• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Samwise

Trouble extracting LC (issue with syringe filters in lids)...any suggestions?

Samwise

Hi All,

I'm having a reoccurring and highly frustrating issue with my LC jars when attempting to extract LC from them via syringe...the pressure differential makes it really difficult to extract LC...in some cases I'm unable to extract any at all, in others just a single grain jar's worth, or more, so necessitating my needing to repeatedly go into the jars with the syringe which is not ideal with sterility in mind...injecting non-sterile air into the jars is also not ideal.  The problem is consistent enough that I've had enough of it and wish to amend my LC jar design to get around this for good. My jar lids use RTV silicone for the self healing injection port, and 13mm luer lock syringe filters to allow gas exchange (0.22um and made of PTFE heat resistant plastic, sold by a mycology supplier). I was thinking of switching the latter for a small section synthetic filter disc of the same material that is used in grain jar lids, which I have plenty of. I know you cannot get these wet or their ability to act as barrier against bugs will be compromised, so they obviously require more careful handling...but if it gets me past this issue I think it will easily be worth it.

I'm wondering if anyone here has used synthetic filter material in their LC jar lids with success (or failure), and whether anyone might have any alternative suggestions?

Thanks 🙂

El_Piraña

I’ve only used LC a few times, but I recall having similar issues. I also used rtv for injection port and syringe filter. 

now I’ve recently made up 10 jars of LC of various types. They’re all ready to use at this point. 

I thought that the point of using syringe filters was to allow the air to equalize and not create a vacuum while sucking out the mycelium?  By the way, what size needle are you using?

mushmouth

These are the lids I use for LC...

A jar that's holding vacuum is a huge pain in the ass. But you can take the plunger out of a syringe, stuff it full of polyfill, sterilize it, then poke it through the ship. You'll probably have to do this many times as you take seringe fulls out of the jar.

• Like 1

Samwise
On 11/10/2019 at 2:34 AM, El_Piraña said:

I’ve only used LC a few times, but I recall having similar issues. I also used rtv for injection port and syringe filter. 

now I’ve recently made up 10 jars of LC of various types. They’re all ready to use at this point. 

I thought that the point of using syringe filters was to allow the air to equalize and not create a vacuum while sucking out the mycelium?  By the way, what size needle are you using?

Hey dude,

Yeah same as my LC jar lids. I did have vacuum/pressure issues when extracting mycelium in the past but it has become a persistent issue I've had enough of. And yeah that is the theory, but for whatever reason they aren't working out for me...I'm hoping that switching to using a small section of synthetic filter disc material will allow for more gas exchange and make extracting LC easier...I will make sure not to fill the jars more than 3/4 full so I can swirl them without wetting the filter. I've heard from peeps this is definitely a viable lid for an LC jar as long as the filter is kept dry. I use 18 gauge needles with my syringes.

20 hours ago, mushmouth said:

These are the lids I use for LC...

A jar that's holding vacuum is a huge pain in the ass. But you can take the plunger out of a syringe, stuff it full of polyfill, sterilize it, then poke it through the ship. You'll probably have to do this many times as you take seringe fulls out of the jar.

Thanks dude, I will checkout MZ's guide. That's an interesting approach, but I'd like to come out with a longer term fix if I can, to make the LC extraction process as quick and stress free as possible. I think I'm going to amend my LC jar lid design to swap syringe filters for a small section of synthetic filter disc and see how I get on.

• Like 2