• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Blurrr

First attempt: Wanna follow 6qt DubTub method but don't wanna buy PC...

Robotard

You do not have to wait to pc your jars of wbs. Do them up accordingly to the tek your following and then pop them babies in the fridge. I do the same with sub and casing if i cant use it right away.

And i know birdseed is cheap but no sense in just wasting it. Cuz im really not sure keeping it wet that long wont just ruin it, along with whatever spores you are using.

Blurrr
On 10/28/2019 at 2:45 PM, Mush Zombie said:

No. Fine verm holds way more water than coarse. You’re better of not using any verm in the spawn 

If vermiculite pulls moisture out of the WBS, is there a danger that the WBS will be too wet if I don't  use the coarse?

I don't know what a BRF cake is.... 😕 I can just set this fine verm to the side in case I need it later to try that out.

I would like to stay on the WBS path.

So....Do you:
- think I can save enough of what I have after getting the fine vermiculite out?
- think I should dump out what I have and buy another bag of bird seed?

And just to confirm - I can create WBS spawn without using vermiculite at all?

Robotard
6 hours ago, Blurrr said:

If vermiculite pulls moisture out of the WBS, is there a danger that the WBS will be too wet if I don't  use the coarse?

I don't know what a BRF cake is.... 😕 I can just set this fine verm to the side in case I need it later to try that out.

I would like to stay on the WBS path.

So....Do you:
- think I can save enough of what I have after getting the fine vermiculite out?
- think I should dump out what I have and buy another bag of bird seed?

And just to confirm - I can create WBS spawn without using vermiculite at all?

There are a couple teks for using wbs. I prefer the ns/ns method. No soak. No simmer. The bottom layer of verm is there for any excess moisture, which could cause you many problems in this venture. 

You have no spores yet, as youve said. Trying to have all the other carts before the one horse you need is only going to cause you much frustration, and probably failure. 

If you want to get a head start on this venture, have a place where you can incubate at the correct temps., use/build a fruiting area and start getting it sanitized. Prep more lids. Wash your jars. But until you have the seeds, quit digging holes in the ground, otherwise you will walk outside one evening and twist and break your ankle. Just trying to save you some frustration and waste of money.

BTW. Wbs is the worst choice for grain, IMO. Its messy stuff and better left for the birds. Its a cheaper alternative for starting up, ill agree. But do some web surfing and you can find better options. 

• Like 2

Sonshyn

I tend to agree with @Robotard I’ve done wbs and popcorn . Popcorn is pricier but factor in the time of wbs not to mention the wasted parts and get back to me . I’ve got a popcorn thread if you wanna read through my notes . The popcorn tek on here is good but missing a couple points . 

• Like 1

Robotard

Popcorn is awesome. Plus, already sterile, ready for human consumption.

Edited by Robotard
Fat fingers

El_Piraña

Popcorn is convenient, you can find it anywhere. And nothing to clean, which is nice.

• Like 1

Blurrr

If you've gotta lotta patience and have kept up with this noob thread, you're already aware of the problem I had finding vermiculite locally. The reason for that is the size of the town where I live. Essentially, I have Walmart, Tractor Supply and Lowe's Hardware (as opposed to Lowe's Foods).

I see were a couple of you guys have mentioned popcorn. I'm a complete noob to ALL of this and have to rely on what I read. What confuses me about corn is that, while looking into using WBS, it was recommended to choose a WBS WITHOUT corn in it because the corn "turned to mush". Also, I read on another site that popcorn is not literally used - instead, "popcorn" is what the dried corn is referred to. Including this to say that the variations that come with "growing your own" is nice but that the simple fact of all the variations tend to be confusing - at least for me. That's where experience comes in and experience is what I'm missing ..... until I do it for myself. :P

So I have taken all the input from this thread, considered what I currently have (material, space, etc.) and decided to "drop back and punt". Instead of the WBS method, I think the correct choice (and least expensive) is to make some BRF cakes(? - is that what I'm making?) using the fine vermiculite and brown rice "flour" (that I have made using brown rice and a coffee grinder).

And @Robotard nailed it - I have a very bad tendency to be so excited about some new interest that I tend to do things out of order, all at once. I'm not going to do another thing until I have my syringes in hand. Hoping they're here today. :)

• Like 1

Robotard

Popcorn, as in the stuff you pop the ol fashioned way. The cracked corn contained in some bird food does turn to mush, and better to avoid brands that contain it. But the el cheapo stuff usually does contain some amount. But that wasnt my point, really. There are other grains available besides wbs. Rye berries, oats, etc.

I was only commenting on you soaking the wbs for who-knows-how-long in anticipation of getting spores. I just dont believe the seed will be good after soaking for such an extended period than what is prescribed. And please dont be fooled by this hobby being called a "hobby." Its a lot, a lot, of work sometimes.

And i cant speak on doing brf tek. Its held no interest for me at this point, mostly because i feel it is more "technical" than growing in a bulk style. And your yields will not compare. But to that point, you should determine what your ultimate end is, what are you looking for. Enough for personal consumption only. Maybe some for a few close friends. Or maybe turn the water tower in your town into one big-ass cup of shroom tea, perhaps? 

I guess my only advice at this juncture:

Choose a tek. Choose a spore. Choose a substrate. Decide whether you will need to case your substrate; many teks pretty much require a casing layer. And as far as vermiculite, as MZ has pointed out, you might be better off forgoing.

And please, and i cant stress this enough. Read. And then read some more. Have ALL supplies at hand before you start. And you really dont need any other site to look for the information required for shrooming. Its all here in the forums. Not saying that there isnt other useful info that can help. Learn to run before you fly! Mush love, Brother.

• Like 2

El_Piraña
10 hours ago, Blurrr said:

I see were a couple of you guys have mentioned popcorn. I'm a complete noob to ALL of this and have to rely on what I read. What confuses me about corn is that, while looking into using WBS, it was recommended to choose a WBS WITHOUT corn in it because the corn "turned to mush". Also, I read on another site that popcorn is not literally used - instead, "popcorn" is what the dried corn is referred to.

@Robotard is right, it’s literally the popcorn that you used before microwave popcorn took over lol they actually still sell this in the grocery stores.

9223223F-0736-4A65-945E-B5851EFDA50F.jpeg.00be50330e1a6086819ebf52b6e79931.jpeg

Blurrr

I gotta be honest guys .... there's a lot of conflicting information out there. UGH!

Really tough for someone new, who wants to learn by reading. And I'm sure it's frustrating for you guys too - when we noobs don't know anything and have to ask.

Ultimately, I just need to read what I can, plan a path, stick to it and know I'm going to make mistakes along the way.

I was leaning towards going using a coffee grinder to grind Brown Rice into a flour and make cakes. But you two guys are saying I should use popcorn instead?

• Like 2

Mush Zombie

everyone has an opinion on spawn.

the wbs that is suggested in the tek is easy to find just about everywhere in North America. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at that. That makes it very easy for everyone to get started. 

I don’t like popcorn as spawn. I’d rather eat it. That is my opinion. WBS works. It worked before 95% of people here knew they could grow mushrooms at home. That is a fact. WBS is fine. Experiment with other spawns after you get some successful tubs under your belt and you use up what spawn you already have. Then you can find your favorite spawn that you think is the best.

• Like 2

Blurrr

Thanks for post @Mush Zombie - and thanks to @El_Piraña, @Robotard and @Sonshyn too.

After waking and baking this morning, I thought about how my "Beginning Computer Skills" students at the local community college got more confused when I showed them all the various options there are to do the same thing on a PC. Left-clicking, Right-clicking, Ctrl+clicking, Keyboard shortcuts.... I learned to not even mention them.

Now I'm thinking about how Henry Ford used to say "You can have any color you want as long as you choose black" when the Model A came out.

So with @Mush Zombie's "use up what spawn you already have" and the fact that I'm ready to complete the inoculation step so I can forget about these jars for 10-14 days....

Once my syringes get here, I'm going to use the WBS I have.

The reason I'm doing that is because if I choose another path - whether making brown rice flour cakes or using popcorn - I would have to go spend money on something (either jars or popcorn).

So - I'm going to pressure cook the WBS I soaked overnight last Saturday. I'll do it for at least 90 minutes at 15 pounds. That should kill the white mold that seems to like whatever food's in there now.

Some of the seeds have germinated.

I'm thinking that, in nature, the mycelium I'm hoping to fruit grows in rotting leaves and wood chips. Has anyone tried PC'ed WBS that has been wet for a week?

Also, the spawn jars have fine vermiculite in them. A few days ago, read a comment in this thread about fine vermiculite absorbing too much water. All the jars have condensation in the empty top 1" of the jar.

8D3713CB-C336-47C9-899A-946FE873AA9C.jpeg.a8b37e68b118726aa9fa73d532175ff0.jpeg