• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Blurrr

Just a few pics from today wanderings

Blurrr

Wish I weren’t so clueless as to how to ID what I found 😂

Anyhoo...

8082FE8E-D0E3-4F2B-9204-38AFA89C8F99.thumb.jpeg.29e2d1df321c502d1a3ccfee859958ff.jpeg

9CE70EC5-9196-4F6C-837A-2713D66A5876.thumb.jpeg.fe93b7f1facf528ab5e22e9b7f2b186f.jpeg

BE56A809-C98B-4137-AC1D-C38104A10C48.thumb.jpeg.7747e11cbd67fd622909af0634f92801.jpeg

And I don’t know WHAT the phuck THIS is but I brought it home to pick at it...

CB796ACF-A9A9-46E2-A4CC-B695E1D3E57E.jpeg.c54e222b8d7ad29090d901656765a783.jpeg

• Like 1

El_Piraña

Awesome! I love to see the variety and uniqueness of fungi, never gets old.

• Like 1

Robotard

Good finds, Southern Brother. Dont eat them. Dont ask what they are because nobody can truly tell. If you want certainty, grow them yourself! Forget strains and whatnot. Understand that fungi are not plants, regardless if they are on a pizza.

One of my biggest hang-ups has been not understanding exactly how different of a lifeform they are. They trick you into thinking they are plants. However, their care is sooooooooo much more.

Mush Love , brother.

As for ID. Learn to print. You will probably need some colored paper because not all spore are bluish to brownish. And thats exactly what any feild-guide would describe them. 

You REALLY need to know what you are holding.

There are old mycologists, and there are bold mycologists. Never both.

A quote from either Wasson or Stamets.

Cant remember cuz i dont eat toadstools

• Like 1

Blurrr

Thanks -

Yeah, I've pretty well decided that whatever I find out and about will be for my eyes and not my mouth.

Ima grow me some! 👍 Just gotta know where to start. Joining this forum was Step One....

The book I bought said the same thing - mushrooms aren't plants, they're "the fruiting bodies of mycelium".

Apparently, there's a patch of mycelium in the Northwest that covers just over 3 square miles. 😳

DonkeyHote

The top one is some kind of bolete. The second one is a withered piece of shit. The third one is a bolete being colonized by hypomyces fungus. Don't eat.

• Like 1

Blurrr
16 hours ago, DonkeyHote said:

The third one is a bolete being colonized by hypomyces fungus. Don't eat.

WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!

Thanks for HINTS that pointed me in the right direction - I appreciate it.

The fungus is called "Bolete Eater" - specifically...

IMG_E0777.jpg.dce100f843b4aaedf92326c9760fb937.jpg

Also...
 -  using your bolete hint, tried to ID with my Carolinas field guide but it was too old for me to feel confident as to exactly which bolete it is.
- yes, the second one is withered and old but I liked the pic, included it in the post and brought it home to do a spore print so that I could continue learning. If I feel confident in ID, I may return to mycelium patch to see if any more have formed so I can get a better specimen. We had a nice, long misty rain last night.
- got jealous of the bolete eater's talent.... it turned that old bolete rock hard and as a 50 year old, wish I could get that rock hard when needed. 😂

Thanks again - 👍

DonkeyHote

I sometimes go out foraging, but I usually find the most interesting stuff while I'm walking my dogs. I think the middle one is a laccaria of some kind. It looks like an old specimen of this mushroom right here. Buy a field guide that is specific to your area. Take a paper bag or a small basket along with you to hold samples. I like those cheap Opinel knives for collection. Cut it off at the base to avoid collecting a bunch of dirt in your bag. 

IMG_3206.JPG

• Like 1

Robotard

Id still like to caution anyone interested in foraging for wild/edible varieties of mushroom. Every year i read about "experts", (and thats a big quote, unquote) who mistakenly ingest what they assumed safe, based upon prior experience, knowledge, or whatever. The mycotoxins contained within some species, often look-alikes of edible species, take some time to establish any sort of physical symptom in the human body. 

You could ingest a mushroom that you are certain of, only to find out a few days later that the cells of your liver have been destroyed. All while you feel no physical symptoms. Then...

Bang! You might survive, might not.

Unless you are completely sure by printing and examining the spores under a microscope, you can never be certain of what you ingest. 

That said, please keep up with pics of your walks in the wilderness. Noone can safely give an I.D. as to the species or safety of the specimens you may stumble across. And im pretty sure that is one of our standing rules. We do NOT I.D. mushrooms! 

For your health and safety. Mush love for all of you.

• Like 1

Blurrr

Thanks for reminder, @Robotard

I am not going to ingest anything I find out in the wild. I'ma take your advice and GMO - 👍

Went to a pizza buffet yesterday. They had a stack of some free "happenings around town" newspaper just inside the door. I grabbed one and laughed. Why? It's a family place - "wholesome", you might say. The front cover of the paper had a beautiful picture of 3 Amanita Muscarias on it .... I wanted so badly to tell somebody in the restaurant that their free reading material had psychedelic mushrooms on the cover but.... I just couldn't bring myself to do it. 😂😂😂😂

Later!

• Like 1