• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

yukoncornelius

Tiny Fruits w/ Caps Opening Early = One Sad & Confused Mycologist

yukoncornelius

[*This is a X-Post, as I mistakenly posted this in the wrong forum the 1st time around because I'm a dummy.  Thanks for always being patient with noobz like me!*]

Hello My Wonderful Community of Mush-Buddies!

It is I, Yukon Cornelius, back w/ another inquiry for the coolest, most knowledgeable group of mushroom enthusiasts on the web (that’s you folks)...

Here’s the situation I’m curious about (there are pics attached illustrating the issue that’s occurring). This post is rather wordy, so if you’d rather not read everything...

[TL;DR = PF Tek set up w/ freq fanning + misting (5-10xs/day) resulting in slow growth/caps opening early/small fruits. Has this happened to you? What do you believe is the culprit/how can this be fixed?]

For those with enough time and energy to read my novel-length spiel...

The Set Up/Background Info:

-PF Tek (with some tweaks)

-Brf Cakes (1:1:2 ratio of brf, verm, & H2O, respectively)

-Lipa Yai, Quezon, & Brazil spores (inoculated via spore syringe)

Birthed approx 1 wk after 100% colonization (followed by) ~24hr dunk in cold tap H2O & subsequently cased (top & bottom) with field capacity verm; fanned & misted ~5 - 8 times per day, often misting the cakes directly when they appear or feel less than completely saturated).

-*Fruiting chamber has ~ 3” of wet coir at the bottom with 1/4” holes ~every 2inches, with about twenty (+/-), 1” holes as well (6 on each long side, 4 on each small side, & 0 on the bottom & lid... [6+6+4+4 = 20]).

*Side note: this fruiting chamber has proven successful for past attempts which utilized this very same method (most recent attempt resulted in ~60g of “cracker dry” fruits off of, like 16-18 brf cakes...  

With that said, the current situation is proving much less “fruitful,” literally and metaphorically speaking. The fruits are growing between 1/4 - 1/2 the size they were previously, with the cap opening up very early (sometimes opening while still a “pin”). They are short fruits with tiny caps and big booties* (ie: short, wide stems). I’ve attched some pics which exemplify the issue I’m inquiring about.

(*Typically I prefer a big booty, but not when it comes to boomers).

The fruiting chamber is being misted and fanned an average of ~ 5-8 times per day (pretty much fanning whenever the FC gets noticed through the day, so some days it gets fanned 10+ times) with RH between 99% on the high end (about 75% of the time), and 82% on the low end (about 25% of the time, typically right after being fanned). I’m confident that there is an adequate amount of FAE going on, and given the fact  the cakes are misted during every instance of fanning (much of the time getting misted directly),

My Hypothesis:

The potential cause of this stunted growth is likely being caused by a casing layer that is overly saturated as a result of the frequent/direct misting going on. 

The Inquiry:

Has anyone else experienced anything like this and if so, was it due (entirely or in part) to an overly saturated casing layer/cake?

It would appear that water is being evaporated since pinning is induced by evaporation, and  RH stays relatively high  however their growth stops soon after pinning which has me leaning towards wet casing as the culprit (as opposed to a lack of FAE or low RH). Also, the lid to the chamber was left off once for ~24hrs without any misting or fanning and the following day there were more pins than you could shake a stick at, supporting my wet casing layer hypothesis. 

Whether or not my hypothesis is correct, I’d still love to hear about your experiences with slow growth/small fruits/caps opening early, as well as your thoughts and opinions regarding the rather wordy situation I’ve laid out in this post. 

Thanks everyone. As always, I truly appreciate your expertise and insight and find the knowledge I acquire from my Shroomology family to be priceless. I would never have been given the opportunity to explore the many facets of this hobby. So if you currently or in the past have contributed in anyway to the info here on Shroomology, you can go to sleep tonight knowing that you have helped someone (me) have a more fulfilling, more meaningful existence. By providing me with all this knowledge, I have been reminded of the healing power of Mother Nature and given me the tools to reconnect with Her, which helps me maintain/strengthen my mental and spiritual health.

Anywho, enough rambling. I look forward to your replies!

Thanks again everyone!

-Yukon X. Cornelius

”Bumbles BOUNCE!”

Premature Fruit4.png

Premature Fruit2.png

Premature Fruit3.png

Premature Fruit1.png

• Like 1

Freshfish

I have never done cakes. It is funny for me to answer after I read that you wrote "most knowledgeable group of mushroom enthusiasts", since I am also new (not very knowledgeable, in other words).

But I can tell you that my first two grows had REALLY small mushrooms when they opened. The biggest mushroom of my first two grows was 2.5". Most of them were as small as the ones in your pictures. And that were two different varieties (Cambodia and Ecuador).

My third and fourth grow, I started misting less (but I fanned as much as before). I didn't change anything else. And then, the shrooms were in average MUCH bigger for my next two grows (also Cambodia and Ecuador).

So maybe you are also misting too much?

I don't know if it is a regular thing that too much misting results in smaller mushrooms, since I have only used multispore. But I can at least tell you tell you what I experienced.

• Like 1

tonz-o-funguy

Get some agar and learn to isolate your genetics grow them find best fruiters and keep masters. With a little research you can do this and get mushrooms forests or clone your best mushroom from your fruits to have more constancy go grains even.  I've had some cotam probs lately ugh. sometimes mushroom don't fruit some times they have small fruits this many factors come into play on this and picking a good substrain has its advantages.

• Like 2

yukoncornelius

Fresh: I think that's exactly what it is.  I equate it to when a person first gets into gardening/growing fruits/vegetables.  I call it "new grower syndrome," and it's when a person over waters/over feeds their plants/fungii in an overzealous attempt to ensure a hearty crop.  I think fanning every-other-time or even every 2-3 times would prove more successful.

funguy: I've actually JUST got started doing agar plates.  It's alright but I don't have it down yet.  I need a flowhood or something because I always get this mold/fungus/whatever-the-fuck that manifests in the form of these patches of bullshit with long grey hairs...  Shit spreads like god damn wildfire.  They've been sprayed with 10% bleach and when that doesn't work they're sprayed with a similar solution containing peroxide.  Visually, it would appear that the bleach and/or peroxide sprays are working, but within 1-4 days that grey, hairy bullshit comes creepin' back.  I think you could be right about the genetics though.  If it's not from too much misting then the genetics suck.  Now that I think about it, I'd bet that the excessive misting was in response to the presence of small fruits, so in terms of "which came first, the chicken or the egg?", the small fruits could have possibly preceded the over abundance of misting.

tonz-o-funguy

make a sab or a glove bag anything u can use to keep everything sterile a still air box does wonders. Your supposed to transfer the plate by either biopsy by just poking a spot or take the fastest growing rhizomorphic section you should never try to bleach it and still use it. tranfer away from the contam.  Follow good sterile tek use 50 or 70% percent alcohol and lysol the air. It take some getting the hang of. Retrace each step and learn to notice where you didnt wash something, or touched something or didnt wipe the jar off with alcohol, didnt clean before you spawned its the little things that get me in my excitement lol If you 1st miss one spot is all it takes. Hey you got mushrooms some dont even get that so keep at it!!!

• Like 1