• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Zarathustra

Plateau in growth and looking slimy when missed

Zarathustra

Hello my community.   First time grow.

My mono tubs are still looking clean and white. (Dark spots are my substrate peaking through)  Im just not sure if it's a bad sign that they are holding on to droplets of water and getting a wet, flattened slimy look. They were moved from 1/2 pint jars and mixed into the substrate a little over a week ago.  Advice on what to improve from here would be greatly appreciated.  Am I still on the right track? 

I have kept my house temp rather cold, am misting two or three times per day depending in if i work.  The substrate is composted manuar, vermiculite and a little bit of gypsum. Casing is perlite. 

I know a lot of people drill holes and stuff them with cotton.  Other remarks advize against it so i have just been cracking the lid for half the day but I am in the sonoran desert and it dries out super fast so I shortened that to a couple of hours. It doesn't feel right though.  

I'm an anxious mother..trying not to be a helicopter parent.  

Everything I have read seems to contradict.  

Oh this is koh samui(the close up) and golden teacher(first pic).

15717953454651075715060697033444.jpg

15717954808605007853492889908819.jpg

Mist* ! Not missed. 

Good greif. 

MagicalCriminal

Is that perlite as a casing? perlite is a soil amendment  for getting air below the soil surface and only holds water on the outside of the granules. Vermiculite is a glass sponge and holds many times it weight in water internally slowly releasing it to maintain moisture and humidity. I ask because I don't see any fluffy that proceeds a solid white myc and I would expect the grains to be grown together with myc.

As for teks, this forum has many tried and true teks. Follow the one you choose to the letter and results will be good.  Wait until you have a few grows under your belt before experimenting away from a tek that has already been proven by many people.

Zarathustra

It is perlite casing yes. I have vermiculite mixed in.  Should I add some to the casing layer??

Mycomeso

I’m not sure perlite as a casing will bring about proper conditions for the pinning part of your grow.Could you link the tek and where it says use perlite ? Yes you’ll find mucho contradictory info in many different sources but your best bet when your just starting out is to find a TEK that tickles your fancy and follow it to a T... No creative add-ons least til you get it downpact you know? I found BRf cakes to be a super beneficial tek that really gives good insight to various stages of mushroom growth. Good luck!!!

• Like 1

Zarathustra

It's not a link it's a book page. 

Anyways it's all colonized underneath save a couple patches and I don't want to over colonize. My main concern is the shiny flattened look. Is it a bad sign? 

The parts that pop up do this after a day. 

I attached a close up. If it is a bad sign I'm thinking I should remix into a dif substrate recipe and repeat colonization. Then put the casing from the bulk Tek on here. Would that be a bad idea? 

Screenshot_20191023-221243.png

IMG_20191023_220246907.jpg

5 hours ago, Mycomeso said:

I’m not sure perlite as a casing will bring about proper conditions for the pinning part of your grow.Could you link the tek and where it says use perlite ? Yes you’ll find mucho contradictory info in many different sources but your best bet when your just starting out is to find a TEK that tickles your fancy and follow it to a T... No creative add-ons least til you get it downpact you know? I found BRf cakes to be a super beneficial tek that really gives good insight to various stages of mushroom growth. Good luck!!!

I get what your saying and I saw that elsewhere recommended as well. I work in an iso 5 clean room under a laminar flow hood so my sterile prep is mastered already and I was following a tek but I think it's outdated possibly. It's the psilocybin hand book Tek. One of them. I also have access to a stack of agar plates I nabbed from work about to expire. I'm considering splicing a peice into one to see if anything narly grows. Then I'll know for sure if this is some infection or mildew and if not then I have back up of this particular spore set.  Seems like a win win outside of it meaning I'm effing with a delicate eco system to do it.  

Don't be afraid to be firm with me if I'm about to do something dumb. 

If I get a solid sample I will try the brf cake method with it. Thanks Mycomeso.

Mush Zombie

If your book says use perlite in a casing, throw it away. 

We have tons of free teks here. You won’t be losing anything 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mycomeso

Keep us posted on how this perlite casing goes if you follow through with it.....Just kinda want to stress this, cause see it to often.If your following a tek FOLLOW The TEK(No creative substitutions!)Least til your comfortable with whole process and you inherently know what’s going on.You even said it yourself you were planning on possibly substitution of certain sub ingredients an when you do that your no longer “following a Tek” your wingin it and going cowboy on us. Not all Teks but some have specific ingredients for their particular setup, so you can’t really be swapping this for that and hoping for similar results.

Wishing ya mush love!

• Like 1

MagicalCriminal
On 10/24/2019 at 12:18 AM, Zarathustra said:

It's not a link it's a book page. 

Anyways it's all colonized underneath save a couple patches and I don't want to over colonize. My main concern is the shiny flattened look. Is it a bad sign? 

The parts that pop up do this after a day. 

I attached a close up. If it is a bad sign I'm thinking I should remix into a dif substrate recipe and repeat colonization. Then put the casing from the bulk Tek on here. Would that be a bad idea? 

Screenshot_20191023-221243.png

IMG_20191023_220246907.jpg

I get what your saying and I saw that elsewhere recommended as well. I work in an iso 5 clean room under a laminar flow hood so my sterile prep is mastered already and I was following a tek but I think it's outdated possibly. It's the psilocybin hand book Tek. One of them. I also have access to a stack of agar plates I nabbed from work about to expire. I'm considering splicing a peice into one to see if anything narly grows. Then I'll know for sure if this is some infection or mildew and if not then I have back up of this particular spore set.  Seems like a win win outside of it meaning I'm effing with a delicate eco system to do it.  

Don't be afraid to be firm with me if I'm about to do something dumb. 

If I get a solid sample I will try the brf cake method with it. Thanks Mycomeso.

I carefully read the excerpt of your book and saw no mention of perelite.  Maybe I wasn't careful enough and missed it.

Your close up shows the slimy part you spoke of initially. Looks like healthy runners of myc traveling out from it. I surmise condensation pooled on the myc, and the perelite drained it away from areas without the surface myc.

• Like 1

Zarathustra
On 10/25/2019 at 12:07 AM, MagicalCriminal said:

I carefully read the excerpt of your book and saw no mention of perelite.  Maybe I wasn't careful enough and missed it.

Your close up shows the slimy part you spoke of initially. Looks like healthy runners of myc traveling out from it. I surmise condensation pooled on the myc, and the perelite drained it away from areas without the surface myc.

You're right. I must have been tired I pic'd the wrong recipe's. It describes the difference between the two and says they both work. I'm planning on sticking to vermiculite which I already had. I went and got perlite specifically for casing so..I guess that wasn't necessary.    The plus side is it's already sterile. I think that was the initial draw to me.

But!! I've done a bit more research and found out that hitting the dew point too often prevents evaporation from the cells which is imperative for healthy myc. It will kill the cells and it will look like putty. People often mistake it for contam. I stepped up my fanning game, reeled in the misting a bit and the slimy parts still look damaged but healthy spikey little heads are popping up all over that look so much better. I included a pic of both next to each other.

I need to keep it consistantly slightly warmer to avoid hitting dew points over and over. So... Yeah. If anyone else is having this problem, there you go. 

If the myc is collecting drops of water it's getting damaged. I'm now in a phlox like formation the proceeds pinning. 

Getting excited. 

1572082625436568748391.jpg

• Like 1

Zarathustra

TBH I don't have to be that tired to make whacky ass ADHD fueled mistakes like that. I'm constantly preoccupied. 

I found pages on perlite but it's not for casing. Proves to me that 99 percent of my reality is my imagination. 

I'm an artist! I don't deal in facts!  

Tattoing "noob" onto my forehead rn. 

MagicalCriminal

LOL we have all made mistakes. I screwed up so many bags trying to get my moisture content right. But you just keep plugging along and make corrections as you go. 

• Like 2

Zarathustra

So I tipped the perlite into the outside of what's left of my black colonization bags, so it's at the bottom outer rims separate from the substrate and all that. The idea is how ultrasonic humidifiers work is they increase surface area of the water by causing the constant ripple. That gives it a lot more surface potential to evaporate from well same thing with the relocated perlite. I replaced it with vermiculite because nothing was happening and the next day my first pin popped out!!!!!

Now there are three. So now I'm wondering if its normal for Koh samui to be way way slower than golden teacher?  And temps are dropping at night to high 60s low 70s outside. I have a small space heater in case it drops TOO crazy.  Should I think about building an incubator? it's a little late in the game maybe....or is it a game changer?  tell me the way oh wise ones.

20191030_023355.jpg

• Like 1

Zarathustra

I just realized I never even responded to this.  I was like holy shnikies that's now! And scampered away. I appreciate very much.  Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1