumstances, I think I will be limited to playing with myc. Well everything but fruiting.  ☹️

Still plenty to learn just in agar and LC though. Maybe my area will become a new wild mushroom mecca from all the slurry and grain I will be tossing around. Hehe

• Like 1

El_Piraña

After a couple days the jars are recovering. These two look good:

C9143CEF-D02C-4AE1-AD34-170AFE531909.jpeg.591adef52789c37c743eaf67050554bd.jpeg

83993C9F-DFA2-4F64-B796-25E184A0F9BC.jpeg.5adfd5351153a783f19cd0709f22513d.jpeg

The third jar looks suspicious to me. I’m going to keep an eye on these spots:

188C6211-1428-4D10-BFF9-BA0B03EDC1B2.jpeg.8ce50c39229f71ff228ec3ea4cac05c8.jpeg

60527D0F-2DBC-4885-B205-F955B7152FF3.jpeg.e86003c92323149eb5c443e9db56e7f0.jpeg

7E23AF8F-7124-47F5-A660-7CE3B86DB391.jpeg.d1694e951b749638e42fc075e17fb0b8.jpeg

81B55F0A-AA8D-4AEF-ADA4-AF40422B85D6.jpeg.419634c939862e459a6b8cd99611da21.jpeg

• Like 2