• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

zodiacore

Mold or Mushroom Mycelium? (Panaeolus Cyanescens)

Question

zodiacore

This is a first time grain spawn using a spore syringe.

Can anyone please identify if this is more likely like a cobweb mold or mycelium?

20190907_163449.jpg

20190907_163503.jpg

20190907_163438.jpg

14 answers to this question

MycoPete

How many days has it been since inoculation in the pic?  That might be a clue.  I was thinking the first pic doesn't look good, but the last pic seems kind of normal looking.  

MagicalCriminal

I would wait before tossing. I always see some black grains in my oats so may not be Tam. Your time frame seems good for myc. Unless I am noccing with agar, I use syringe to grain. Works better than dry spores to grain since it keeps the spores close together instead of floating through the jar and rehydrates them.

I have sectioned good myc from a tammed bag but did it in a positive pressure bag and took a very small sample far from the tam

mushmouth

When you noc a grain jar with a MS during, you should aim for the glass on all four sides. Just a couple of drops per side.

go ahead and give those jars a good shaking.

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal

Lion's mane mycelium is very light and wispy, almost hairy. It really doesn't look like cube mycelium. I wish I had taken some pictures of the lion's mane mycelium I grew so you could compare

MagicalCriminal

More info needed.  Pics are a bit dark and blurry. 

zodiacore

It took about 10 days, and there seems to be black kernels in my grain, so I'm gonna go ahead and assume that's mold, and maybe not go spore syringe to grain next time.

Anyone know the average time for germination to grain using a spore syringe?

I have some semi-contaminated BRF cakes due to my overly contaminated house, so I'm gonna try and cut the good pieces off and throw them into a new grain jar.

Thanks for the responses guys.

MycoPete
On 9/11/2019 at 7:20 AM, zodiacore said:

2-3 days you should see growth.

I have some semi-contaminated BRF cakes due to my overly contaminated house, so I'm gonna try and cut the good pieces off and throw them into a new grain jar.

This is not a good idea.  If you have no other source material, put it on agar instead.

zodiacore

So, after some time I was able to more clearly see what was going on in that jar, and I'm pretty sure this is contaminated.

It's not the grains themselves that are black, but I see black dots on the grains that has to be bad.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:50 PM, mushmouth said:

When you noc a grain jar with a MS during, you should aim for the glass on all four sides. Just a couple of drops per side.

go ahead and give those jars a good shaking.

If I do it again with spores to grain, I'm gonna take your advice mushmouth. Thanks, and nice username haha

There's something white growing in the other jars at this point, and I'm afraid of opening it up when they're fully colonized and it being mold. Any sure fire ways of being able to tell? I've done cakes many times so I guess all I could do it compare the smell to that, but as far as looks go It's not the same milky white that I'm used to. Instead its fuzzier or "hairier", but I'm guessing that's because it's on grain?

• Like 1

zodiacore

Yeah, there's no question that it's contaminated. I'm getting some black dots in some of the other ones too.

MagicalCriminal

Not sure this is a positive way. I have had a couple of suspect fully colonized bags(or so they looked) upon breaking them up, a cloud of spores were released in the bag and the insides of the block was not white.

I don't see black specks in your vid, just black grains. Best way to tell is draw a circle on jar around a couple different black grains. Look again in a day or two. Did the black spread to adjacent grains?

Edited by MagicalCriminal
Add info

zodiacore

Yes, it for sure has. That ones getting thrown out. If you could see it in person you'd immediately know it's contaminated. That video was taken days ago. The other ones though... I still can't tell if it's a white mold or not. The only thing that alerts me of this is that the mycelium's formation is so different than on BRF cakes where its whiter and ropier.

MushroomMinister
On 9/11/2019 at 4:20 AM, zodiacore said:

It took about 10 days, and there seems to be black kernels in my grain, so I'm gonna go ahead and assume that's mold, and maybe not go spore syringe to grain next time.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I started to see fuzz only a few days after inoculation. I used wild bird seed in my jars and homemade lids, spores straight to WBS, no problems thus far. 

zodiacore

I wish you luck.

It would just be nice to know if this were mold or mushroom mycelium. The hairiness of it worries me, but then again I don't know if it's just because it's on grain.

This is from the lions mane jar.

20190915_065230.jpg

MycoPete

I don't see anything alarming in the pic.  Give it more time.