• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

The Cosmic Serpent

Is my harvest healthy???

Question

The Cosmic Serpent

Hi Shroomers!

I'm very much a newbie, and have been growing my first mushrooms (golden teacher) on using a kit. I would like to harness your wisdom, and get some clarity on concerns regarding potential contamination.

1. After harvesting my first flush I noticed that my cake had a couple of green patches, which I suspected was mould. with a pair of sterilised rubber gloves on, I removed the green patches from the cake with a sterilised knife (note: from what I could see, the patches were only on the mycelium, and they didn't seem to be on the substrate).
  2. I sterilised my environment and returned my cake to its chamber (well, its bag anyway). I wasn't too confident that I would get a second harvest, as I was concerned that it may be contaminated. None the less, I have just harvested my second flush, which I actually harvested a little early due to further concerns that the cake may be contaminated.

As you will see from the pictures, the shrooms look very healthy, however, my concern is with the cake. In various patches, some of the pins were dead and there were also tiny dead shrooms where there were little patches of what i suspect is mould. I've attached a picture with the bit that I picked off of my cake.

Should I be concerned? Minus the little patches of 'mould' and little dead shrooms (RIP), the mushrooms actually look perfectly normal.

I still have a couple of shrooms growing on the cake, as my intention is to use those for spore prints, incase the cake is becoming infected, I guess I want to put on my theoretical life jacket and jump ship! If the cake is infected, is it safe to use the mushrooms for spore prints?

I appreciate your support!

IMG_1312.thumb.jpg.a419f8d8c90f4d5fcbf2fb8e0742c4fc.jpg SerpentIMG_1311.jpg.52c18ff141428c3233564493bbc14ecc.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

• Like 1

1 answer to this question

Mycomeso

My opinion it looks like the cake needed bit more fanning and RH. I think it would of ignifcantly boosted yield.

• Like 2