Jump to content
  • Welcome Guest!

    Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Recommended Posts

GoodGary

Hi everybody!

I recently started growing cubes and I believe my first flush (start to finish all alone) will be here any day now. So far everything looks and smells very healthy so, while not finished yet,  I'm confident I will be able to replicate these results time and time again. Cubes seem very easy and as such was a great starting place.

My question here is, what else can I grow? I'm interested, for the sake of this post, in other psilocybe species only. My brother and I are interested in branching out as most, if not all, of our experiences have been with the study of cubes only. I'm interested in obtaining something unique and learning about the different species and their characteristics/preferences along the way. I've read around a bit and Panaleous Tropicalis seems like a logical next step and not too different from Cubes,  but I want your opinions and in a thread where I can respond and ask questions is ideal. 

So, if you HAD to give me an order of several other species to attempt and grow how would you order them and what growing method would you use or do you recommend? What do these other species need that cubes don't, or what preferences do they have i.e. inc temp, fruit temp, fae/humidity preference, etc...  On a scale of most like growing cubes to vastly different then growing cubes what order would you put them in? Difficulty level? I am not opposed to attempting something vastly different from cubes but I feel a slow reach out would be easier than a giant leap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MagicalCriminal

In no particular order.

Volcano, vendor name. Unsure of strain. easy grow, good producer, mellow study, very enjoyable.

KSS, easy grow, ok producer but high weight, look funky, fairly heavy body loady, study rings your bell. Heavy visuals, shorter study time.

GT your basic cube, nothing special.

Wavy cap, p. Cyan, medium difficulty, not for indoor grows, wood lover. My favorite study when I lived in PNW, potent.

Current grow PE, my 1st time trying to cultivate. So far easy. Looking forward to study.

Wanna grow- several of the Mexicana strains. Ck forum for scloratia bearing mush. The one beginning with G appears to be crazy easy and super potent. 

That's all the help I can give. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoodGary
17 minutes ago, MagicalCriminal said:

In no particular order.

Volcano, vendor name. Unsure of strain. easy grow, good producer, mellow study, very enjoyable.

KSS, easy grow, ok producer but high weight, look funky, fairly heavy body loady, study rings your bell. Heavy visuals, shorter study time.

GT your basic cube, nothing special.

Wavy cap, p. Cyan, medium difficulty, not for indoor grows, wood lover. My favorite study when I lived in PNW, potent.

Current grow PE, my 1st time trying to cultivate. So far easy. Looking forward to study.

Wanna grow- several of the Mexicana strains. Ck forum for scloratia bearing mush. The one beginning with G appears to be crazy easy and super potent. 

That's all the help I can give. 

I appreciate the feedback but you mentioned GT, PE which are just sub-varieties of cubes. I'm looking for species other than cubes and ones that would be a good next step for indoor grow, then a good next step after that and so on. Species, not variety. Sticking to indoor grows for now but I'm interested in Cyan's. What is the reason for not growing those indoors? I'd love to grow some super potent species, may be best to stick with poo lovers though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MagicalCriminal

Sorry about that I misunderstood. and in that case I'm not going to be very much good to you at all. LOL

Nobody has had much luck growing cyan indoors. Who knows you might figure it out. I've got an outdoor bed growing right now and hoping for fruits either this fall or next spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bojack

Not sure if you can grow Azurescens indoors from what I have seen it seems like it might be hard.  And if you can find “liberty bells”  P. Semilanceata that was the coolest study I have ever had. Not sure if those can be done indoors either.  But I will try if I can get spores and after I get my cubes down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MycoPete

Is your goal to see if you can get the same psychoactive compounds from a species that is harder and slower to grow?  If not, can you explain your goal?  How about growing some shiitake and reishi and lion's mane instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bojack

Yes from the research I have done is that those species have a much higher percentage of active ingredients.  And I  want to get into the research of how psylicybin helps ptsd and depression.  Eventually I want to get to shiitake and portabellos, and maybe super long term try some way to figure out morel mushrooms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MycoPete
6 minutes ago, Bojack said:

Yes from the research I have done is that those species have a much higher percentage of active ingredients.  And I  want to get into the research of how psylicybin helps ptsd and depression.  Eventually I want to get to shiitake and portabellos, and maybe super long term try some way to figure out morel mushrooms. 

OK, so some species (like cyans) have higher actives, but its only about 33% higher, and they are much harder to grow and slower as well.  If your goal is to collect a lot of psilocybin, then you are already working with the right species, nothing beats cubes, that's why everyone grows them.  If you want 30 lbs in less than 2 months, cubes can easily do that (using five large totes that can fit in a closet or under a table).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bojack

Oh well then I guess I will stick with my 4 Strains I got going then.  I am definitely interested In these crystal things that i have been researching. (Sounds better than eating a handful of mushrooms) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MagicalCriminal

Personally I am saving my detritus for a try at COG. I wouldn't waste good mush on a tek that is iffy.

Edited by MagicalCriminal
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoodGary
11 hours ago, MycoPete said:

Is your goal to see if you can get the same psychoactive compounds from a species that is harder and slower to grow?  If not, can you explain your goal?  How about growing some shiitake and reishi and lion's mane instead?

I'm interested in those as well but I have a particular interest in psilocybe for obvious reasons. I guess i am curious? I guess I want to branch out? I like being challenged. I don't know, I just want to try other species. I'm a photographer as well and I'll be taking pictures as I work in this. 

15 hours ago, MagicalCriminal said:

Sorry about that I misunderstood. and in that case I'm not going to be very much good to you at all. LOL

Nobody has had much luck growing cyan indoors. Who knows you might figure it out. I've got an outdoor bed growing right now and hoping for fruits either this fall or next spring.

I would like to try and figure it out. What makes them so hard to grow? They are dung lovers from what I understand so the substrate couldn't be to hard to work out. What conditions do they require to grow? Isn't it lower fruiting temps and higher FAE?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MagicalCriminal

Psilocybin cyanescens are wood lovers. They fruit between 55 and 65 degrees. But even in controlled grow rooms most people find them difficult or impossible to fruit. Mycelium is easy to grow in supplemented sawdust. They are a fairly slow growing strain and at this time I don't have the resources to dedicate oh that would probably fail. Hence I started an outdoor bed cuz they really are good study. The bed is lasagna layered rehydrated hardwood pellets, spawn, cardboard, and topped with Coco coir to retain moisture and provide cooling due to the area I live. A picture of the bed can be found in growlog number two

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
El_Piraña
1 hour ago, GoodGary said:

 

I would like to try and figure it out. What makes them so hard to grow? They are dung lovers from what I understand so the substrate couldn't be to hard to work out. What conditions do they require to grow? Isn't it lower fruiting temps and higher FAE?

@GoodGary it seems you are referring to panaeolus cyanescens and @MagicalCriminal you are referring to psilocybe cyanescens. I think this is where the disconnect is in your responses.  Panaeolus (copelandia) can be grown indoors.  The wood lovers like p. Cyan that MagicalCriminal refers to are difficult to grow indoors (as he stated above.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bojack
4 hours ago, MagicalCriminal said:

Personally I am saving my detritus for a try at COG. I wouldn't waste good mush on a tek that is iffy.

Yeah I am still super new to this I have no idea what Detritus is haha. But one day we will figure it out it sounds cool to try and mess around with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MagicalCriminal

Lol. It's the bit with all the dirt attached to it that you really don't want to eat. After my Mush is dry I trim off the ends and toss them in a separate bag. They'll work fine 40 but I don't want to eat anything with grit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoodGary
1 hour ago, El_Piraña said:

@GoodGary it seems you are referring to panaeolus cyanescens and @MagicalCriminal you are referring to psilocybe cyanescens. I think this is where the disconnect is in your responses.  Panaeolus (copelandia) can be grown indoors.  The wood lovers like p. Cyan that MagicalCriminal refers to are difficult to grow indoors (as he stated above.)

Ah that makes sense... Thank you for clearing that up. Anything special for those?

This thread did not go the way I was expecting haha. I was hoping someone who knows species and growing teks well would be able to say something along the lines of "Try ____ next, they are very similar to cubes with the exception on ____. Next maybe _____. You have to fruit at a low temp but f you can do that your golden. Then there is _____, a very difficult species to grow but I have seen it done. Avoid ___ and ____, not even worth your time and impossible to grow consistently."

Meh, wishful thinking. I just wanna try different species man...  People just assume I want the most psilocybin I can get. I understand cubes can do that, maybe I just want to explore this hobby of mycology and learn something along the way... hmmm? lol Maybe most cubes look the same and I wanna see the other beauties out there. Just the experience of studying them is intriguing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MagicalCriminal

If you want to try different species and actives is not your goal then go for gourmets. There are many gourmets and medicinals that have different grow needs that cover the entire spectrum of difficulty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoodGary
4 hours ago, MagicalCriminal said:

If you want to try different species and actives is not your goal then go for gourmets. There are many gourmets and medicinals that have different grow needs that cover the entire spectrum of difficulty.

Yea and I will explore them as well. I'm mostly interested in psilocybin and psylocin containing ones first, again for obvious reasons. I like the study and I use them as teachers. For instance, I just learned about sclerotia and Psilocybe Mexicana. That is the kind of info I'm looking for. Looks fairly easy to work with and in addition to fruit bodies I can also get "truffles" from them. That's exciting and new and I'm excited to try and work with them now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MycoPete
On 9/11/2019 at 12:13 AM, Bojack said:

Oh well then I guess I will stick with my 4 Strains I got going then.  I am definitely interested In these crystal things that i have been researching. (Sounds better than eating a handful of mushrooms) 

If by "crystal things" you mean crystals of the gods forget it.  Its been debunked over and over again, those "crystals" are mushroom proteins, and not active, some people mistakenly believe they are active because they are bathed in a concentrated tincture.  If you want a tincture, there are easier ways to do it (just a hot water or alcohol+water soak and coffee filter out the solids at the end is all you need for that).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bojack

Perfect thanks yeah I am just looking for different ways to take them.  I am gonna try soaking in honey, i hate tea so I was kinda hoping if I just boiled them in water or hot cocoa or something then it would achieve the same thing.  I will keep my research up though.  Thanks for the heads up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
El_Piraña
24 minutes ago, MagicalCriminal said:

I have a little bit of onion powder and garlic salt and have a pretty Kick-Ass broth. LOL

Hahaha that’s awesome! I never heard of something like this but I might have to give it a try!  Lately I’ve been making tea with honey added, but I still don’t care for the flavor - I immediately follow up with brushing my teeth lol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MagicalCriminal

 

57 minutes ago, El_Piraña said:

Hahaha that’s awesome! I never heard of something like this but I might have to give it a try!  Lately I’ve been making tea with honey added, but I still don’t care for the flavor - I immediately follow up with brushing my teeth lol.

I have found (and it's probably just me) sweeteners don't cover the flavor as much as accent it.  First time I tried it was with KSS because the way they grow seems prone to holding dirt. Another flavor I am not fond of.

Really thinking of starting with chicken stock next time.. and maybe a dash of the Red Boat shown in my avatar. That stuff gives fantastic umami flavor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robotard
1 hour ago, MagicalCriminal said:

That stuff gives fantastic umami flavor.

Fish sauce and shrooms? Ooooo mommy 🤮!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MagicalCriminal
2 hours ago, Robotard said:

Fish sauce and shrooms? Ooooo mommy 🤮!

It's evident that either you have never had good fish sauce or have no idea how to use it. Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...