• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

rastakess304

Spore solution to agar 😮

rastakess304

Here’s what apparently happens when you take a spore syringe from a reputable vendor and drop waaaaay too much (.5cc) on agar lol. Didn’t expect it to work but I guess it did. 

Mycelium or mold? The world may never know. Lol. Nah, but forreal I’ll know within a few more days😂. (PESA strain for me has always started out kinda wispy, then gets more rhizo after its well established. I don’t think it’s cobweb) 

image.jpg

• Like 1

rastakess304
7 minutes ago, MagicalCriminal said:

You might want to try parafilm to seal your dishes. It allows FAE , I don't think masking tape does. 1 roll seems to last forever  because you stretch it as you wrap. IIRC it only takes about 2" to seal the plate.

Yea I’m def gonna look into that. I wasn’t prepared this time around lol 

rastakess304

Obviously there’s no way to tell without some type of expertise/another couple of transfers, but how does this look for a spore solution after the amount of time that’s elapsed from the date on the dish?

@MagicalCriminal @mushmouth

image.jpg

God I hate the way that tape looks lol

• Like 2

MagicalCriminal

Sorry been dealing with life. Did you spray the plate with spore solution? Normally I dont get scattering like that. It grows from the single drop I place.

rastakess304

Yea it completely sloshed around the plate 

20 minutes ago, MagicalCriminal said:

Sorry been dealing with life. Did you spray the plate with spore solution? Normally I dont get scattering like that. It grows from the single drop I place.

MagicalCriminal
Just now, rastakess304 said:

Yea it completely sloshed around the plate 

Ok, looks more normal with that info. I second @El_Piraña advise. 

• Like 2

rastakess304

@El_Piraña @MagicalCriminal  So I was able to isolate some really rhizo growth from that spore plate.  After I had cleaned it up via like literally 20 plates, I took a fully colonized plate and cut it into four pieces and directly inoculated four grain jars from one plate. 

Bearing in mind that there was no visible contamination on the agar,  I was astonished to find that two of the four jars had a single green grain in them (trich). 

Because of the fact there was no visible contamination on the plates, could it be most likely that the contamination was picked up during the transfer? The other two jars seem to be fine. 

I’m basically just wondering because if there is trichoderma  on a plate that looks clean, then maybe I’m not doing the agar-tek right.  The plate looked like the cleanest, most beautiful rhizomorphic growth.  I’m just really hoping that there wasnt “invisible” trichoderma on my seemingly clean plate.